A summary of the last few days of trade talks

Multiple teams are rumored in the TH talks. Washington's DC Gregg Williams wants Nate Clements. Buffalo is interested in OT Jammal Brown. The Bills are without a 1st rd pick/early 2nd rd pick. A lot of action going on here. So how does Donahoe put it all together? Look at the past and current tendencies of GM Tom Donahoe and you might make sense of it. But boy, what a Rubik's cube!

Washington's DC Gregg Williams drafted RCB Nate Clements. The 'Skins in the last few years have lost CB Champ Bailey and Fred Smoots. They are very young in their secondary with the exception of 1 or 2 aging veterans. They currently hold the #9 pick overall in this year's draft. Oh, did I mention that a couple of days ago that there were whispers of Washington trading out or down in the 1st rd for a veteran CB? Hold that thought for a minute.

Tampa recently jumps in the TH sweepstakes. The point that Buffalo fans should not overlook is that the trade apparently does not involve draft pick(s). If you look back at the Gruden era, you'll noticed that Chucky has continuously run off Tony Dungy's veterans. Does the axe keep on swinging?

Donahoe's secondary is entrenched with, should I say, seasoned veterans. Nate Clements is approaching the end of his contract. Let me ask you this, what do you think Donahoe will do? Resign Clements for big dollars? Better yet, let me ask Antoine Winfield, Jonas Jennings and Pat Williams. TD rarely resigns his FAs. I don't know why, but he doesn't. He'll trade like hell or pick-up FAs by the truckload, but for some reason when one of his players gets to the last year of their contract and no talks have been mentioned, then they are as good as gone.

Buffalo has no 1st rd pick. That's got to be killing Tom. He's not even remotely close to a early 2nd rd pick. I'd say that would make his hair turn gray, but it's too late for that. So why in the world would he even be talking to OT Jammal Brown? Because this maniac is going to show everybody again that he's a natural born world shaker, that's why.

Looking at all these swirling rumors, I think I have to reaccess my thoughts and opinions on this possible scenario(s). It's a shocker and I'm not sure that I like or agree with it. So with no further ado, here I go.

1) Buffalo trades RB Travis Henry straight up for Tampa's RCB Ronde Barber.

2) Buffalo then trades RCB Nate Clements to the Redskins for their 9th pick and maybe, just maybe an additional late rd pick.

3) Buffalo then selects OT Jammal Brown with the 9th pick in the draft.

Donahoe did say that we needed to upgrade our offense and we would still have our 2nd rd pick at #55. What we would do with this pick is beyond me. At this point you could make a case for either side of the ball. Obviously the best player available would be selected here.

I know that this sounds radical and I'm not correlating this thought as well as I would like to but it's very late. I just wanted to share this idea. Hopefully it can make sense for some of you and not just to me.

Ijust have to ask. Does this seem possible? Would we really trade Clements? Does Barber fill the position adequately? With McNally, do we need to pick a O-lineman this early? How about some input on this scenario from the Buffalo faithful.

Oops, I have to mention a disclaimer. After I posted this I read after the fact that Albany,n.y. alluded to this very thought on another post. I apologize for repeating your prediction Albany,n.y. His response was on the post "So the real question is....Kenyatta Walker or L.J. Shelton". Kudos to Albany for his creative insight. At least one good thing happen about making this post, it's I'm not crazy for thinking these thoughts!

TD rarely resigns his FAs. I don't know why, but he doesn't. He'll trade like hell or pick-up FAs by the truckload, but for some reason when one of his players gets to the last year of their contract and no talks have been mentioned, then they are as good as gone.

Aaron Schoebel is laughing all the way to the bank. But I don't expect he'll be around for his entire contract, unless he ponies up more than 8.5 coverage sacks per year. If Kelsay doesn't develop fast (I think he will) or even if he does, I'd expect TD to draft a DE early in next year's draft. AS's signing seemed much more like the Dutch boy with his finger in the dike than a long-term solution.

This is a valid criticism of TD's management style. I can't say as I disagree with it. You can't kill your cap w/ a few players and have gaping holes of mediocrity/has-beens everywhere else.

Because this maniac is going to show everybody again that he's a natural born world shaker, that's why.

"Always said you were a youth quaker, [TD]. A stormy little world shaker..."

I don't know about a world shaker, but it certainly would be a draft shaker if TD did that. I would be very happy with that scenario, provided the Bills traded down from #9.

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Who remembers TD talking about taking a LB with our pick at 55 if it was the best player available. This sounded like a smoke screen at first, but...

If we get the #9 pick, would it be way off base to think that TD may pick Merriman, or Johnson to add youth to our aging LB Corps. This may make Posey a June 1st cut which would save us about 1.3 Million. I think either two would be a step up from Posey (who i don't mind as a starter, doesn't make mistakes, but doesn't make nearly enough big plays) and a step towards the future improvement of the team?

Go LB at #9 TD :D

1) Buffalo trades RB Travis Henry straight up for Tampa's RCB Ronde Barber.

2) Buffalo then trades RCB Nate Clements to the Redskins for their 9th pick and maybe, just maybe an additional late rd pick.

3) Buffalo then selects OT Jammal Brown with the 9th pick in the draft.

306767[/snapback]

I think Henry for Barber would be a steal for the Bills and get Bruce Allen(TB GM) fired.

Clements to the Redskins for the 9th overall pick. I really don't see NC going anywhere.

Assuming NC is traded, Jammal Brown at #9? Don't most mocks have him going around 20 overall?

PS We already have one tackle with a RIDICULOUS cap hit. Do we really need another?

I guess anything is possible

With TD anything is within the realm of possibility. That is why I will be at least keeping an eye on the draft even though as it stands right now, we won't pick until 5-6 PM ET or so a week from today.

Here's one----McNally covets Khalif Barnes and somewhat Alex Barron -- if you remember after the combine he was comparing Barnes to what he saw from Anothony Munoz. The great thing about Barnes is that he is projected to go anywhere from the early twenties to the early 30's....This will be a cheap price for a left tackle for 5 years....around $2.5 Million a year average...

1) Trade Henry and #86 (3rd round) to Eagles for #31

2) Trade Clements to Washington for #9 and #112 (4th round)- Snyder would easily do this.

3) Trade #9 to KC so they can draft a top flight corner for #15 and #46--it fills KC's one remaining need...Kiper has Pac Man Jones at 9

So now we have #15, #31, #46, #55, #112, #122.....we have Vincent to play corner, we have Baker to play safety...at #15 we draft Carlos Rogers-CB Auburn to groom to replace Vincent at CB-Rogers fits our D and is battle tested--he immediately steps in at #3 and maybe gives McGee a run for his money at #2. At #31 we draft Khalif Barnes to groom at LT. At #46, we draft the best interior OL available (Spencer, Bass, etc) to compete at C and at #55 if available we draft Nugent...Three solid rookies--all good charachter all not having to start right away-but all add serious depth and perhaps the best kicker in the draft in a long time...

It would be just like TD--start the draft thinking you won't have to pick until 6 PM and then have 4 picks by that time :doh: There is virtually no cap hit to trading Clements and Henry so you have the rookie cap to afford this after the trades....if we are going to play hot stove league you guys need to get a bit more off the wall!!!

Its fun to be crazy isn't it.... :angry:;) This would be TD's coup de grais...

With TD anything is within the realm of possibility.  That is why I will be at least keeping an eye on the draft even though as it stands right now, we won't pick until 5-6 PM ET or so a week from today.

Here's one----McNally covets Khalif Barnes and somewhat Alex Barron -- if you remember after the combine he was comparing Barnes to what he saw from Anothony Munoz.  The great thing about Barnes is that he is projected to go anywhere from the early twenties to the early 30's....This will be a cheap price for a left tackle for 5 years....around $2.5 Million a year average...

1) Trade Henry and #86 (3rd round) to Eagles for #31

2) Trade Clements to Washington for #9 and #112 (4th round)- Snyder would easily do this.

3) Trade #9 to KC so they can draft a top flight corner for #15 and #46--it fills KC's one remaining need...Kiper has Pac Man Jones at 9

So now we have #15, #31, #46, #55, #112, #122.....we have Vincent to play corner, we have Baker to play safety...at #15 we draft Carlos Rogers-CB Auburn to groom to replace Vincent at CB-Rogers fits our D and is battle tested--he immediately steps in at #3 and maybe gives McGee a run for his money at #2.  At #31 we draft Khalif Barnes to groom at LT.  At #46, we draft the best interior OL available (Spencer, Bass, etc) to compete at C and at #55 if available we draft Nugent...Three solid rookies--all good charachter all not having to start right away-but all add serious depth and perhaps the best kicker in the draft in a long time...

It would be just like TD--start the draft thinking you won't have to pick until 6 PM and then have 4 picks by that time  :doh:  There is virtually no cap hit to trading Clements and Henry so you have the rookie cap to afford this after the trades....if we are going to play hot stove league you guys need to get a bit more off the wall!!!

Its fun to be crazy isn't it.... :angry:  ;)  This would be TD's coup de grais...

306884[/snapback]

CMON, YOU CAN FIND US A WAY TO GET ONE MORE 1ST ROUNDER CAN'T YOU?

GOT EM LINED UP JUST LIKE MADDEN

CMON, YOU CAN FIND US A WAY TO GET ONE MORE 1ST ROUNDER CAN'T YOU?

GOT EM LINED UP JUST LIKE MADDEN

306894[/snapback]

Just wanted to wake up everyone who was hungover on a Saturday morning...Can't we have some fun....unfortunately this is not the most ridiculous scenario I have seen posted in the last few months....

Just wanted to wake up everyone who was hungover on a Saturday morning...Can't we have some fun....unfortunately this is not the most ridiculous scenario I have seen posted in the last few months....

306900[/snapback]

you are right about that.

just caught me after hearing about mattjones being the next randy moss

I think Henry for Barber would be a steal for the Bills and get Bruce Allen(TB GM) fired.

Clements to the Redskins for the 9th overall pick.  I really don't see NC going anywhere.

Assuming NC is traded, Jammal Brown at #9?  Don't most mocks have him going around 20 overall?

PS We already have one tackle with a RIDICULOUS cap hit.  Do we really need another?

I guess anything is possible

306873[/snapback]

I could see this happen due to Barbers contract. There are also rumours he wants out of Tampa

I would say that all of this trade talk was crazy, but some of the comments from the Bills have left me wondering. I also don't think that they wasted Ralph's money bringing Jamaal Brown in for a visit for nothing. The Bills are usually somewhat predictable in R1, especially if you can read the tea leaves without any personal biases towards or against certain players, but this year, without a R1 pick, that doesn't seem to be the case.

At this point, I would not be totally shocked if Tipster's idea proves closer to fact than fiction. The scenario itself is somewhat believable. If Ronde Barber has had a falling out with the Bucs, they might just be willing to let him go in exchange for Henry. Interestingly enough, the Bucs-Bills trade possibility for Henry has been rumored to be player-for-player. The Clements trade has been rumored for a week or two and though I'm against it, I would be a lot more forgiving of such a trade if Donahoe could secure a starting CB BEFORE making that trade. #9 for Brown is a bit steep, but if these trades were to occur, Donahoe could trade back to around 20 and draft Brown or Khalif Barnes, while also securing an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Needless to say, this would be an ideal situation for the Buffalo Bills. Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen. The whole thing hinges upon trading Henry for a decent starting CB, and if that doesn't happen, the trade of Clements can't happen, either, and the whole scenario falls apart.

I really don't see Washington trading with anyone. They only have 5 picks total in the draft...one pick in the 1st, one in the 3rd, one in the 4th, one in the 6th, and one in the 7th. If anything, they are going to look to trade down from the 9th selection overall and try and gather up some more pics.

I really don't see Washington trading with anyone.  They only have 5 picks total in the draft...one pick in the 1st, one in the 3rd, one in the 4th, one in the 6th, and one in the 7th.  If anything, they are going to look to trade down from the 9th selection overall and try and gather up some more pics.

306981[/snapback]

Common sense would tend to indicate that you are correct, but we are talking about the Redskins here and common sense is not something they are known for having an abundance of. Look at their past four drafts. In three of them (2001, 2003 and 2004) they had a total of 12 draft picks, including only 7 the last two years.

I really don't see Washington trading with anyone.  They only have 5 picks total in the draft...one pick in the 1st, one in the 3rd, one in the 4th, one in the 6th, and one in the 7th.  If anything, they are going to look to trade down from the 9th selection overall and try and gather up some more pics.

306981[/snapback]

Don't forget Gibbs loves veterans....And Snyder knows Gibbs won't be coaching very long. I don't think he will be here in two or three years. About the time it takes for these draftees to blossom.