Taysom Hill extends - 2 years, $21 Million

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know what was said to him but Payton’s love for him is wildly known. This isn’t some game that they are playing with him. They think he could have a Lamar Jackson like impact and are curious to design an offense around him. They are, likely, going to hand the keys to Taysom full-time in 2021 after seeing a package of plays with him at QB in 2020. The Saints are going to give him a chance to prove that he belongs. It sounds crazy but this isn’t some ploy to drum up interest. He is their guy.

Have they ever seen Taysom Hill play QB? Because I remember him at BYU and he wasn't draftable throwing the ball.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m being serious here. This has nothing to do with Duncan’s tweet. The Saints are going to give him a chance. 

I believe they may.  But that doesn’t mean they won’t also draft someone.  They’d be crazy to put all of their eggs into that basket. 

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Have they ever seen Taysom Hill play QB? Because I remember him at BYU and he wasn't draftable throwing the ball.

I’m with you. Honestly, it’s Payton’s ego imo. He believes that he can design an offense around what he does well. The weirdest part for me is that Hill is already 30 (or will be this year). 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m with you. Honestly, it’s Payton’s ego imo. He believes that he can design an offense around what he does well. The weirdest part for me is that Hill is already 30 (or will be this year). 

Yeah, the age is the biggest question mark about all of this. His developmental curve is probably at a plateau (if not already on a downward trajectory). The chances of him making strides as a passer when he's 30/31 years of age are minimal.

He always seemed like a good kid that fought through a ton of injuries, I'm glad he's got himself a bit of security. It's just crazy.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know what was said to him but Payton’s love for him is wildly known. This isn’t some game that they are playing with him. They think he could have a Lamar Jackson like impact and are curious to design an offense around him. They are, likely, going to hand the keys to Taysom full-time in 2021 after seeing a package of plays with him at QB in 2020. The Saints are going to give him a chance to prove that he belongs. It sounds crazy but this isn’t some ploy to drum up interest. He is their guy.

I'm sure Winston won't be happy to learn of that.  If they're planning on grooming Hill, he'll likely get any in-game reps over Winston, making the year a waste for him (BFD that he spent a year with Brees and Payton).

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure Winston won't be happy to learn of that.  If they're planning on grooming Hill, he'll likely get any in-game reps over Winston, making the year a waste for him (BFD that he spent a year with Brees and Payton).

Winston signed for $1.1M. He will play if Brees gets hurt or misses games.

Taysom will play his “slash” role throughout the year. The Saints will find a way to use Taysom at QB this year like the Bills once did Brad Smith. He will play some wildcat and will throw the ball some. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Winston signed for $1.1M. He will play if Brees gets hurt or misses games.

Taysom will play his “slash” role throughout the year. The Saints will find a way to use Taysom at QB this year like the Bills once did Brad Smith. He will play some wildcat and will throw the ball some. 

Very odd.  I would think they'd want to see him in actual game action during the season before committing to him as their QB of the future. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Very odd.  I would think they'd want to see him in actual game action during the season before committing to him as their QB of the future. 

What Duncan is saying is that if Brees misses a few games like last year Jameis will play. If Brees goes down for the season or for some odd reason the Saints are out of it Taysom will take over. Keep in mind Duncan has been all in on this for a while. It’s human nature to want to be right. With that being said, that’s consistent with what seems to be coming out of the offices on Airline Drive. I guess I could see the gamble if he were 24. He will be 31 in 2021. That feels like an odd time to become a franchise QB. I guess that’s about when Steve Beurlein became a franchise guy but that feels odd. Jameis is 4 years younger and has already started for 5 years.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What Duncan is saying is that if Brees misses a few games like last year Jameis will play. If Brees goes down for the season or for some odd reason the Saints are out of it Taysom will take over. Keep in mind Duncan has been all in on this for a while. It’s human nature to want to be right. With that being said, that’s consistent with what seems to be coming out of the offices on Airline Drive. I guess I could see the gamble if he were 24. He will be 31 in 2021. That feels like an odd time to become a franchise QB. I guess that’s about when Steve Beurlein became a franchise guy but that feels odd. Jameis is 4 years younger and has already started for 5 years.

It's an aberration and not the norm.  But again, not my team.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

he’s also not thrown the ball that well in live action. The Vikings bomb was terribly under thrown for instance. 

but I guess they see him in practice day in and day out so you have to trust a little bit. I thought they were playing a game heaping the praise on but this contract says otherwise.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

he’s also not thrown the ball that well in live action. The Vikings bomb was terribly under thrown for instance. 

but I guess they see him in practice day in and day out so you have to trust a little bit. I thought they were playing a game heaping the praise on but this contract says otherwise.

I never understood it but didn’t think it was BS. I’m assuming it’s primarily Payton’s ego. If he’s right he probably ends up in the HOF (he might anyways). It is a legacy play at some level. It’s bold but if there is one thing Sean Payton believes in it is Sean Payton.