where is the NFL going with women coaches?

stuvian

On 2/11/2020 at 5:58 AM, stuvian said:

while I'm generally supportive of diversity initiatives this one strikes me as the most loopy. Do we really expect a woman who has never played the game with men to be able to come in and lead a team to a SB? I'm all in favour of women holding strength training, nutrition, medical, financial, administrative and managerial positions. I recall that Ralph Wilson's late daughter was a respected football scout. Georgia Frontiere was a SB as an owner and there are several franchises now led by women as we saw in the SB. I just don't see that translating over to coaching.

You raise an interesting point.

A couple of thoughts and questions:

I think there are other coaching assistant positions than you mention where there's no reason anyone who loves football and is detail-oriented can't do a great job.  For example, QC coaches and positional assistants spend, as I understand it, massive amounts of time cutting up film and pulling out tendencies of the teams they're about to face or the players they're coaching.  And there's no question some women learn the details of a position - Bianca Wilfork was famous for running a play-by-play text stream of her husband's play during games.   No way she kept that up if he didn't think it helped his career.   Tom Brady's reaction?  "Bianca knows what she's talking about"

How many of the higher level NFL coaches today (OC, DC, HC) have never played the game, at least in HS and College? 

In other areas of endeavor, it is not unusual to place folks with no relevant background in charge of highly specialized, technically skilled fields (eg someone who's never written a line of code as an officer in a software company, or someone who's never picked up a pipette in charge of a pharmaceutical company, someone who doesn't know aeronautics in charge of an airplane company).  Sometimes it works OK, and sometimes it's a disaster. 

To me, it's not so much an issue of gender, as it is in all the above examples: how deep an understanding can someone who's never done it build?  how well can they hone in on what's really essential and important to playing the game at a high level?  It can be an advantage - they might theoretically be more flexible in their thinking than someone who has played and gets "locked in" to what they see as the right way to develop.   But the lack of actually doing it is, IME, a huge barrier to understanding the essentials of what it really takes.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, Jauronimo said:

Look, I'm all for diversity and inclusion.  I think women are fully capable of leading nations, heading multi-national corporations, managing billion dollar funds and doing so as well as their male counterparts.  But the notion that a woman could effectively communicate with a modern adult man and effectively coach a game played by children is preposterous.  I mean, what's next, serving in the military?  Also, driving.  Very bad drivers.

Well, you do know why some women can't parallel park, don't you?

On 2/11/2020 at 8:59 AM, teef said:

that would be disrespectful.  women can actually teach.  if i ever need advice on use of a tampon, i'll call a woman.

I feel that I can predict exactly where she'd tell you to stick it.

Trivia: most backpackers and many first responders carry a couple tampons in their personal aid kits.  They're small, relatively cheap, and designed to expand and soak up lotsa blood - perfect for trauma bandaging when combined with a strip of duct tape.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, stuvian said:

A woman President I'm ready for. A woman NFL coach not so much 

Unless you're actually a player, that's not the question though, is it?