Went to a high school football game today...

...and it was pretty funny. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve seen a high school game played, and it’s really interesting seeing the wide variety of sizes and skills amongst the players.  The QB was bigger than all the offensive lineman, the WR was the punter and the place kicker. And the parents cheering (and heckling) were a sight to see, as well.

It was a very sloppy game. Lots of turn overs and long TDs due to poor coverage and missed tackles...but...

I enjoyed it. 

It also gave me a humbling perspective regarding how talented the teams and players are that we see on Sundays.

Just got back from one myself. I never went to HS football games until my kid hit HS. Level of play is actually pretty good, but there are definitely some men among boys. 

First game I went to was 2 years ago and there was this kid on the other team that was a one man wrecking crew. WR, LB and kicker. Felt bad for the DB. Turns out he was the top rated TE in the country even though he had never played TE and went to Ohio State the following year.

My brothers high school games were hilarious. There was one offensive lineman that was 6’4” 260 and the rest were 5’6” 110. The running back was a very un-athletic to be nice kid about 5’7” 230.

The QB would just throw the ball as high as he could straight up in the air on 75% of his throws. Sometimes they made it past the LOS.  They also ran only 3 plays on offense. Fb trap, HB sweep, and slants.

The coach was terrible and their best players rarely saw the field besides the big OL.  The only time they scored is when they put the backups in after the game got out of hand. Made no sense. Parents would scream at the coach constantly telling him how dumb he was. 

Our youngest son finished HS football about 8 years ago. He was a DB at 5’9” and 185# until becoming QB as a senior. This was a fairly small Catholic school, but his OL averaged 285#. When I started going to Bills games, I doubt they had a single player at 285#. My, how times have changed!