Which 6-8 players/positions will the Bills pay big money to?

Logic

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's a completely different animal when you have a home grown player in the same scheme. Unless you see McDermott leaving Milano is going to keep playing 100% of the snaps. I mean he's not even being pushed for snaps. 

Your right it is.  Meaning it will be easier and cheaper to retain.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So looking at the advanced metrics on https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00.htm

He missed tackles at a Higher Rate than Thompson and Jones.  And had Similar Pass Defense Stats

And Alexander I say the same to that agent I said here, that the team less than a year later wants that contract and player off their books.

If you boost the practical guarantees and it's more likely he sees years 3/4 of the deal (guaranteed base salaries that trigger a year in advance), i could see it making sense for him to sign.

I could also see them rolling with a tweener LB/S in the 2nd round and replacing some of his snaps that way moving forward.  Depends too what they think they have on the bench in dodson/joseph.  So there are a lot of factors.  

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm just playing "agent"/devils advocate.  Wouldn't these players contracts make him want to at least be in that same area?  Van Noy rushes the passer a bit more, but he could theoretically fall in the so called 3-down LBer role.  

I mean - he had a really positive rookie year i thought.  His numbers aren't insane but again... he was a rookie.  I'm hopeful for a good jump in year 2.

He did have a good rookie year and got better as the season went. So I’m hopeful too. Guess I’m just a prove it kind of person. Yeah being he was the 9th pick we should hope he becomes special.

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

It takes two to tango on early extensions. 

I also disagree that they’ll try to re-sign Edmunds after 3 seasons, when they have him on a cost-controlled rookie deal for 1-2 seasons beyond that. 

What they do with Tre White will tell us a lot about how they view optimal extension windows.

After watching the the Jordan Doc, I think the move is getting premium players signed early, gets them more money much quicker.  It allows the team to bring the cost down during their primes.  Edmunds and Allen are the only 2 I would consider this with.  For me to do that the both have all pro/ voted in pro bowl quality seasons.  I think the Bills are on the come up.  Get them to extend a year early.  If KC could have signed Mahomes before he won a Superbowl it would have cost way less money.

Just now, dneveu said:

If you boost the practical guarantees and it's more likely he sees years 3/4 of the deal (guaranteed base salaries that trigger a year in advance), i could see it making sense for him to sign.

I could also see them rolling with a tweener LB/S in the 2nd round and replacing some of his snaps that way moving forward.  Depends too what they think they have on the bench in dodson/joseph.  So there are a lot of factors.  

Yes, it will take a high pick. They could do that. 

I think they love Milano though.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

There are, and like most Bills players I want the good ones re-signed.  Milano is one of those players, but my Cap on his value is 10M.  Anything more and I think I am looking elsewhere to put that money

Just now, Bring it said:

He did have a good rookie year and got better as the season went. So I’m hopeful too. Guess I’m just a prove it kind of person. Yeah being he was the 9th pick we should hope he becomes special.

I just look at guys like Gerald McCoy, Kawann Short, Geno Atkins and their numbers during rookie seasons... its a lot to make a big impact at that position as a rookie.  Wilkins and Williams both struggled to make major impact during their rookie seasons more than i felt Oliver did.  

Then realizing he came from a small school where he was playing nose tackle, and its a lot of change for him moving to 3T.  

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

After watching the the Jordan Doc, I think the move is getting premium players signed early, gets them more money much quicker.  It allows the team to bring the cost down during their primes.  Edmunds and Allen are the only 2 I would consider this with.  For me to do that the both have all pro/ voted in pro bowl quality seasons.  I think the Bills are on the come up.  Get them to extend a year early.  If KC could have signed Mahomes before he won a Superbowl it would have cost way less money.

I mean - he won the MVP the year before and threw 50 TD passes.  He's going to be the highest paid player. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He did in 2018. Hopefully year 2 from injury he returns to that.

Yeah he did before injury! I can’t expect him to be fully back in one year because it usually doesn’t happen. I know his coverage on James White was outstanding in the Patriots games. Not an easy assignment for a backer!!

1 minute ago, Bring it said:

Yeah he did before injury! I can’t expect him to be fully back in one year because it usually doesn’t happen. I know his coverage on James White was outstanding in the Patriots games. Not an easy assignment for a backer!!

It was a late injury also. At the time of the injury he was our best front 7 player.

15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Right. But the point is that players and their agents know this, too. Many players would rather bet on themselves, knowing that the earlier they sign, the less money they ultimately get. Not all players prioritize getting paid sooner over getting paid more. Every player is different.

22 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just look at guys like Gerald McCoy, Kawann Short, Geno Atkins and their numbers during rookie seasons... its a lot to make a big impact at that position as a rookie.  Wilkins and Williams both struggled to make major impact during their rookie seasons more than i felt Oliver did.  

Then realizing he came from a small school where he was playing nose tackle, and its a lot of change for him moving to 3T.  

I mean - he won the MVP the year before and threw 50 TD passes.  He's going to be the highest paid player. 

You could say the same about Jordan though.  It only works at the premier player on the team though.  Getting Mahomes before Dak signs for 35 to 40 mil is the move.  Before Watson re ups. 

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right. But the point is that players and their agents know this, too. Many players would rather bet on themselves, knowing that the earlier they sign, the less money they ultimately get. Not all players prioritize getting paid sooner over getting paid more. Every player is different.

Some will take top 10.b  Still a massive pay increase and signing bonus.  2 years at best or 4 years at worst before getting 20 to 25% more isnt smart imo.

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I honestly think it's more McDermott than Beane but they work well together. I think McDermott is truly running the show.

Maybe so. Beane goes and gets the player that Mcd wants!? He should definitely have a say in the type of athlete he wants in a given position. McDermott is absolutely setting the culture though!!

55 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I honestly think it's more McDermott than Beane but they work well together. I think McDermott is truly running the show.

I don’t. Just look at the contracts given out since Beane got here compared to the offseason McD was running the show. There is a STARK difference in how they are structured and such. Also do you think with a Franchise Tag Available Beane would have let Gilmore walk for NOTHING. When he trades the likes of McCarren and Teller 

Edited by MAJBobby

29 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t. Just look at the contracts given out since Beane got here compared to the offseason McD was running the show. There is a STARK difference in how they are structured and such. Also do you think with a Franchise Tag Available Beane would have let Gilmore walk for NOTHING. When he trades the likes of McCarren and Teller 

That would be where I believe they work together. In terms of roster construction I think it's McDermott. Doesn't really matter.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That would be where I believe they work together. In terms of roster construction I think it's McDermott. Doesn't really matter.

That’s how it should work. Coach tells the GM what he is looking for GM and Scouts go get it 

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This is a bit hard as a couple are already paid in reality but will list him anyway, the 6-8 I would pay are:

1. Josh Allen (Eventually, 2022).

2.  Stefon Diggs (already above 10M)

3. Mitch Morse (Already abov 10M)

4. Dion Dawkins (This year)

5. Ed Oliver (2023)

6. Tremaine Edmunds (2022)

7. Matt Milano (this year) (though I think he doesn't make 10M a year when it is done)

8. Tre White - (Next year)

There is you immediate Core IMO  The Issue it which one falls off to pay your DE.  I think that would be a combination of Hughes and Murphys pay (to pay the new Core DE) and the other DE would be the middle class NFL player

Totally agree.  Milano could be the odd man out if he over values himself.  And, I agree with you that it will end up being about $10 M or less if he sticks with the Bills.  And, I think he will.

Go Bills!