The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

The rising numbers in the south and west are a real concern. The massive protests this weekend are idiocy. 

It doesn’t matter anymore.  It’s done.

The lock downs with the stringent rules were a sham once the health experts, mayors and governors played politics.  

The rising cases are no justification for any tightening.   It is what it is and they just have to do the best they can while things open up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

No states reported triple digit deaths yesterday from Covid 19. Well over 30 states were in single digits and 10 of those reported zero deaths. It was a Saturday of course but the figure that jumped out at me was NY State reporting only 28 deaths. If we’re still in the middle of an international pandemic shouldn’t the national epicenter be reporting more accurate daily figures, or is 28 the real number? If the latter is true....this story is over!

11 hours ago, shoshin said:

Rising hospitalizations is a troubling statistic, and it’s one that your health system is watching. This is the statistic that can’t get out of control or we have a genuine problem. 

still on your crusade i see.

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I PROMISE to keep my eyes peeled. I double PROMISE 

We are all “us.”  I’m concerned to see the rising numbers in places opening because that may not bode well for those places reopening now. Just numbers to watch. 

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

still on your crusade i see.

What crusade is that? I’ve been pushing to reopen/not close for a loooong time. But we also need to watch the data, especially hospitalizations. 

8 hours ago, Magox said:

It doesn’t matter anymore.  It’s done.

The lock downs with the stringent rules were a sham once the health experts, mayors and governors played politics.  

The rising cases are no justification for any tightening.   It is what it is and they just have to do the best they can while things open up.

I agree 100% but Hospitalization overload as you agree, will override this. That’s why the rising hospitalizations is something to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, shoshin said:

We are all “us.”  I’m concerned to see the rising numbers in places opening because that may not bode well for those places reopening now. Just numbers to watch. 

Shoeshin, there are of course going to be rising numbers as States open up. That’s pretty much a given without an actual cure. But the rising number of cases is also due to the rising testing capacity. Think about it, nobody ‘officially’ had the Corona virus until we had a test for it. But....we now know way more than we did in February and people (other than protestors and the riot squad) are acting very responsibly. People need to be allowed to act like adults!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shoeshin, there are of course going to be rising numbers as States open up. That’s pretty much a given without an actual cure. But the rising number of cases is also due to the rising testing capacity. Think about it, nobody ‘officially’ had the Corona virus until we had a test for it. But....we now know way more than we did in February and people (other than protestors and the riot squad) are acting very responsibly. People need to be allowed to act like adults!

All of this is true but rising hospitalizations has nothing to do with increased testing and case counts. Rising hospitalizations means we are starting to use more of a finite resource and if that rise continues, we will use it up. We need that stat to level. It’s very important. 

Holding 50,000 person mosh pits in the streets may be inadvisable. 

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

All of this is true but rising hospitalizations has nothing to do with increased testing and case counts. Rising hospitalizations means we are starting to use more of a finite resource and if that rise continues, we will use it up. We need that stat to level. It’s very important. 

If the protesters don't care, then that is good enough for me. If I don't support the protesters then that would mean I support the fascists and the racists. To show that I am not a racist, the right thing for me to do is whatever the hell I was doing before the racist virus came to town, triggering a shutdown supported by fascists. I think that you and GregPersons  would have a great conversation. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, shoshin said:

What crusade is that? I’ve been pushing to reopen/not close for a loooong time. But we also need to watch the data, especially hospitalizations. 

I agree 100% but Hospitalization overload as you agree, will override this. That’s why the rising hospitalizations is something to watch. 

If Hospitalization overload occurs that would pose an issue but the idea that the government is going to revert back to more stringent measures is a non starter.  The lawsuits would come out hard and heavy and the dictates would be struck down.   

There is no legal basis to value one cause over another.   

What these health experts, mayors and Governors did was one of the most destructive things they could have possibly done, which was inject politics thereby undermining everything they had been saying over the past few months. The images of the mass protests and their statements has been noted.   Nevermind the amount of possible new infections due directly to the protests that may occur but think of the residual effects of people seeing those images and the hypocritical statements of the elected leaders will cause.  You don’t think people will think that this was all a sham and also defy the orders?  

I can’t tell you how many people that I know through social media that spoke out about it.

The lock downs are over and there is no going back.   Just now gotta hope that it doesn’t turn out so bad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

If the protesters don't care, then that is good enough for me.

That makes no sense except to win an argument on a message board. 

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

If I don't support the protesters then that would mean I support the fascists and the racists. To show that I am not a racist, the right thing for me to do is whatever the hell I was doing before the racist virus came to town, triggering a shutdown supported by fascists. I think that you and GregPersons  would have a great conversation. 

I hope typing that makes you feel better. 

12 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Holding 50,000 person mosh pits in the streets may be inadvisable. 

Once again true, but we know more than we did before so I’m going to assume we’ll monitor things more closely this time around. That’s what adults do! (By the way, I noticed how you tossed in “may be” when referring to those mosh pits. If you’re REALLY as concerned as you claim to be you may want to rethink that fence sitting....just saying.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

If Hospitalization overload occurs that would pose an issue but the idea that the government is going to revert back to more stringent measures is a non starter.  The lawsuits would come out hard and heavy and the dictates would be struck down.   

There is no legal basis to value one cause over another.   

What these health experts, mayors and Governors did was one of the most destructive things they could have possibly done, which was inject politics thereby undermining everything they had been saying over the past few months. The images of the mass protests and their statements has been noted.   Nevermind the amount of possible new infections due directly to the protests that may occur but think of the residual effects of people seeing those images and the hypocritical statements of the elected leaders will cause.  You don’t think people will think that this was all a sham and also defy the orders?  

I can’t tell you how many people that I know through social media that spoke out about it.

The lock downs are over and there is no going back.   Just now gotta hope that it doesn’t turn out so bad.

The protests in an age of Covid are stupid. Politics was injected. 

If hospitals get overloaded, shutdowns will be back and probably should be as the only means we may have to control spread. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again true, but we know more than we did before so I’m going to assume we’ll monitor things more closely this time around. That’s what adults do! (By the way, I noticed how you tossed in “may be” when referring to those mosh pits. If you’re REALLY as concerned as you claim to be you may want to rethink that fence sitting....just saying.)

“May be” was a joke. Assume I said in emphasis. It’s idiotic to go from shutdown to 50,000 person *****. Or gee is blocked. Funny. 

Edited by shoshin

Just now, shoshin said:

If hospitals get overloaded, shutdowns will be back and probably should be as the only means we may have to control spread. 

Thank you! So you agree it’s reckless to allow thousands to gather shoulder to shoulder in the public square while cracking down on golf courses and boating?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That makes no sense except to win an argument on a message board. 

I hope typing that makes you feel better. 

There is no such thing as winning anything on a message board. It is a virtual conversation after all centered on anonymity. As for what makes me feel better. I have been called a fascist, a right wing conspiracy theorist, anti-China, anti-science, anti-capitalist, a communist, and now I am a racist with no redeeming qualities because I am allegedly white. I think your duties as sheep herder is getting a little stale. JMO of course. Your racism is now duly noted also.

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

“May be” was a joke. Assume I said in emphasis. It’s idiotic to go from shutdown to 50,000 person *****. Or gee is blocked. Funny. 

...and how would you suggest enforcing a second shutdown? How heavy handed would you be willing to be? Mass arrests? Which police departments will be intact to make the arrests? What if they call you racist? What if they call you fascist? What if the day comes soon that everybody just stops following orders?

13 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

There is no such thing as winning anything on a message board. It is a virtual conversation after all centered on anonymity. As for what makes me feel better. I have been called a fascist, a right wing conspiracy theorist, anti-China, anti-science, anti-capitalist, a communist, and now I am a racist with no redeeming qualities because I am allegedly white. I think your duties as sheep herder is getting a little stale. JMO of course. Your racism is now duly noted also.

...congratulations!.....gonna nominate you for the Nobel prize.....:thumbsup:...BTW, I AM white...checked in the mirror this morning so I'm guilty of something....

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thank you! So you agree it’s reckless to allow thousands to gather shoulder to shoulder in the public square while cracking down on golf courses and boating?

Of course!

But that doesn’t mean Covid is over and it doesn’t mean we now get to ignore it. 

30 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

?

22 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

...and how would you suggest enforcing a second shutdown? How heavy handed would you be willing to be? Mass arrests? Which police departments will be intact to make the arrests? What if they call you racist? What if they call you fascist? What if the day comes soon that everybody just stops following orders?

Hopefully the same way most laws/regs  work. The law abiding people follow them. 

It will take 6-8 weeks to see the exponential effect of the protests, if any. But it will start with a small rise in the next few weeks. 

I’m hopeful in a magical thinking kind of way that we don’t see that, but I expect to be wrong. Philly seems to be the epicenter of really big gatherings so tou can just watch their hospitalizations as a measure. 

23 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

...LMAO...good luck with that......there were skeptics abound with the first one.....and now ANY concern for Covid-19 vanished and NEVER to be rekindled despite Fauci's warnings in the current climate...protesting and violence will prevail......back to the 60's, BILLIONS AND BILLIONS spent later (political answer regardless of party is throw money at the problem(s) as the solution)....what's changed?....

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, shoshin said:

They wont be back and if some states did try they wouldn’t be adhered to and rightfully so.

• Like (+1) 2