Lack of Singletary touches

Big Gun

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly thought before the season started, Gore was going to be a 4th quarter back and short yardage back.  

When the defense is starting to tire...Gore them up.  
I'm not sure what's going on.

Sure that’s what everyone thought when they let MCCoy go and said Singletary could handle his load. 

It was interesting looking over the stats between teams:

The Bills had more passing attempts - Eagles had 24 the Bills attempted 34

Both teams had one turnover

but the glaring thing we all noticed who were not looking for something in particular was the rushing attempts

Eagles had 41 rushes to the Bills 20

And for McD or anyone to say that we moved away from the run game because the Eagles defense was too successful stopping it:

Eagles had 5.3 yards per rush and the Bills had 4.9 - it was a good day to run the ball for either team it is just that the Eagles took advantage of it and we did not.

Just a poor job coaching to what was working in the conditions that were on the field and unnecessarily exposing your offense to high-risk/low-reward play calls that took no time off the clock to rest a flagging D.

Not sure if I care if it is Gore or Singletary getting more touches as long as our running backs GET more touches and as long as Daboll uses Singletary when he wants to attack the edges -  running the stretch plays where he can use his cutback ability and acceleration more effectively than Gore.

and... why did it seem like the Bills were the only team slipping out there - almost forgot to throw the equipment guy under the bus while I was venting :)

Edited by WideNine

32 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

So you're saying when he is in, just give him the rock?  Opposing defenses would sure love that logic.

So you're saying when a 5'7" rookie RB is in have him block all the time. Nope, I like my logic better! 

Edited by pop gun

10 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

That 5'7" thing could maybe be the issue no? Not many teams feature a scat back type, nor start the game with them. Maybe McD is worried he can't handle the bruising.

Could be but Barry Sanders was 5'8" and averaged over 300 carries and 35 catches a year but Singletary can't because he is an inch shorter? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

It was interesting looking over the stats between teams:

The Bills had more passing attempts - Eagles had 24 the Bills attempted 34

Both teams had one turnover

but the glaring thing we all noticed who were not looking for something in particular was the rushing attempts

Eagles had 41 rushes to the Bills 20

And for McD or anyone to say that we moved away from the run game because the Eagles defense was too successful stopping it:

Eagles had 5.3 yards per rush and the Bills had 4.9 - it was a good day to run the ball for either team it is just that the Eagles took advantage of it and we did not.

Just a poor job coaching to what was working in the conditions that were on the field and unnecessarily exposing your offense to high-risk/low-reward play calls that took no time off the clock to rest a flagging D.

Not sure if I care if it is Gore or Singletary getting more touches as long as our running backs GET more touches and as long as Daboll uses Singletary when he wants to attack the edges -  running the stretch plays where he can use his cutback ability and acceleration more effectively than Gore.

and... why did it seem like the Bills were the only team slipping out there - almost forgot to throw the equipment guy under the bus while I was venting :)

Buffalo was under 4 yards per carry (excluding scrambles). Aside from the one 16 yard scamper Singletary had, they were a little over 3 yards per carry with a long of 8. We weren’t running the ball well at all. 

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Buffalo was under 4 yards per carry (excluding scrambles). Aside from the one 16 yard scamper Singletary had, they were a little over 3 yards per carry with a long of 8. We weren’t running the ball well at all. 

Good catch as I did not take Allen OR Wentz out of it, but even makes a better case:

We only ran Singletary and Gore together a total of 12 times to the Eagles 33 times for their designed runs.

Singletary Ave: 6.3 yds/carry

Gore:  3.78 yds/carry

It was working, but you have to run your running backs more than 12 times, and I am pretty sure we would have had more success keeping it on the ground than all the 3 and outs we had trying to pass in that crap. Plus we would have taken some time off the clock, and perhaps even have given our defense a rest. I am not saying line up in the I formation and sell out that it is a run play, but would prefer we used a base package that Allen could run or pass out of based on the front and leaned more on the run.

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

So you're saying when a 5'7" rookie RB is in have him block all the time. Nope, I like my logic better! 

Did I even say or suggest "all the time"?  Part of a RB responsibilities is to be able to block on pass plays when not put out on a route.  Especially if he is to be a feature back as you are suggesting.  But you are already know that...or maybe you don't!

I would like to see us run more period. No stupid trick plays and keep the number of times JA stands back there like a wooden indian not moving his feet in the pocket down to a minimum. They should dole out more passes(and i consider passes those greater than 7 yarders and less than 4 seconds to complete)when he shows he can  make smarter decisions with the ball.

Edited by Tcali