The Beatles last album

Beatles Last Album  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you consider to be The Beatles last album?

Led Zeppelin II came out a month after AR and completely destroyed the Beatles as any form of where rock was and was heading

that set of one string solos on The End is quaint and sad

grateful we got their garage chops on early works, a teeny bopper phase that is okay, a set of albums taking pop to a masterpiece  level with RS/Rev/Sgt/White Album

And then burnt out indulgence and horrible infighting mostly to their deaths

it was good that monster singles weren’t put on the epic 4 albums as it allowed us to get their experimental cuts such as Revolution 9, warts and all

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

grateful we got their garage chops on early works, a teeny bopper phase that is okay, a set of albums taking pop to a masterpiece  level with RS/Rev/Sgt/White Album

And then burnt out indulgence and horrible infighting mostly to their deaths

it was good that monster singles weren’t put on the epic 4 albums as it allowed us to get their experimental cuts such as Revolution 9, warts and all

Revolution 9 is pure crap, IMO.  But I do definitely agree that RS/Rev/Sgt/White Album are better overall quality than Abbey Road/Let it Be. 

I enjoy listening to all of those albums; all of their albums, period.  Even though Abbey Road and Let it Be are full of indulgence, I still love them both.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Other than a few songs, the White Album is just essentially a collection of solo work. Even the stuff they recorded together it was just that, recording it. There wasn't much collaboration in the writing/creation process. Not to say it wasn't a fantastic album. Let it Be just always makes me think of the infighting that happened. Even I've Got a Feeling was just two songs John and Paul wrote together. Again, still a tremendous album. 

But I think why I love Abbey Road, is because it just has that feel that they knew the end was near, so let's put our differences aside and just make one more album together. I know they had their differences about Oh Darling, and they certainly all hated MSH except Paul. 

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Other than a few songs, the White Album is just essentially a collection of solo work. Even the stuff they recorded together it was just that, recording it. There wasn't much collaboration in the writing/creation process. Not to say it wasn't a fantastic album. Let it Be just always makes me think of the infighting that happened. Even I've Got a Feeling was just two songs John and Paul wrote together. Again, still a tremendous album. 

But I think why I love Abbey Road, is because it just has that feel that they knew the end was near, so let's put our differences aside and just make one more album together. I know they had their differences about Oh Darling, and they certainly all hated MSH except Paul. 

This really started as early as Rubber Soul, in my opinion.  Easy to tell John songs from Paul songs.  But I do think they complemented each other through the White Album.

Abbey Road was the first album I ever bought. I was only 8 when it came out and saved money helping one of my older brother's with his Courier-Express paper route. My oldest brother was 18 and took me to get it. I think it was $4. I only had a couple bucks so he paid the rest. I still have that copy which is pretty beat up but have acquired a nice near mint copy for playing. A great album that stands the test of time imo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, Gugny said:

Even after Abbey Road was released, there was still work being done on Let it Be.

Let it Be is their last album.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:06 PM, row_33 said:

I Me Mine was the last recorded song for a Beatles album

perfectly apt

August 20, 1969 was the last time the Beatles all recorded together. They were working on the over-dubs for 'I Want You'. 

Abbey Road was the last album The Beatles recorded together. 

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

August 20, 1969 was the last time the Beatles all recorded together. They were working on the over-dubs for 'I Want You'. 

Abbey Road was the last album The Beatles recorded together. 

Recorded together, yes.  But Ringo/George went in to put finishing touches on I, Me, Mine - which was on Let it Be - after AR was released.

They didn't record together very much.  Hell, McCartney laid drum tracks down on the White Album.  This is normal for most bands (recording separately).

• Like (+1) 1

They worked best when they worked together, which is why Abbey Road is much better and feels like the end of their canon, even though technically Let It Be was last. In another sense, neither of them are last because many more Beatles albums have come out since, with new songs, even though they were recorded earlier, or Let It Be Naked, etc. 

Anyway I'm convinced they would've eventually reunited had it not been for guns. Before Lennon was shot to death, he was getting it together again, he was back to hanging out with McCartney... "Just Like Starting Over" is a love song to Yoko and to himself, but it's also a message to McCartney in the way they would occasionally pass notes in their lyrics (Too Many People, How Do You Sleep, etc) where he does a bunch of Macca references - "don't let another day go by, my love, spread your wings and fly" ... I think he's doing his clever disguised thing but putting the dream out there that he wants to play with Paul and a band again.

It would take the two of them on the same page and sweet talking George back, but it would've happened in the 80s or 90s had Lennon lived a full natural life. I bet it woulda been pretty good! 

Edited by GregPersons
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rico said:

I love 99%+ all things Beatles... but when Macca was dominating their efforts over the true leader John, it wasn’t the Beatles at their best. JMO.

Paul was Johns perfect sidekick. John more or less let Paul do his own thing. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, Gugny said:

This really started as early as Rubber Soul, in my opinion.  Easy to tell John songs from Paul songs.  But I do think they complemented each other through the White Album.

They started coming into their own as song writers around Rubber Soul for sure. I guess technically, Help! is where it started. Help was exclusively written by John, and Yesterday didn't even include any other Beatles on the recording. It was all but officially Paul's first solo effort.  But they both still worked and collaborated together on most songs, even if just bouncing ideas off of each other.

Tensions were so high by the White Album though that they all worked almost exclusively alone. Other than Birthday, I can't think of anything on there that's stood out as a true Lennon/McCartney song. 

30 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They started coming into their own as song writers around Rubber Soul for sure. I guess technically, Help! is where it started. Help was exclusively written by John, and Yesterday didn't even include any other Beatles on the recording. It was all but officially Paul's first solo effort.  But they both still worked and collaborated together on most songs, even if just bouncing ideas off of each other.

Tensions were so high by the White Album though that they all worked almost exclusively alone. Other than Birthday, I can't think of anything on there that's stood out as a true Lennon/McCartney song. 

I think the individualization of the White Album is a big part of what makes it such a fantastic album.

It's also all the more reason to respect them as a group … to be able to churn out so many masterpieces while they each had their own styles and preferences.

It's a big reason they're the best band ever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think the individualization of the White Album is a big part of what makes it such a fantastic album.

It's also all the more reason to respect them as a group … to be able to churn out so many masterpieces while they each had their own styles and preferences.

Yep, Beatles were the greatest pop band ever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

some far wiser than me have declared the only time they were "cool" was Side 3 of the White Album

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agreed. I enjoy it along with Abbey Road for complete opposite reasons. I mean they went from the orchestral, psychedelic pop/rock of Sgt Pepper and MMT, to the stripped down no BS, hard rock, bluesy, and accoustic type songs on the Whtie Album.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:57 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

hardly a solo work album for the White Album, great little jams were given for

Glass Onion

Happiness IAWG

I'm So Tired (the sweetest of them)

Almost all of side 3

(Ringo absent the first two tracks takes away from those particular songs, Paul's drumming is shiiiiite compared to Ringo's sound)

White Album attacks are so frickin lazy and pointless....

Paul’s comment to those who say it would have been better as a single album or other whining: “***** off, it’s the Beatles’ White Album.”

or take it this way, how many songs on prior albums were 50/50 collaborations? what songs are you perplexed as to who wrote the bulk of them??

read John's interview with Rolling Stone if you can't tell who wrote almost every song, I think he's a bit mistaken a few times, especially on some of his bitter outbursts  :D

Edited by row_33