Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

This is a report prepared by the coronavirus task force on all 50 states. Each state’s current covid situation is detailed and their recommendations are listed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/28/us/states-report-virus-response-july-26.html

“The federal government prepares regular reports on the response to the coronavirus. The following report, dated July 26, was distributed to states by the coronavirus task force.”

The list is up to 21 states that they recommend put more restrictions in place.

As Trump called on states to reopen, a federal report urged 21 ‘red zone’ states to impose more restrictions.

Although the newer report, dated July 26, called for further restrictions in the states listed, the president called for more states to continue reopening the day after its release, saying during a Monday visit to North Carolina that “a lot of the governors should be opening up states that they’re not opening, and we’ll see what happens with them.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/world/coronavirus-covid-19.html

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/509418-21-states-now-in-federal-red-zone-for-serious-coronavirus-outbreaks-report

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The list is up to 21 states that they recommend put more restrictions in place.

A new federal report found that the number of states with outbreaks serious enough to place them in the “red zone” had grown to 21, and urged officials in them to impose more restrictions.

The 21 states now in the “red zone” — Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin — were designated as such because they had more than 100 new cases per 100,000 people in the past week. Three more states were added to the most serious category since a similar report dated July 14: Missouri, North Dakota and Wisconsin.

The report, which was dated July 26, recommended that more restrictions be put in place in “red zone” states. But on Monday, a day later, President Trump called for more states to reopen.

“A lot of the governors should be opening up states that they’re not opening, and we’ll see what happens with them,” Mr. Trump said during a visit to North Carolina — one of the states in the red zone.

This is why poor countries like Vietnam and Senegal and Rwanda can corral covid, but we can't get past this thing. 

One national strategy driven by facts and science.  One voice from leadership. 

This absolutely makes my stomach tie up in knots.

Can't teach there, can't hold class there, but can hold daycare there to work on their online homework and lessons. Difference is?

Unionized and predominantly higher  educated and of one color leading remote learning.. vs lower educated, minority or immigrant, and expendable i guess leading efforts inside school buildings.

Add this to the UN report yesterday liking 10,000 deaths per month to childhood hunger from Covid related shutdowns...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/virus-linked-hunger-tied-to-10000-child-deaths-each-month-un-finds

Its all so sad we have politized this to this degree...both side are just awful, and so out to prove the other wrong we have lost the forest for the trees. And the people taking not just the lion share, but the elephant share.,, are the most vulnerable ...not just in the US but across the world..but i guess beating your political opponent is more important than lives and common freaking sense

Anyone watch that 20/20 special on covid last night?

edit - here it is. I highly recommend watching this if/when you get a chance. Parts 1-3:

you can also watch the full episode here, but you need to sign in with your cable provider 1st:

https://abc.com/shows/2020/episode-guide/2020-07/28-american-catastrophe-how-did-we-get-here-a-special-edition-of-2020

Edited by BillsFan4

14 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

This absolutely makes my stomach tie up in knots.

Can't teach there, can't hold class there, but can hold daycare there to work on their online homework and lessons. Difference is?

Unionized and predominantly higher  educated and of one color leading remote learning.. vs lower educated, minority or immigrant, and expendable i guess leading efforts inside school buildings.

Add this to the UN report yesterday liking 10,000 deaths per month to childhood hunger from Covid related shutdowns...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/virus-linked-hunger-tied-to-10000-child-deaths-each-month-un-finds

Its all so sad we have politized this to this degree...both side are just awful, and so out to prove the other wrong we have lost the forest for the trees. And the people taking not just the lion share, but the elephant share.,, are the most vulnerable ...not just in the US but across the world..but i guess beating your political opponent is more important than lives and common freaking sense

It's a good question "difference is?"

YMCAs have been quietly providing childcare for the children of essential workers since the start of the epidemic.  They have been practical, innovative, and have done very well with infections.

They have done many of the things that experts feel need to be done to re-open schools safely and that are actually part of the CDC's original guidelines:

de-densify using all spaces that are available -

have small "pods" of kids with a single teacher that play freely within the pod but do not interact with other "pods"

wear masks in the common spaces. 

They teach spatial distancing in ways that make sense to kids: "Airplane arms!", teaching them to scrub their hands by putting a stamp or mark on them that they had to scrub off before moving on to the next activity, that kind of thing.

They serve the population (kids 1-12) that data show have a lower infection rate and a much lower rate of transmitting infections

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence, but the problem IMHO is coming up with an outcome ("schools should stay closed!" "schools must reopen!") then looking for data to support it, instead of giving charge of pandemic decisions to a science-driven and epidemiologically-driven group who look at the data and say "OK, this is what data support can be done safely, now how can we make this happen?"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

@Hapless Bills Fan, obviously they are gunna make this work in the very same school buildings where school would take place...why not just have school?

Schools will always devote most of their time and attention to education. Understandable so IMO. The YMCA on the other hand is focusing primarily on safety. I get your point.

Myself personally, my biggest concern is the position/ risk we put our teachers in. Many of whom are up in age and feel a moral obligation to educate and protect our younger generation.  

17 minutes ago, Figster said:

Schools will always devote most of their time and attention to education. Understandable so IMO. The YMCA on the other hand is focusing primarily on safety. I get your point.

Myself personally, my biggest concern is the position/ risk we put our teachers in. Many of whom are up in age and feel a moral obligation to educate and protect our younger generation.  

not quite sure i follow you...but as i read that release this is what i get from it..and i may be reading it wrong

1) Everyone in the school district can opt in to this program

2) the "care " will be in the actual school buildings where the kids would have gone anyway

3) The kids will be taking their lessons and the Y workers will be assisting them with such

4) Parents will pay $180 per child per week for this option.

So what i get is the only difference being   if they were holding regular classes in those very same buildings

1) teachers would be present in the room instead of virtual, not child care aides and Y employees.

2) there would be no charge..

And this is safer to the children and aides in some way or fashion, i am just not smart enough to figure it out.

What am i missing?

Edited by plenzmd1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

not quite sure i follow you...but as i read that release this is what i get from it..and i may be reading it wrong

1) Everyone in the school district can opt in to this program

2) the "care " will be in the actual school buildings where the kids would have gone anyway

3) The kids will be taking their lessons and the Y workers will be assisting them with such

4) Parents will pay $180 per child per week for this option.

So also what i get is the only diffrence will be from if they were holding regular classes in those very same buildings

1) teachers would be present in the room instead of virtual, not child care aides and Y employees.

2) there would be no charge..

What am i missing?

Keeping the teachers safe IMO.

Again, Y employess will be focusing on safety.

Edited by Figster

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

Keeping the teachers safe IMO.

Again, Y employess will be focusing on safety.

Are you saying keeping the teachers safe is more important than keeping the aides and Y workers safe. 

Edited by plenzmd1

42 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Are you saying keeping the teachers safe is more important than keeping the aides and Y workers safe. 

I'm saying the aides and Y workers are more interested in practicing social distancing properly, good hygiene, and everything else they can do to keep the enviroment and its occupants safe. (including themselves) Educators, educate.

What I mean by that Augie is an aid or Y worker will be focusing on safety.

A teacher will be focusing on education.

(By no means am I implying any one life is worth more than the other.)

On a side note I just learned our biggest senior living facility in our small town of Corry has a Covid 19 outbreak occuring.

Edited by Figster