Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buffalo Barbarian

It's Happening !!!

Recommended Posts

"An overwhelming 88 percent of Football Bowl Subdivision athletic directors said they want to see the College Football Playoff expand after the playoff agreement expires following the 2025 season.

Brett McMurphy of Stadium reported Wednesday that 112 of the 130 FBS ADs responded to the outlet's survey about the state of college football. Of the respondents, 72 percent were in favor of an eight-team playoff, and 8 percent suggested a substantial increase to 16 qualifiers.

"More and more fans are only concerned with the playoffs," a Power Five AD told McMurphy. "That's sad, but true, so we should expand the playoffs when possible. Even if that impacts the bowl system. We have to figure out a way."

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885644-stadium-poll-88-of-fbs-ads-favor-expanded-college-football-playoff

  • Meh 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Then they should do away with conference championships. A case could be made that these kids play too many games now. I think it is totally unfair to have them play even more games and take a bigger risk of injury and losing millions of dollars.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Then they should do away with conference championships. A case could be made that these kids play too many games now. I think it is totally unfair to have them play even more games and take a bigger risk of injury and losing millions of dollars.

Jmo.

 

i think they should too, have to wait and see.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was inevitable, but it should have been this many teams from the beginning.

 

The bowl games have lost their prestige, and there's far too many of them and who really cares about them anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They can also hack a couple of the non conference cupcakes off the schedules. Play two non conference with at least one of them a power 5 opponent and make the rest conference games until the playoff. I know this hurts the ability to get the young players quality playing time but have to give up something 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

It was inevitable, but it should have been this many teams from the beginning.

 

The bowl games have lost their prestige, and there's far too many of them and who really cares about them anymore?

 

once they get up to 32 teams it will be like just like old times with the outback potato Tropicana bowl :D

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

"An overwhelming 88 percent of Football Bowl Subdivision athletic directors said they want to see the College Football Playoff expand after the playoff agreement expires following the 2025 season.

Brett McMurphy of Stadium reported Wednesday that 112 of the 130 FBS ADs responded to the outlet's survey about the state of college football. Of the respondents, 72 percent were in favor of an eight-team playoff, and 8 percent suggested a substantial increase to 16 qualifiers.

"More and more fans are only concerned with the playoffs," a Power Five AD told McMurphy. "That's sad, but true, so we should expand the playoffs when possible. Even if that impacts the bowl system. We have to figure out a way."

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885644-stadium-poll-88-of-fbs-ads-favor-expanded-college-football-playoff

 

If FCS, D2 and D3 can manage a real playoff, FBS can too.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

If FCS, D2 and D3 can manage a real playoff, FBS can too.

 

Exactly, the bowl games have always been in the way but now that the fans (money) want it, it is finally coming to fruition.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

 

Exactly, the bowl games have always been in the way but now that the fans (money) want it, it is finally coming to fruition.

 

 

 

How many games do the other divisions play? I don't follow them so I don't know.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

How many games do the other divisions play? I don't follow them so I don't know.

 

FCS starts with 24 teams. D2 has 28. D3 has 32.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

FCS starts with 24 teams. D2 has 28. D3 has 32.

Actually I was wondering how many regular season games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Actually I was wondering how many regular season games.

 

It varies but most play 12..

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24+ teams?!?  Talk bout diluting the best regular season there is. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bbb said:

24+ teams?!?  Talk bout diluting the best regular season there is. 

 

Hardly. Is March Madness "diluted" because a champion emerges from a 68 team field?  Major college football has always been a beauty contest. It ought to be won on the field from a schedule NOT of your choosing.

 

If I ran things I would include every FBS conference champion in a playoff because every school ought to start the year with a path to the national championship, like in basketball.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

Hardly. Is March Madness "diluted" because a champion emerges from a 68 team field?  Major college football has always been a beauty contest. It ought to be won on the field from a schedule NOT of your choosing.

 

If I ran things I would include every FBS conference champion in a playoff because every school ought to start the year with a path to the national championship, like in basketball.

 

You're totally in reverse.  March Madness is not the regular season.  The regular season is absolutely diluted.  For schools like UB and Bona, it isn't - but for teams that know they are going to be in the tourney every year, it totally is.  ALL that matters is March Madness then.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bbb said:

 

You're totally in reverse.  March Madness is not the regular season.  The regular season is absolutely diluted.  For schools like UB and Bona, it isn't - but for teams that know they are going to be in the tourney every year, it totally is.  ALL that matters is March Madness then.  

Every time some BS school rains 3-pointers and upsets a much better team in March Madness, the product is diluted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 12:30 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

 

If FCS, D2 and D3 can manage a real playoff, FBS can too.

I've been saying this for years.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rico said:

Every time some BS school rains 3-pointers and upsets a much better team in March Madness, the product is diluted.

 

True..................And, I know it wasn't your point, but I hate how the 3 pointer has changed the game.  It's all that matters now.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

FCS starts with 24 teams. D2 has 28. D3 has 32.

 

32 works for me, more games more fun, more money, win win.

 

 

17 hours ago, bbb said:

24+ teams?!?  Talk bout diluting the best regular season there is. 

 

Works for basketball with March Madness, maybe they can call it December Dominance :D

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

Hardly. Is March Madness "diluted" because a champion emerges from a 68 team field?  Major college football has always been a beauty contest. It ought to be won on the field from a schedule NOT of your choosing.

 

If I ran things I would include every FBS conference champion in a playoff because every school ought to start the year with a path to the national championship, like in basketball.

The conference championship involves yet another game. Exactly how many games should these kids be forced to play?  Honestly Promo, would you have a limit in mind?

My thing is that no matter how many teams there are in the playoffs, someone is going to be pissed that their team is left out.  I do not think that college kids should have to play 16 or 17 games. Basketball is a bad comparison. The injury rate in football is 100%. It is just a matter of how serious one's injuries are.

I LOVE college football, but these kids shouldn't have to risk injury (and missing out on millions of dollars) even more than they already do.

Jmo. :thumbsup:

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...