How is this not PI?

Virgil

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but the amount of PI calls not getting overturned and now this?  Something’s up. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28103490/texans-deandre-hopkins-need-new-deciding-pi-calls

How is this not PI?

I’m fine with the no-call. Let them play.

The less flags the better.

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

No chance that got reversed....the refs are doing a "silent protest" of sorts on this, total waste of a timeout.  That challenge is really only meant to reverse the NFC championship game situation which happens about once per 100 years.

The concept of challenging uncalled penalties is a pandora's box I don't think we want.    

There was a replay review reversal in the 49ers v Cardinals game so your theory is false.

They need to throw the rule out, and everyone needs o deal with the fact that human error is part of officiating.  Somewhat on topic,   in SI this week was about innovations, and they talked about using automatic strike zones (use radar to measure), and how it would be accurate but take away from what we know as baseball. 

Football can put in reviews of every pay if they want, but it will ruin what we know as the game.  granted I'm an old school guy, but if this is how replay is going to be used and abused get rid of it entirely and let the refs do their job. 

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I’m fine with the no-call. Let them play.

The less flags the better.

There was a replay review reversal in the 49ers v Cardinals game so your theory is false.

Also week 1 for the Bills on a TD for the Jets.   But that does not make the theory false.   Plays like this have occurred throughout the league and the challenges are rarely reversed even though the video evidence seems to show otherwise.  It's not a theory, the data is there, teams are not challenging it as often either as a result.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but the amount of PI calls not getting overturned and now this?  Something’s up. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28103490/texans-deandre-hopkins-need-new-deciding-pi-calls

How is this not PI?

I think they get rid of the PI challenge for next season. Seems like they put this in to keep Payton quiet because it's not working

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Also week 1 for the Bills on a TD for the Jets.   But that does not make the theory false.   Plays like this have occurred throughout the league and the challenges are rarely reversed even though the video evidence seems to show otherwise.  It's not a theory, the data is there, teams are not challenging it as often either as a result.

Of course it’s false. If there were a protest then Richard Sherman wouldn’t have been flagged after review yesterday. 

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It was...league has been sending a clear message since week 1 that they are not going to overturn PI calls..no idea why coaches are still challenging them.

This is a one and done rule and will likely only be kept around for playoffs

Man, on the play where the Dolphins got caught with the late change and called for 12 men, McD had his challenge flag out and I thought he was gunna challenge a non PI call, and I was incredulous he was gunna challenge that. Him being smarter than me, he was actually going to challenge number of players on field ! 

10 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Of course it’s false. If there were a protest then Richard Sherman wouldn’t have been flagged after review yesterday. 

A counter example really does not prove much.  I guess I said no chance which I guess is what you are responding to.  I should have said pretty much no chance cause that is what it is.   In reality there is a small chance if it getting overturned as 32 of the previous  33 Pi challenges were upheld.   Your timeouts are beat used elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

No it was the competition committee lead by Sean Payton that created the rule and the challenge.  The League saw it as another catch rule failure - that also came out of the competition committee - and came out and stated early unless it was a play similar to the playoff game they were not going to overturn these in most cases. 

You saw the reason why in the preseason because the coaches were going to challenge every little bit of contact and it was going to make things unbearable.  Therefore from early on - the league has overturned very few of these.  

If the refs on the field are letting them play and did not call this contact all game - I have no issue with it not getting overturned.  It is clear that there is contact I would of had no issue with them throwing a flag for PI, but since they didn’t call it - I have no issue with them not overturning it.  Watching the rest of the game - they allowed pretty physical play on the outside with few calls - so that stayed right in line with the rest of the officiating.

Why are Two different bodies in effect  making conflicting rules?????  It then becomes a S show, power struggle. There are heads up aszes on this, jmo. 

19 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Why are Two different bodies in effect  making conflicting rules?????  It then becomes a S show, power struggle. There are heads up aszes on this, jmo. 

I do not even understand half of what you wrote here.

There are multiple ways rules get introduced in the NFL - this has been the case for years.  The number one way is the competition committee made up of coaches and GMs puts together rules that they want to see changed or updated.  Sean Payton is a part of this group and he was hell bent on getting some kind of review in place.  This is also the group that brought us the great catch debate for years as they could not define catch with the group.

The individual teams also have the ability to submit rules that they would like to see addressed.  Sometimes these are accepted and sometimes denied.  

The NFL and the Refs then have to take these approved rule and find out how they are going to fit into the current rules.  The decision was that for the most part these challenges need to fail or we are going to get unintended consequences late in games and playoffs.  They do not want these decisions to overturn how a game is being called. 

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not even understand half of what you wrote here.

There are multiple ways rules get introduced in the NFL - this has been the case for years.  The number one way is the competition committee made up of coaches and GMs puts together rules that they want to see changed or updated.  Sean Payton is a part of this group and he was hell bent on getting some kind of review in place.  This is also the group that brought us the great catch debate for years as they could not define catch with the group.

The individual teams also have the ability to submit rules that they would like to see addressed.  Sometimes these are accepted and sometimes denied.  

The NFL and the Refs then have to take these approved rule and find out how they are going to fit into the current rules.  The decision was that for the most part these challenges need to fail or we are going to get unintended consequences late in games and playoffs.  They do not want these decisions to overturn how a game is being called. 

it’s a catch 22.