Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Sadly with over 180 K dead....

this isn't funny any longer

On the one hand I see your point. 

On the other, having spent my late teens as an EMT and working in the ER of a major urban trauma center...we learned to keep laughing.

And on that note, here we go:

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFM/videos/3624535150924086

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the one hand I see your point. 

On the other, having spent my late teens as an EMT and working in the ER of a major urban trauma center...we learned to keep laughing.

And on that note, here we go:

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFM/videos/3624535150924086

I hear ya. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What astounds me is how many Americans are apparently willing to overlook the deaths of other Americans if they can define them as "other" somehow - he's fat, she has diabetes, they're old, etc - as though these people would not in the ordinary course of things live for years

Unfortunately being stupid is not as fatal as it used to be.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Unfortunately being stupid is not as fatal as it used to be.

Stupidity and ignorance are problems to be sure. But the cold, calculated callousness that people exhibit is the bigger problem, imo. Another sign of these times, I guess. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Stupidity and ignorance are problems to be sure. But the cold, calculated callousness that people exhibit is the bigger problem, imo. Another sign of these times, I guess. 

I don't think most people intend to be cold calculated and callous.  I think they listen to news sources that provide incorrect gouge: like the information that 90% of covid-19 deaths are in nursing homes (not true), or that people in nursing homes are "circling the drain about to die" (some are, most are not), or that "preexisting condition" means "circling the drain about to die" vs. when it comes to most of those given as risk factors for covid-19 - these risk factors of hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, obesity apply to a HUGE chunk of the US population.  

Example: an estimated 10% of the US population has diabetes. About 80% of them have type 2 diabetes, and most have a second condition - they're obese.  So if it's OK to throw them down the drain and say "OK, who cares about fat diabetics?" that's throwing approximately 26.3 million Americans down the drain - most of them someone's beloved mother, father, uncle, aunt, cousin, child.

The people who crank out and amplify the cold calculated callous stuff are still responsible for it, of course.  They could confirm the information they get from several sources instead of living in their own little echo chamber patting themselves on the back. 

But maybe you're right and I'm wrong and giving these folks too much credit.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think most people intend to be cold calculated and callous.  I think they listen to news sources that provide incorrect gouge: like the information that 90% of covid-19 deaths are in nursing homes (not true), or that people in nursing homes are "circling the drain about to die" (some are, most are not), or that "preexisting condition" means "circling the drain about to die" vs. when it comes to most of those given as risk factors for covid-19 - these risk factors of hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, obesity apply to a HUGE chunk of the US population.  

Example: an estimated 10% of the US population has diabetes. About 80% of them have type 2 diabetes, and most have a second condition - they're obese.  So if it's OK to throw them down the drain and say "OK, who cares about fat diabetics?" that's throwing approximately 26.3 million Americans down the drain - most of them someone's beloved mother, father, uncle, aunt, cousin, child.

The people who crank out and amplify the cold calculated callous stuff are still responsible for it, of course.  They could confirm the information they get from several sources instead of living in their own little echo chamber patting themselves on the back. 

But maybe you're right and I'm wrong and giving these folks too much credit.

I’m sure you’re right. But whether or not people intend to be callous about this simply doesn’t matter. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to mention the other 20% with type 1 diabetes who certainly have second conditions, often times rare ones that unfortunately will probably never be studied with Covid, such as lipodystrophies or chylomicronemias, that can adversely affect the heart, liver, and pancreas. 

Edited by 716er

BREAKING: Study suggests immune system's coronavirus-fighting antibodies do not fade quickly, a hopeful sign for vaccine efforts. A report from tests on more than 30,000 people in Iceland show the antibodies last at least four months after diagnosis.

This seems to correspond to information about virus lasting longer in Iceland Fish shipments.

Antibodies and viruses both last longer in Iceland chill.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/09/01/908413181/fema-says-it-will-stop-paying-for-cloth-face-masks-for-schools

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said it is changing the policy on the personal protective equipment that it will pay for. Federal officials announced the changes during a call Tuesday with state and tribal emergency managers, many of whom expressed concerns about the new policy.

The changes mean that in most cases, FEMA will no longer reimburse states for the cost of cloth face coverings at nonemergency settings, including schools, public housing and courthouses. The policy goes into effect on Sept. 15.

“Supporting schools and other functions — courthouses and other related functions – are not a direct emergency protective measures and therefore they're not eligible for [Public Assistance]," Turi said on the conference call.

One state government official from the Midwest sought clarity on how the new regulations would relate to providing protective gear to teachers.

"Once an outbreak has occurred, then if we provide PPE that would be eligible, but not prior to?" the official asked. "Is that correct?"

Turi replied that cloth face coverings or PPE for teachers "are not eligible because they are related to the operating of facilities."

In other words actions of the Federal Government such as forcing schools to open or have funding cuts are not "emergencies".

It is ironic since my wife's employer (Fairfax County Public Schools) told employees they will supply one mask only and if it was lost (or became dirty) it was up to employees to replace. Interesting since Federal Government is providing initial mask.  Also ironic since they supply other required equipment such as gloves.

I went and got a rapid COVID test yesterday just as a precaution and to see what it’s like. State sent a ton of them to Erie County, so I figured why not? Results in 10 minutes.

The test itself included 30 seconds of moderate discomfort. The most uncomfortable aspect was standing around waiting while other people were getting tested in the same general vicinity.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

‘PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis‘

New data helps illustrate what Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren might have meant when he described “too much medical uncertainty and too many unknown health risks” as reasons for postponing the Big Ten’s 2020-21 fall sports season. 

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked. 

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. 

Spooky. 

Right now on the front page of newsday.com the two headlines are almost side by side:

SUNY Oneonta cancels in-person classes this fall

Superintendents say their schools are safe to reopen 

I'll remain hopeful that local schools will have more success managing K-12  than colleges have, but I'll be surprised if K-12 aren't all back home by October.

I found this one quite interesting.  An increase of 193,676 deaths from week 13 to week 31.  Doesn't have the cause of death, but the increase can't be denied.  Curious to know how other deaths are in relation to last year, car crash, heart attacks, suicide etc.. Would assume fewer people are driving/commuting and that car crash deaths are way down.

k3cnngk8pzk51.jpg

Copy to info thread if warranted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-smartphone-detection-155404456.html

Appears from:

https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-news/local-smartwatch-innovation-could-soon-help-seniors-monitor-for-covid-19-symptoms-2686168

An Ottawa entrepreneur is winning awards for the design of a new medical smartwatch that she says could serve as an early stage COVID-19 prediction and monitoring solution in long-term care homes by the end of the summer.

What Dastmalchi says sets it apart from other remote monitoring solutions is its ability to perform all tasks from a cost-effective, low-power smartwatch, without the need to switch to a blood pressure cuff or use a tablet.

Never looked into low-power smartwatches but know there are plenty of cheap tablets on secondary market.  This may be a solution which may not be cost effective for long-term care homes.