PFW mock eludes to Redskins trade in next few days

PIZ

lito sheppard -- $25M over 5 years - $9M signing bonus

sheldon brown -- $30M over 6 years - $7.5M signing bonus

so you believe clements will sign a deal averaging $10M a year with a $16.5M signing bonus?

I'd say $9M a year average and $14M signing bonus. Again that's for ONE player, not 2 like above.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say $9M a year average and $14M signing bonus.  Again that's for ONE player, not 2 like above.

301505[/snapback]

how much do you think it would have took to lock clements up 2 and a half years before the expiration of his contract, like the eagles did with sheldon and lito?

i would think it would have been considerably cheaper then the numbers you just threw out there.........

how much do you think it would have took to lock clements up 2 and a half years before the expiration of his contract, like the eagles did with sheldon and lito?

i would think it would have been considerably cheaper then the numbers you just threw out there.........

You mean like TD tried to do with McGee last year?

301514[/snapback]

I'd agree with you on this but there is a missing factor or two (IMO): Nate in 2002/2003 was not half the player Nate is after seeing his play in 2004. It would have been a risk, although a calculated one. Also, there is the possibility of his agent advising him to hold out until the end or near end of his contract, in order to hit it big. It's not ever as easy as the GM just walking up and offering a player x amount of money and the player agreeing.

You mean like TD tried to do with McGee last year?

301520[/snapback]

correct.......i certainly wish the bills could have got that deal hammered out as obviously the price has now come up given mcgee's excellent 2nd half and pro bowl bearth.......hopefully they are still working hard at it as his price will continue to go up in my opinion, as i expect him to exceed expectations again.....

so do you have a guess for how much it would have took to get NC signed a year and a half ago? can we not agree he would have jumped at 4-5M/year with a 7-9M signing bonus?

I'd agree with you on this but there is a missing factor or two (IMO): Nate in 2002/2003 was not half the player Nate is after seeing his play in 2004. It would have been a risk, although a calculated one. Also, there is the possibility of his agent advising him to hold out until the end or near end of his contract, in order to hit it big. It's not ever as easy as the GM just walking up and offering a player x amount of money and the player agreeing.

301528[/snapback]

it certainly would have been a risk -- just like the eagles took a risk by offering those contracts to lito and sheldon after only half a season starting.......but if your not willing to take that risk you lose good young players because all of a sudden they have priced themselves out of your market......good GM's identify good, young players early and get them locked in early, before the temptation of free agency gets stronger.......if you don't, there gone OR your over paying to keep them, simple as that.......

i hear what your saying about the agent, and that is a possibility, but obviously the strategy worked with sheldon and lito and many, many other players who ink extensions.......i don't think it's far fetched to think that it would have worked with nate as well.......

correct.......i certainly wish the bills could have got that deal hammered out as obviously the price has now come up given mcgee's excellent 2nd half and pro bowl bearth.......hopefully they are still working hard at it as his price will continue to go up in my opinion, as i expect him to exceed expectations again.....

so do you have a guess for how much it would have took to get NC signed a year and a half ago? can we not agree he would have jumped at 4-5M/year with a 7-9M signing bonus?

You missed the point of my reply. I was trying to imply that TD already approached Clements years ago with an extension, and he declined, like McGee did.

You missed the point of my reply.  I was trying to imply that TD already approached Clements years ago with an extension, and he declined, like McGee did.

301582[/snapback]

i certainly got the point.......i expect (and hope) this is the case as well, although it has never been documented........much like mcgee, the price has certainly climbed in the past half year........

if they are both declining offers, while both philly's corners are accepting, one has to question what the real stumbling block is -- the players or the management? is it possible that both clements and mcgee are being unreasonable while both sheppard and sheldon are being reasonable? possible, but not likely.........

i certainly got the point.......i expect (and hope) this is the case as well, although it has never been documented........much like mcgee, the price has certainly climbed in the past half year........

if their are both declining offers, while both philly's corners are accepting, one has to question what the real stumbling block is -- the players or the management? is it possible that both clements and mcgee are being unreasonable while both sheppard and sheldon are being reasonable? possible, but not likely.........

Every player has their own motivation. I'm just guessing that, since TD offered McGee a contract extension last year, he must have done the same with Nate. Maybe the offer was too little? Maybe Nate and Terrence think of themselves as franchise CB's and will accept no less than that? In any case, you can't look at what other players got/took.

ELUDE = to avoid capture

ALLUDE = to make reference to.

Sorry for being a prick about words, but it's really becoming a problem that threatens our ability to compete globally.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/c...sinessesdeclare

Some of you laugh or get P.O'd by people who correct grammer and spelling, but some of these people have college diplomas!

PTR

301472[/snapback]

Exactly, PTR

When I first read the headline, I thought this may pertain to a trade that the Redskins were trying to avoid. I would expect this from someone attempting to phonetically spell the word. Maybe it is me but if I do not know the spelling or the correct grammar usage I grab a dictionary or pull out Strunk & White's "Elements of Style". I understand that people make mistakes and commit errors. Unfortunately, most of the English that I edit seems to come from laziness.

JMHO

Who could they be trading for?  Hopefully not Clements.

PFW Mock Draft

301335[/snapback]

If we can swing this trade and possibly trade down, even trade out of the 1st round entirely if we get enough picks in return, then we can do more than draft for need. We can also draft players who could allow us to dump high-priced but average perfroming players on our roster which really makes us able to sustain a long run at the ring.

Imagine if we trade down in the first for an extra 2nd rounder :

01 - DT Travis Johnson (FSU)

02 - OG Marcus Johnson (MIS)

02 - CB Bryant McFadden (FSU)

03 - TE Kevin Everett (MIA)

Could you imagine?

excellent point and comparison.......a's are making the best of an uneven system, but the NFL cap does level the playing field and their is no reason for the bills not to retain their good, young talent.........nate has earned his contract and deserves to be paid, and the bills should not hesitate to do so (in fact, they should have done it a year ago and got him at a cheaper rate, as the eagles do with good, young talent)........

301424[/snapback]

say it.....SAY IT!!!

Interesting.  Add to that the fact that the 'Skins have been hosting WR draftees:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20050410-124201-2820r.htm

I think a Clements deal may be in the works afterall, netting us a 2nd and 4th this year and a 1st next year...

301384[/snapback]

Just a quick FYI....I know you are only speculating, but the Deadskins do not have a 2nd round pick in this year's draft.

I doubt TD would make the deal with the 'Skins unless a CB he covets is available at #9 when the 'Skins are on the clock. If Clements is gone, we need a shutdown CB right off the bat and can't afford to wait around for a 2nd rounder or late first to develop. If Rolle is available at #9, and the Redskins come callin', I could actually see this happening. Snyder has the cash to throw Nate's way, and the Bills have the talent evaluators to trust trading a Pro Bowler for a future Pro Bowler if who they want is available at #9 and will get it at a significant lower cost than Nate for the next 5 years.

I doubt TD would make the deal with the 'Skins unless a CB he covets is available at #9 when the 'Skins are on the clock.  If Clements is gone, we need a shutdown CB right off the bat and can't afford to wait around for a 2nd rounder or late first to develop.  If Rolle is available at #9, and the Redskins come callin', I could actually see this happening.  Snyder has the cash to throw Nate's way, and the Bills have the talent evaluators to trust trading a Pro Bowler for a future Pro Bowler if who they want is available at #9 and will get it at a significant lower cost than Nate for the next 5 years.

301880[/snapback]

If Clements is traded, the Bills will sign Ty Law, depending on his health. I dont think they trade Clements if Ty Law wont be healthy opening day.

I doubt TD would make the deal with the 'Skins unless a CB he covets is available at #9 when the 'Skins are on the clock.  If Clements is gone, we need a shutdown CB right off the bat and can't afford to wait around for a 2nd rounder or late first to develop.  If Rolle is available at #9, and the Redskins come callin', I could actually see this happening.  Snyder has the cash to throw Nate's way, and the Bills have the talent evaluators to trust trading a Pro Bowler for a future Pro Bowler if who they want is available at #9 and will get it at a significant lower cost than Nate for the next 5 years.

301880[/snapback]

One issue I have is, who do you want to pay 10M+ signing bonus....Clements

or to a rookie signed at the #9 pick ?

I would rather have Clements especially if he can give a home town discount

and would rather stay here and see the bills in the playoffs the next few years

or go to the Redskins who will underachieve year after year.

If we can swing this trade and possibly trade down, even trade out of the 1st round entirely if we get enough picks in return, then we can do more than draft for need.  We can also draft players who could allow us to dump high-priced but average perfroming players on our roster which really makes us able to sustain a long run at the ring.

Imagine if we trade down in the first for an extra 2nd rounder :

01 - DT Travis Johnson (FSU)

02 - OG Marcus Johnson (MIS)

02 - CB Bryant McFadden (FSU)

03 - TE Kevin Everett (MIA)

Could you imagine?

301841[/snapback]

first you'd have to imagine we have no intention of re-signing NC or that TD & Co don't think he will re-sign

then you'd have to imagine that Washington actually wants to make this trade

then you'd have to imagine that there is nobody the Bills particulary want at #9. if they made this trade i'd have to think there is somebody they have their eye on

then you'd have to imagine that somebody would actually want to trade up. and it looks like there are more teams wanting to trade down than up in this weak draft

"could you imagine" posts are like that john lennon imagine song. yeah, it sounds good but at some point you gotta smack that hippie upside the head with a dose of reality