The Beatles last album

Beatles Last Album  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you consider to be The Beatles last album?

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Horrible take as the medley on the B side has never been matched.

I think the melody of the medley is strong. the jam itself is very, very weak. to each their own tho 

Also, ANY Grateful Dead medley is better than that one. Way better. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/5/2020 at 7:25 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

The White Album is an overrated mishmash. Way more filler than killer.

As for the question, I suppose Let It Be was last technically, but give I’d give Abby Road a spin over that any day.

Sidenote, inherited our  aunt’s vinyl a while back and discovered a copy of the “butcher cover” amongst her Beatles collection. Thanks Aunt Charlotte!

Have you had that appraised? It's gotta be worth hundreds if not thousands.

There's too many great songs to fit on two sides for the White Album. There was definitely some filler on there to get it to be four sides. "Piggies" Do it in the Road, come to mind. But mostly fantastic songs that I'd rather have with the filler than have them try to reduce it to two sides.

49 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Have you had that appraised? It's gotta be worth hundreds if not thousands.

I had a collector/dealer friend of mine check it out a while back, he said likely $200-$300 minimum,  in its condition. There’s some staining and the bottom left corner is a bit shredded.

Man, if all the Beatles vinyl she passed down to us was VG to Mint, I’d def be sitting on a fortune. Like I had mentioned earlier in the thread, she was a kid and the earlier albums are pretty jacked up. But they still hold sentimental value to my wife and I.

On 3/2/2020 at 12:10 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

For those unaware, Let It Be was recorded in January 1969, but wasn't released until May 8, 1970. Abbey Road was recorded from February-August of 1969, and released in September of 1969. So Abbey Road was recorded last, but Let it Be was the last released. I have a Beatles chronological playlist and I always debate which order to put the albums. I lean towards Abbey Road. It just seems so fitting to end with The End, and it was a supirior album. It has the feel of them knowing it was all but officially over, so they made one final album. 

Not to nit-pick or anything, but isn't Her Majesty the last song?

On 3/6/2020 at 8:20 AM, Gugny said:

I love I Want You.  Some nice scat and a nice, smooth bass line.  The transition from the heavy ending of I Want You directly into Here Comes the Sun, to me, was genius.

Back in the day, there was no transition, unless you had 2 copies of the album and a turntable that would automatically drop the 2nd LP on top of the 1st. We would usually either play side A or side B.

Maybe there was a transition on the 8-track.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think the melody of the medley is strong. the jam itself is very, very weak. to each their own tho 

Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance?

On 3/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

the medley is a patchwork of nothing songs they couldn’t complete over the prior two years

They spent so much studio time on it and hated the sight of each other the whole time

As a fan it was nice they got back together for old times sake and putout a good album for 1969, but it’s way below the standard of their peak years in RS/Revolver/Sgt Pepper/White Album.

Beatles couldn’t jam, they grew up on Chuck Berry riffs and country/western songs, which is solid in its own right and gave us a lot of great work, but they were hopelessly out of touch by 1969 in the rock world

Her Majesty was to go between MeanMM and Polythene Pam, the editing cut off the clash chord end of MMM, it makes no sense on the album to start HM with the MMM chord...

it was the 60s...

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Back in the day, there was no transition, unless you had 2 copies of the album and a turntable that would automatically drop the 2nd LP on top of the 1st. We would usually either play side A or side B.

Maybe there was a transition on the 8-track.

I had no idea that side one ended with Heavy and side two began with Sun.  Talk about a buzzkill.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I had no idea that side one ended with Heavy and side two began with Sun.  Talk about a buzzkill.

the horror.......

interesting how formats change perception

missing 8-track was a blessing

(Side 3 of the White Album is Birthday through Long Long Long)

back then you would stack singles and LPs for continuous play, sometimes they made a double album sides 1 and 3 on the album for easier going with 1 2 3 4

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

the horror.......

interesting how formats change perception

missing 8-track was a blessing

(Side 3 of the White Album is Birthday through Long Long Long)

back then you would stack singles and LPs for continuous play, sometimes they made a double album sides 1 and 3 on the album for easier going with 1 2 3 4

I'm not that young!!  Grew up in the vinyl era.  Just didn't really get heavily into the Beatles until later.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not that young!!  Grew up in the vinyl era.  Just didn't really get heavily into the Beatles until later.

okay, born in 66 and listened nonstop to the White Album and Earlier records from age 4-6

Big part was the 1970s and the bickering between them on TV and radio and interviews

they were very bloodyminded apart as they we’re together 

Just now, row_33 said:

okay, born in 66 and listened nonstop to the White Album and Earlier records from age 4-6

Born in 71.  My bro is 6 years older.  We shared a room.  He was a casual Beatles fan.  Had the blue and red albums and that's it.  I always listened to the blue album.  When I was about 10, I bought Wings Greatest Hits.  Remember it like it was yesterday.  Was out with my mom.  Bought the album on vinyl.  Then we went to visit my grandmother, where I played the album on her console stereo.  That's when I got hooked on Paul.

Similar story ... out with Mom .. bought Billy Joel's Songs in the Attic on vinyl and brought that to my grandmothers to play.  Totally off topic, but that album is phenomenal.

Back on topic ... I didn't start diving deep into the Beatles until I was well into my 20s .. maybe even early 30s.  Prior to that, I was a very casual fan who loved what I'd heard, but was never inclined to buy albums and really listen.  

Better late than never, I suppose!

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Born in 71.  My bro is 6 years older.  We shared a room.  He was a casual Beatles fan.  Had the blue and red albums and that's it.  I always listened to the blue album.  When I was about 10, I bought Wings Greatest Hits.  Remember it like it was yesterday.  Was out with my mom.  Bought the album on vinyl.  Then we went to visit my grandmother, where I played the album on her console stereo.  That's when I got hooked on Paul.

Similar story ... out with Mom .. bought Billy Joel's Songs in the Attic on vinyl and brought that to my grandmothers to play.  Totally off topic, but that album is phenomenal.

Back on topic ... I didn't start diving deep into the Beatles until I was well into my 20s .. maybe even early 30s.  Prior to that, I was a very casual fan who loved what I'd heard, but was never inclined to buy albums and really listen.  

thanks!

had every album by 8, and the red/blue

John was killed when I was 14, got up at 5 in the morn and heard in the radio, then trudged out to catch the bus for a frosh hoops practice at 7, that day sucked huge

Edited by row_33

11 hours ago, Rico said:

Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance?

I think my favorite might be china cat sunflower to I know you rider, but it’s all superb 

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

the medley is a patchwork of nothing songs they couldn’t complete over the prior two years

They spent so much studio time on it and hated the sight of each other the whole time

As a fan it was nice they got back together for old times sake and putout a good album for 1969, but it’s way below the standard of their peak years in RS/Revolver/Sgt Pepper/White Album.

Beatles couldn’t jam, they grew up on Chuck Berry riffs and country/western songs, which is solid in its own right and gave us a lot of great work, but they were hopelessly out of touch by 1969 in the rock world

couldn’t agree more. 

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was 11, and my grandma had two TVs, and no computer at the time. My brother was watching some little kid show, so I only had the choice to watch TV with my dad and grandma. This documentary was on TV. Was fascinated by it. About a month later my mom bought "The Beatles 1" CD (All of their #1 hits). I was hooked. Funny thing was, we didn't have a true CD player in the house. Just a PS1. And we only had a mono TV, and RCA cables. So half the songs, I only heard the left channel. Wasn't until I bought the cassette tape a few months later that I realized Yellow Submarine had lyrics outside of the chorus, and Eleanor Rigby wasn't just an instrumental piece. Around 8th grade, my mom bought me the Beatles Anthology 8 DVD set.

As much as I give you crap about Stones over Beatles, I love both bands almost equally, albeit for completely different reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was 11, and my grandma had two TVs, and no computer at the time. My brother was watching some little kid show, so I only had the choice to watch TV with my dad and grandma. This documentary was on TV. Was fascinated by it. About a month later my mom bought "The Beatles 1" CD (All of their #1 hits). I was hooked. Funny thing was, we didn't have a true CD player in the house. Just a PS1. And we only had a mono TV, and RCA cables. So half the songs, I only heard the left channel. Wasn't until I bought the cassette tape a few months later that I realized Yellow Submarine had lyrics outside of the chorus, and Eleanor Rigby wasn't just an instrumental piece. Around 8th grade, my mom bought me the Beatles Anthology 8 DVD set.

As much as I give you crap about Stones over Beatles, I love both bands almost equally, albeit for completely different reasons. 

they are both most worthy, the Beatles knew when to pack it in

or before they strangled each other