Taysom Hill extends - 2 years, $21 Million

On 4/27/2020 at 6:34 AM, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I watch a ton of Saints football for fantasy reasons and because I'm a huge Brees fan (Purdue is my college team). I think even without additional targets, he's worth this contract. He opens up plays for first downs and TDs as a decoy when he's not targeted. In the redzone, he has to be specifically schemed for, giving defensive coordinators something else to worry about. You'll also see double coverage roll with him, both intentionally and unintentionally.

So, you force the other team to spend time in the film room and practice to prepare for him, he opens up opportunities for other players, and running/catching/passing he's going to account for about 10 TDs a year (I think he'll get more passing opportunities this upcoming year). I think that's worth the contract he received.

Bonus, if he continues to develop maybe he's the replacement for Brees. Maybe not, but they have 2 more years to figure it out with a guy who's not simply taking up a roster spot on the bench.

He's pretty old already to be any kind of long term replacement. Plus he has very few pass attempts. He's more a runner and receiver.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's pretty old already to be any kind of long term replacement. Plus he has very few pass attempts. He's more a runner and receiver.

I would bet a lot of money that he never becomes a successful starting QB in the nfl.  They try to act like he could be a Lamar Jackson. Difference is Jackson was awesome in college while Hill was average as a 35 year old at BYU.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Taysom Hill had 7 TD's last year. That's more than any skill position player on the Bills in 2019.  Not including the QB, obviously.

Ah.  I missed the receiving TDs since it wasn't listed on his NFL.com career page.  OK then, he's worth every penny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would bet a lot of money that he never becomes a successful starting QB in the nfl.  They try to act like he could be a Lamar Jackson. Difference is Jackson was awesome in college while Hill was average as a 35 year old at BYU.

Well actually he was just always injured in college. Not much to go on.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Well actually he was just always injured in college. Not much to go on.

He wasn’t anything special when he did play.  58% passer, yuck. Plus, he was older and more developed than a lot of college guys he went against.  BYU is at such an advantage because of their missions.  They have grown men.

54 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

The Taysom Hill phenomenon makes me feel like I'm the subject of an elaborate joke that everyone else is in on and I'm not.  

What is so incredible about this guy that he gets this much?

Big, fast, versatile and white...that’s pretty much what it is

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is Tim Tebow on steroids.  He will never be a full time qb.  My man wasn’t even that good in college while he was older than most players.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taysom-hill-1.html

kinda blows my mind that he deserves this much money but he is fun.  Wild that taking Brees off the field is a good playcall but what do I know.  

I was actually about to make the Tebow comparison. How does Tebow get bounced out of the league but Hill gets overpaid? 

I think some of that deals with the fact that Hill hasn’t played enough snaps to become exposed yet. That he has seen only limited action and as a gadget guy probably inflates his value. 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I was actually about to make the Tebow comparison. How does Tebow get bounced out of the league but Hill gets overpaid? 

I think some of that deals with the fact that Hill hasn’t played enough snaps to become exposed yet. That he has seen only limited action and as a gadget guy probably inflates his value. 

The reality is they are totally different athletes. Taysom is a WAY better athlete than Tebow. Hill runs a 4.44 and has a 38.5 inch vertical. Tim Tebow had the same vertical but ran a 4.71. For comparison sake Stefon Diggs ran a 4.46 and has a 35 inch vertical.

Duncan is the Saints beat reporter...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They really aren’t. That’s why this is so crazy. They honestly believe he is the next big star in this league. 

Did they tell Hill?  If so, why a 2-year deal when Brees is going to retire at the end of the season?

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He may be the most untouchable Saint outside of Brees.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did they tell Hill?  If so, why a 2-year deal when Brees is going to retire at the end of the season?

I don’t know what was said to him but Payton’s love for him is wildly known. This isn’t some game that they are playing with him. They think he could have a Lamar Jackson like impact and are curious to design an offense around him. They are, likely, going to hand the keys to Taysom full-time in 2021 after seeing a package of plays with him at QB in 2020. The Saints are going to give him a chance to prove that he belongs. It sounds crazy but this isn’t some ploy to drum up interest. He is their guy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They really aren’t. That’s why this is so crazy. They honestly believe he is the next big star in this league. 

And we’re so totally, absolutely, definitely not drafting a QB to replace Brees next year.  No way.  Scout’s honor.