Who has a mesh network they like?

SDS

i’m a little worn out reading anonymous reviews and summaries from tech blogs. Anyone have a good experience or even a bad experience with a specific product? Looking for something to cover three levels and 3000 ft.².

28 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Are you doing a mesh with a single Ethernet connected WiFi hub and one ore more WiFi repeaters, or are you doing a mesh with multiple Ethernet connected wireless access points using the same SSID?

Cuz wired Ethernet always beats WiFi

most likely bridged to a FiOS router that will perform the dhcp. I have too many dead zones with my old Apple time capsules which I have in the top and bottom floors. 

Two would probably be hardwired to the FiOS router, the middle floor unit probably not. 

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

you probably want a gaming router.  i run a Netgear Nighthawk X10 here with roughly 2K square. If you are able to locate it on the middle floor in the center of the house, i would say you should be able to run whatever your needs are robustly with no repeaters.

https://www.netgear.com/landings/ad7200/

I also have a Netgear Nighthawk, mine is the R7450. 

Works great in my tri-level with 2,300 sq feet.  Replaced an old Apple AirPort Extreme that was terrible as time went on.  Multiple xbox’s at once, 2 smart TV’s and 4 people’s worth of phones and tablets.  Strong signal, have not had an issue since installing.  Very easy installation.

Had 2 Airport Express running with the AirPort Extreme to just cover the house.  Nighthawk replaced all 3 and I have better coverage.  One of the Expresses was hard wired with Cat. 5 cable and running my sons Xbox because he had serious latency issues when online.  Got rid of it all and no problems.

I had plans to add additional devices for coverage, but have had no reason to.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I also have a Netgear Nighthawk, mine is the R7450. 

Works great in my tri-level with 2,300 sq feet.  Replaced an old Apple AirPort Extreme that was terrible as time went on.  Multiple xbox’s at once, 2 smart TV’s and 4 people’s worth of phones and tablets.  Strong signal, have not had an issue since installing.  Very easy installation.

Had 2 Airport Express running with the AirPort Extreme to just cover the house.  Nighthawk replaced all 3 and I have better coverage.  One of the Expresses was hard wired with Cat. 5 cable and running my sons Xbox because he had serious latency issues when online.  Got rid of it all and no problems.

I had plans to add additional devices for coverage, but have had no reason to.

r9000 here, the big boy. probably overkill for my needs but i would rather have it that way than not enough. like you, i am very happy. the download port is awesome.

I have a netgear nighthawk too and agree with everyone saying they love it. It’s just a single WiFi unit, not a mesh network.

We have 2 phones, 4 tablets, Xbox, PlayStation, firestick, laptop, smart TV and a blue ray that streams on another TV, all connected to the WiFi. I get much better internet speeds vs. my previous WiFi.

It also covers my house much better than my old linksys WiFi did, and I get consistently high WiFi speeds everywhere on my property. It’s located at the front of the house and I usually get 120mbps internet speeds on the 2nd floor at the back of the house, or even out in my garage.

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, eball said:

I've got an Eero with three beacons, covering roughly 3500 sq. ft.  Does a nice job.

The complaint I heard about those is that it is some sort of a closed system and it doesn’t allow you to configure it the way you want without going through their servers. There’s a lot of going back-and-forth with their servers which is weird to me.

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

The complaint I heard about those is that it is some sort of a closed system and it doesn’t allow you to configure it the way you want without going through their servers. There’s a lot of going back-and-forth with their servers which is weird to me.

My only complaint a while back was that you couldn't specify whether you wanted to connect to the 2.4 or 5 network...some devices only connect to one and it would occasionally cause a conflict, but that seems to have been "fixed" somehow (you still can't pick 2.4 or 5).  I don't do a lot of configuring so your issue hasn't come up for me.

20 hours ago, Foxx said:

you probably want a gaming router.  i run a Netgear Nighthawk X10 here with roughly 2K square. If you are able to locate it on the middle floor in the center of the house, i would say you should be able to run whatever your needs are robustly with no repeaters.

https://www.netgear.com/landings/ad7200/

Ours is a Nighthawk X8 (R8500) and have never had an issue with it and oftentimes have had 2 gamers and 2 Amazon Prime streams running simultaneously on 2 different floors.  Probably a few other devices also running simultaneously with that.

House is small but with a fair amount of land, and have picked up a strong signal a good 300' outside the house.