Some All-22 Review

elijah

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Its.  One.  Game.

Belicheck has made many a young QB look bad.  Mahomes looked bad against NE last year.

The reason to throw in overall stats averaged out over 4 games is to bring in perspective.  NE isn't just "good competition", they're the defending SB champs and currently undefeated this year - they had not even allowed a TD on defense.    Obviously, for a guy to be the Franchise, he has to be able to come through in big moments against top competition, but very few QB are at that level in their 15th game.  Mahomes, who had a record-breaking first year as a starter, threw 2 picks in his first NE game and 3 against the Rams last year, and looked bad as well for all the passing yards he put up.  And he plays for one of the best offensive minds in the game, notable for developing QB, and had a year to sit  and learn from watching a quality NFL QB with a solid offensive cast.

I'm not saying Allen is Mahomes - no way - but to dismiss his previous games to focus in on how bad he looked Sunday while yourself generalizing to "good competition" and "bottom feeders", shouldn't sway anyone either, whether they watched last Sunday or not.

THIS is worth repeating. People need to chill. I make no promises, but I’m not declaring doom, either. 

17 hours ago, warrior9 said:

You don't feel like Spain is good? Or have you confirmed that? Spain and Dawkins are not our issue.

In fact, Morse had a rouggghhh day on Sunday. Spain has been very consistent and i'm extremely pleased with him. Feliciano is better than Ford at guard and right now, Nsekhe is better than him at tackle. He's a rookie coming from a spread offense. He needs time. I don't think he should be on the field but I don't think I'm going to argue the value of him being on the field vs him getting "mental reps."

I think Spain is solid in run blocking but his pass protection i've seen him get completely owned on several occasions right off the snap.  I'm not a tape breaking down guru just going off of some of the things that have stood out to me during actually watching the game.  

It's interesting going back to the OBD tape of when Beane was pumped that Panthers jumped up and took Greg Little instead of Ford.  Greg Little is coming off of his first full game at LT, after splitting time at LT the game previously, and he's been excellent.  PFF (not the end-all-be-all in player grading, I know) has Little at an 86.4 in pass protection.  Cody Ford's pass pro grade? 45.8. 

What exactly was Beane seeing on tape that he was so excited Ford fell to him (he even said they were considering trading back into the late first to get him) that is not translating to the NFL?  His feet are so slow he's just getting beat to the QB by an everyday speed rush on the edge.  He's been decent run blocking, I'm actually very happy with this unit's run blocking as a whole this year, which is why I think Ford, if you're wanting to get him game reps, you get him the reps at RG.  Do the timeshare with Feliciano if you must, but Ford at RT is a major liability for Allen

Edited by Laughing Coffin

3 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

I think Spain is solid in run blocking but his pass protection i've seen him get completely owned on several occasions right off the snap.  I'm not a tape breaking down guru just going off of some of the things that have stood out to me during actually watching the game.  

There were a couple in the Jets game (in which I agree he didn't play well), and there was a communication breakdown that I think was on him at the end of the Cincy game and then he got beaten on one bull rush this Sunday. Other than that I don't recognise the plays to which you are referring.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, mannc said:

I disagree regarding the tackling.  I thought it was the best the Bills have tackled since McDermott took over.  NFL backs are going to break tackles; that's just a fact of life, but I didn't see many broken tackles on Sunday.

It seems to me this defense has clearly stepped it up from the high level at which they played last year.  Wonder if anyone has any theories as to why.  It's basically the same personnel.  Is it Oliver?  Edmunds's development?  Another year in the system?      

Yeah me too.

The tackling has been outstanding. They make great open field, one on one tackles. I remember one in the first quarter, I believe it was Milano made one on James White that was superb. Brady hit him out of the backfield in the flat, I think on a third and 10 and Milano dropped him for basically no gain or a gain of one. I think the tackling in the open field has been outstanding. And like you said, the offensive guys get paid too. You're not going to make 100% of tackles in the NFL.

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

Yeah me too.

The tackling has been outstanding. They make great open field, one on one tackles. I remember one in the first quarter, I believe it was Milano made one on James White that was superb. Brady hit him out of the backfield in the flat, I think on a third and 10 and Milano dropped him for basically no gain or a gain of one. I think the tackling in the open field has been outstanding. And like you said, the offensive guys get paid too. You're not going to make 100% of tackles in the NFL.

I remember that too.  It was the type of play where the RB typically beats the LB, and White is a tough guy to

bring down.  Great play by Milano.  

I don't get what the Bills were looking at when they watched Ford's tape.  Anyone with any football knowledge could tell he was going to struggle mightily with speed rushers at this level.  I know it's early, but for me, the RT experiment is over.  Have to hope he turns into a stud guard.