KFC in Texas Greets PETA With Sprinklers

link

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A trio of animal-rights protesters didn't find any welcome mat when they stopped at a KFC, but the restaurant manager did turn on the sprinkler system for them.

Manager John Olivo turned the sprinklers on full blast to soak the protesters from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals who were standing by the curb. They were campaigning for more humane methods of killing.

The protesters, including one in a chicken suit, were followed by a man with a microphone who said he eats beef.

"You're not going to win, not in Brownsville," David Ingersoll shouted through his microphone at the protesters at a busy intersection. His stepchildren passed out anti-PETA pamphlets to stopped drivers.

The PETA members did not give up on their message.

"It hasn't been quite like this in other parts of the state," said Chris Link, PETA's campaign coordinator, who is traveling to protest KFC in 12 Texas cities.

"It's a rarity that we get this," he said after being doused by the sprinklers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fug KFC. Go ahead and cheer for them, real nice. What they do to animals is more than inhumane - it's a crime. Take a peruse through some of the expose journalism that's been written about the chicken conditions at KFC - absolutely horrid and disgusting. And if you eat their products, you're ingesting some seriously negative karma.

Fug KFC.  Go ahead and cheer for them, real nice.  What they do to animals is more than inhumane - it's a crime.  Take a peruse through some of the expose journalism that's been written about the chicken conditions at KFC - absolutely horrid and disgusting.  And if you eat their products, you're ingesting some seriously negative karma.

307599[/snapback]

Point taken, but the Extra Crispy "Serious Negative Karma" really is tasty as hell.

We're at the top of the food chain. Chickens are treated terribly, yes, being stacked on top of each other, beaks cut off, crapping on each other, etc, but listen, we eat billions of them. We don't really have the room to be putting them up in 4 star hotels.

It's a common misconception in the PETA crowd that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC because the FCC ruled it was illegal to call what they serve "chicken". In fact, it's because the State of Kentucky (maybe Commonwealth) copyrighted its name and demanded royalties. They got a upraised finger.

If it was up to me, I'd rather they didn't call that crap they serve "fried chicken". It's a disgrace to a part of this country's true culinary heritage.

Point taken, but the Extra Crispy "Serious Negative Karma" really is tasty as hell.

We're at the top of the food chain. Chickens are treated terribly, yes, being stacked on top of each other, beaks cut off, crapping on each other,  etc, but listen, we eat billions of them.  We don't really have the room to be putting them up in 4 star hotels.

307605[/snapback]

ROTFLMMFAOSMP!!!!!! :doh:

Oh man where the fug were you hiding at? You're too funny. You should be arrested.

Seriously.

Fug KFC.  Go ahead and cheer for them, real nice.  What they do to animals is more than inhumane - it's a crime.  Take a peruse through some of the expose journalism that's been written about the chicken conditions at KFC - absolutely horrid and disgusting.  And if you eat their products, you're ingesting some seriously negative karma.

307599[/snapback]

Great. Now I am in the mood for KFC. :doh:

Now I know what I am doing for lunch. Question, though: do their biscuits contain negative karma as well?

I'll admit Stojan, yer post made me laugh... and y'all are definitely in the vast majority. That being said, you can't tell me that pumping an animal that full of fear, pain and discomfort before murdering it in grisly fashion doesn't have any effect on what is ingested. Call it karma, call it chemical/molecular/magnetic/whathaveyou discharges, there is no way I'll be putting something like that into my body. I've got a spiritual balance sheet to be concerned with. Becoming vegetarian was one of the best decisions I've ever made - it's easy, healthy, and morally enlightened. At the very least, were I to eat meat, it would be kosher meat, because at least then I'm assured that the animal led a decent life and suffered a relatively painless, honorable death.

But you guys go ahead and eat your buckets of torture and death, hey, for $5.99, you can't beat it.

307599[/snapback]

At least we know who was in the chicken suit now. :doh:

But you guys go ahead and eat your buckets of torture and death, hey, for $5.99, you can't beat it.

307736[/snapback]

But what about the death that stems from the production of frozen soy burgers? Plants are people too you know... :doh:

But what about the death that stems from the production of frozen soy burgers?  Plants are people too you know...  :doh:

307746[/snapback]

At least chickens can fight back. They can peck with their beaks. What defenses do plants have? NONE!! Friggin vegans. They only eat things that can't fight back.

At least chickens can fight back. They can peck with their beaks. What defenses do plants have? NONE!! Friggin vegans. They only eat things that can't fight back.

307753[/snapback]

The way they treat broccoli is horrific. All stacked up and bunched together. Go ahead vegans eat your stalks of death.

My opinion: there isn't much that is funny about killing animals.  If you're going to do it, do it with respect.  Just my opinion.

307758[/snapback]

So you have gluttony as your avatar? How's that's funny?

My opinion: there isn't much that is funny about killing animals.  If you're going to do it, do it with respect.  Just my opinion.

307758[/snapback]

NEWS FLASH!! THEY'RE FOOD!!!!!!!! I for one couldn't live on bean sprouts and tofu. Could they find a better way to kill them, probably but.....