This is shocking

Gary M

On 9/23/2019 at 11:05 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That’s why 007 had to use an electric fan to zap the bad guy in the tub in the opening scene of ‘Goldfinger’.  New World 110v. girly man voltage.  Shocking!  ?

EDIT:  Had to go rewatch.  It was an electric heater.

Connery was the best Bond!

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why Thomas Edison went around touring as states executed prisoners with Tesla's AC during the "current wars."

Uncle Fester never has a  problem.  He's DC:

fester_lightbulb.png

Oh, wait... That's an AC bulb... I must be getting Jackie Coogan confused w/ @DC Tom

Incandescent bulbs can run on DC or AC. Uncle Fester's battery doesn't need an inverter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

They're required on outdoor plugs, right?  I'd think the garage would meet that category.

Depends on whether you consider inside the garage as being outdoors. I think it's a great idea but ive only heard of them being required here in places close to water, like kitchen sinks and bathrooms and plugs on outside walls 

On 9/23/2019 at 11:18 AM, Gary M said:

...turrible loss of some FINE "debits and credits".....SMH..............

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Depends on whether you consider inside the garage as being outdoors. I think it's a great idea but ive only heard of them being required here in places close to water, like kitchen sinks and bathrooms and plugs on outside walls 

The switch for all of my outdoor plugs is actually on one of the plugs in the garage.  I'm not sure how common that is.  The house is only 4 years old, so it's going to be pretty close to whatever the current codes are.  I hadn't been in a house prior to that since around 2000 and I have absolutely not clue if the outdoor plugs had them or where they were.  That one was built in the mid-70s.

On 9/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, Greybeard said:

110 volts will kill you just as fast under the same circumstances.   I wonder if they have ground fault protection in Russia.

GFI?  Hell, the power surge from this probably knocked out power to the entire oblast.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, shrader said:

The switch for all of my outdoor plugs is actually on one of the plugs in the garage.  I'm not sure how common that is.  The house is only 4 years old, so it's going to be pretty close to whatever the current codes are.  I hadn't been in a house prior to that since around 2000 and I have absolutely not clue if the outdoor plugs had them or where they were.  That one was built in the mid-70s.

Electrical is one of the only things I don't have to look at or worry about. Here we have a separate organization the inspects under their own electrical codes. The Building code here in Ontario doesn't really get into electrical outside of where lights are required and a few other smaller details. Interpretation of codes can be big because everything is written in 'legal jargon' and some things can be interpreted differently. You can get into some debates over whether the inside of an attached garage is classified as still being inside the house or outside.

• Thank you (+1) 1