Phone Etiquette

plenzmd1

Question for you all out there,  especially the folks under 35. Me being  the old bugger that I am, I quite frequently get up before 5 AM just cause I am old. 

I will often text / email people then, as I always turn off ringer before I go to bed, and I just assume everyone else does as well ( keep it off  most days to be honest ). Anyway, just hit me maybe not everyone does that, and maybe like the old days when you did not call someone after 9 Pm or before 7AM maybe there are rules and norms for this stuff and I just do. It know them. 

Any help/ideas ?

With the amber alerts going off at 2am and every 15 minutes or so, even after it was resolved hour earlier.... most people go to Do Not Disturb for their sleep.

or quickly learn to. :D

text and email away whenever you like

Hi Plenz,

I am somewhere in the middle of the older and newer generation being 37.  I do however get up in between 4-5am most days even though my job doesn't require it.  I don't know if this is the correct etiquette, but I do not text or call anyone before 8am.  The only exception is if I know they are supposed to be up if we are meeting or something in the morning.  I do however blast out emails like a champ in the morning.  

In terms of the evening things are a little more blurred.  I won't text anyone after 8pm unless it is someone I am close with and I know it won't bother them.  

I agree with you that most people should put their phone in silent mode when going to bed.  However, I don't think many people do this.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Maybe those partners only billed their clients that way.  ?

some do live on 2 hours sleep a day, sending out memos at any given hour....

when it was faxes it was more irritating than the ping of a phone

Sorry, the fax is still used for some professions.

At 41, I’m now up early every day. Saturday? Screw it, I was ready to go at 5:15 this morning.

I always go to DND every night. There are a select few Favorites who can bust thru by calling twice quickly.

I am courteous and don’t text before 7 usually. I say if the other party isn’t smart enough to set DND or sleeps really late just because they’re lazy, tough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If I wasn’t such a technodinosaur, my trip to the local print shop to send one yesterday might be unnecessary.

The medical profession still uses it, fortunately a fax machine is  still at the office to communicate with a client.

Edited by row_33

I am an old guy but have always worked at a large global firm...still do & interact with people usually younger than me. Sometimes projects require all access. People email at all hours due to time differences but I have a policy not to be notified of emails. However, if project situations require immediate access then they have my mobile # and can text or use something like Whatsapp. Everyone is professional and they only get hit me up when necessary.

A couple of things...I have never had a ringer on my phone...vibrate only. If I am at physical meetings then do not have to be concerned about turning it off. I have not yet had to turn on dnd. I guess I am lucky and/or I sleep well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

...There are a select few Favorites who can bust thru by calling twice quickly.

An ironic comparison to a fairly ‘well to do’ set of relatives, who would use ‘phone rings’ in the old days, to avoid long distance charges.  “Don’t pick up before 3 rings!  L and B will call, and let it ring twice, to let us know they’re home!”

EDIT:  Maybe that’s how they got to be ‘well to do’...not giving it to Ma Bell!  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

An ironic comparison to a fairly ‘well to do’ set of relatives, who would use ‘phone rings’ in the old days, to avoid long distance charges.  “Don’t pick up before 3 rings!  L and B will call, and let it ring twice, to let us know they’re home!”

EDIT:  Maybe that’s how they got to be ‘well to do’...not giving it to Ma Bell!  ?

Crap, they'd have a coronary looking at my cellphone bill for 5 phones.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Question for you all out there,  especially the folks under 35. Me being  the old bugger that I am, I quite frequently get up before 5 AM just cause I am old. 

I will often text / email people then, as I always turn off ringer before I go to bed, and I just assume everyone else does as well ( keep it off  most days to be honest ). Anyway, just hit me maybe not everyone does that, and maybe like the old days when you did not call someone after 9 Pm or before 7AM maybe there are rules and norms for this stuff and I just do. It know them. 

Any help/ideas ?

if its the weekend you beat not call text before 9AM unless it’s an emergency 

silent phones still buzz 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Any help/ideas ?

I don't take my personal phone to bed with me. My work phone is another matter. I don't have alerts for email, but the ringer and text alerts are on.  If someone does take a personal phone to bed with them then they should turn off notifications if they don't want to be disturbed.  Unfortunately, you are in the clear here, Gramps.

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

did that all time when going back to college..too funny

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

I don't take my personal phone to bed with me. 

and no one take Cripple Creek to bed with them either!

In terms of phone calls, it's important to know if there is an unusual situation in the household/business you are calling, e.g., If you're calling a residence, and you know there is someone sick or very elderly at that place, don't place a non-urgent call until late AM, or early PM.