What's Up Bills Fans

Travis will be one of the best backs in the league if he should learn better pass blocking skills. 

307679[/snapback]

Therein lies the problem. HEnry can't learn! He is one IQ point above retarded. If he gets traded to the Eagles they will have to seriously dumb down their West-Coast offense for him or else he will be on the bench.

Henry is a stupid one dimensional RB who will look comical in a complicated offensive scheme.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Therein lies the problem. HEnry can't learn! He is one IQ point above retarded. If he gets traded to the Eagles they will have to seriously dumb down their West-Coast offense for him or else he will be on the bench.

Henry is a stupid one dimensional RB who will look comical in a complicated offensive scheme.

307739[/snapback]

His two best years were in extremely complicated offensive scheme. His worst year was in the scaled down version.

His two best years were in extremely complicated offensive scheme. His worst year was in the scaled down version.

307742[/snapback]

lets be clear on those two years in an "extremely complicated offensive scheme." In those years we ran a "mini-Gilbride" system because our WR and QB could not get on the same page - a necessity in the hybrid-run-n-shoot Gilbride system. In those years, Henry routinely missed blocks, ran the wrong patterns, and accounted for a good portion of sacks. That system, from an RB perspective, was not nearly as compicated as Andy Reid's West Coast system.

If you like losing battles you can continue to defend Henry's intelligence. Look, Henry is good if you tell him "get ball, and run here" and that is ALL you ask him (even then he will go the wrong way on occasion). He hits a hole harder than most backs in the league - but once you ask him toe exercise any kind of judgment, interpretation, or discretion you are in for a world of hurt.

lets be clear on those two years in an "extremely complicated offensive scheme." In those years we ran a "mini-Gilbride" system because our WR and QB could not get on the same page - a necessity in the hybrid-run-n-shoot Gilbride system. In those years, Henry routinely missed blocks, ran the wrong patterns, and accounted for a good portion of sacks. That system, from an RB percpective, was not nearly as compicated as Andy Reid's West Coast system.

If you like losing battles you can continue to defend Henry's intelligence. Look, HEnry is good if you tell him "get ball, and run here" and that is ALL you ask him (even then he will go the wrong way on occasion). He hits a hole harder than most backs in the league - but once you ask him toe exercise any kind of judgment, interpretation, or discretion you are in for a world of hurt.

307751[/snapback]

I never defended his intelligence, and said he was not a smart guy. I was only refering to your post. Henry learned four different offenses in five years counting college. He played in a west coast offense his rookie year and beat out three runners, all of whom are still playing in the NFL in training camp. And I'm sorry but his lack of blocking skills have very little to do with his intelligence or lack thereof. He would normally be in position and then just whiff or get bulldozed. And i really don't think he routinely ran the wrong patterns, I would say he did it once in a while. He managed to catch 43 passes without playing third downs, he couldnt have missed too many.

Guest BackInDaDay

I love Henry's effort, but he has limited skills. In the right system he's still a 1400 yard rusher. From what I've seen of the Eagles, they like stretching the coverage, and throwing underneath to their backs. Coach Reid's WCO roots. In all fairness to Henry, elusiveness and pass-receiving are not his strengths.

I think you may have a 'Henry' type back already signed. Eric McCoo.

I remember him from his Red Bank Regional (NJ shore) days. I don't know why he went undrafted after finishing his Penn State career as the team's 9th all-time rusher. I know that he tore up his knee trying to make the Bears a couple years back. If he's fully recovered, and has overcome whatever scared NFL scouts away in '02, he will make the Eagles '05 roster and contribute.

I think Travis will have a chip on his shoulder the size of Manhattan and play lights out this year for whoever he signs with.

307665[/snapback]

Remember he was supposed to do the same thing last year and fight off

a competing tailbak in McGahee.....and the guy couldn't get it done in the

1st six games...

Just curious about Travis Henry.  Beings that the Eagles are now reported as being interested in Henry I just want to know what you all think are his flaws and his best attributes are.  Also, does he seem to be a "locker room" guy?  Thanks for the input.  I'm just wanting to know what we get if we do actually trade for him.

307653[/snapback]

i'm going to attempt to interject with what i believe is a fair assessment of travis henry, uncolored by my rooting interests:

pros:

-- hits the hole hard, is a tremendously tough-nosed runner.

-- has a nose for the end zone.

-- receiving skills are underrated; has decent hands.

-- has high threshold for pain.

-- rarely goes down with the first hit.

cons:

-- blitz pickups a real weak point.

-- questionable attitude; did not respond well when mcgahee was drafted.

-- for being such a powerful runner, is not as "automatic" in short yardage situations as one would expect.

-- lacks breakaway speed.

-- has a noted learning disability, which may prevent him from functioning optimally in a complex system (may account for difficulty w/ things such as blitz pickups, etc.).

-- previously had difficulty with fumbling; may have corrected this though.

all in all, TH is an above-average RB who, as a team's feature back, should rank in the top 15 in terms of yards rushing and TDs. his deficiencies may be masked if he is not asked to do too much. he's not a "change of pace" back -- he's a workhorse, and needs to tote the rock 20-25 times a game in order to wear opponents down.

that's all i got.

I think you may have a 'Henry' type back already signed.  Eric McCoo.

I remember him from his Red Bank Regional (NJ shore) days.  I don't know why he went undrafted after finishing his Penn State career as the team's 9th all-time rusher.  I know that he tore up his knee trying to make the Bears a couple years back.  If he's fully recovered, and has overcome whatever scared NFL scouts away in '02, he will make the Eagles '05 roster and contribute.

307761[/snapback]

Penn St. backs historically have not done well in the NFL. Especially ones with bad knee injuries.

Remember he was supposed to do the same thing last year and fight off

a competing tailbak in McGahee.....and the guy couldn't get it done in the

1st six games...

307765[/snapback]

Travis was terrible last year but for the first six games everyone on offense was terrible. Virtually everyone. The offense was not learned yet. The line was banged up and played awful. Drew was extremely erratic. Moulds was dropping balls. Reed and Shaw were stumbling bad and dropping passes. Every play someone else would miss an assignment. Evans had yet to make it on the field much. The TEs were non-existent. Shelton hadn't hit his stride. The play-calling was erratic and suspect. Even Willis when he played was sluggish.

Guest BackInDaDay
Penn St. backs historically have not done well in the NFL.  Especially ones with bad knee injuries.

307772[/snapback]

I don't want to make this about McCoo, but was he previously injured at State? That would explain his going undrafted. I only heard about the injury he suffered in Bears camp. Just curious as to what happenned to him.

Agree about State backs. "The Bills, with their first pick of the 1981 draft, choose Booker Moore of Penn State". :doh:

A couple points I haven't heard anyone mention:

Travis is extremely strong. I think he bench presses 435 lbs. (Anyone else remember this?)

Travis seemed to like contact and would often play stronger after he got hit a couple times. His endurance was good and he would often do well late in games when the opponents looked tired of throwing themselves at him.

I'd say he hit as hard as most LBs, so if the hit wasn't square, he'd keep rolling, and definitely gave as many hits as he took.

Negatives: as others have alluded to, Travis does not have good balance, or vision.

Guest BackInDaDay
what about lydell mitchell and franco harris?

307859[/snapback]

Couple of great ones, no doubt.

Here's the list of PSU ball-carriers drafted into the NFL. Many hopefuls, but only a few had careers of any note.

2004 Sean McHugh FB - Titans

2003 Larry Johnson RB - Chiefs

2002 Omar Easy RB - Chiefs

2001 NONE

2000 NONE

1999 NONE

1998 Curtis Enis RB - Bears

1997 NONE

1996 Jon Witman RB - Steelers

Brian Milne RB - Colts

Stephen Pitts RB - 49ers

Mike Archie RB - Oilers

1995 Ki-Jana Carter RB - Bengals

1994 NONE

1993 Richie Anderson RB - Jets

1992 Sam Gash FB - Patriots

1991 Leroy Thompson RB - Steelers

Gary Brown RB - Oilers

1990 Blair Thomas RB - Jets

1989 NONE

1988 NONE

1987 D.J. Dozier RB - Vikings

Tim Manoa RB - Browns

Steve Smith RB - Raiders

1986 Tony Mumford RB - Patriots

1985 NONE

1984 Jonathan Williams RB - Patriots

1983 Curt Warner RB - Seahawks

1982 Mike Meade RB - Packers

1981 Booker Moore RB - Bills

1980 Matt Suhey RB - Bears

Mike Guman RB - Rams

1979 Bob Torrey RB - Giants

1978 Steve Geise RB - Bengals

1977 NONE

1976 NONE

1975 Tom Donchez RB - Bills

1974 John Cappelletti RB - Rams

1973 NONE

1972 Franco Harris RB - Steelers

Lydell Mitchell RB - Colts

1971 NONE

1970 Charlie Pittman RB - Cardinals

1969 Bob Campbell RB - Steelers

1968 NONE

1967 Mike Irwin RB - Bills

1966 Don Kunit RB - Cowboys

1965 NONE

1964 Tom Urbanik FB - Redskins

1963 Dave Hayes FB - Colts

1962 Roger Kochman RB - Cardinals

Al Gursky RB - Giants

1961 James Kerr RB - Redskins

Don Jonas RB - Eagles

1960 NONE

1959 NONE

1958 NONE

1957 NONE

1956 Lenny Moore RB - Colts

Henry is the perfect complement to Westbrook. He will get all the tough yards that Westbrook doesn't and they could play in the backfield at the same time. Henry is a workhorse and if used properly is a quality starting RB. Unfortunately, McGahee is also a workhorse type back with better escapibility and at 100% has better break-away speed.

Henry is the perfect complement to Westbrook.  He will get all the tough yards that Westbrook doesn't and they could play in the backfield at the same time.  Henry is a workhorse and if used properly is a quality starting RB.  Unfortunately, McGahee is also a workhorse type back with better escapibility and at 100% has better break-away speed.

307901[/snapback]

I didn't think they have re-signed Westbrook yet. If they don't, they need a back that is a big part of the pass offense - which is likely not TH.

A couple points I haven't heard anyone mention:

Travis is extremely strong. I think he bench presses 435 lbs. (Anyone else remember this?)

:D Perfectly put!

307932[/snapback]

i heard during a game cast on cbs that it was 495 pounds