The Athletic: How Joe Schoen became one of the most trusted voices in the Bills’ front office

YoloinOhio

For those with a sub, great deep dive into Beane’s right hand man. Future GM candidate who feels content staying in Buffalo to see this through. 

From their first summer together, Beane saw part of himself in Schoen. It’s what initially drew him to his second-in-command. And it’s why, in part, Schoen was able to transition from NFL outsider nearly 20 years ago to one of the most trusted voices inside the Bills organization.

“Joe is the greatest intern I ever had,” Beane said. “He was one of those guys that, he got penalized because he was good. … We had a coach that, if coffee wasn’t made by 5:30 in the morning, he was bitching at training camp. So, a couple of times some interns were late getting there — it was like 5:45, and I’m hearing this coach grumble about it.

“So I finally said to Joe, ‘You go do it every day.’ Well, that wasn’t fair to him, but I didn’t want my ass chewed. I knew it was getting handled, so I gave it to Joe.”

Between his work ethic and the friendship he formed with Beane on the basketball court, Schoen earned his way into his boss’ inner circle in short order.

Now the second chair in Buffalo, as assistant GM, Schoen knows the thoughts of his ascension to the top job are unavoidable. Those around him see the full package — interpersonal skills, attention to detail and eye for talent.

“He’s going to be a GM,” Beane said. “The thing about him is that he’s smart enough to know that he’s still learning and growing, and he’s trying to get stronger at his craft. He wants to be totally ready when he gets in there.

“Instead of just rushing to the seat and then trying to figure it out, Joe’s that guy that he wants to have all the answers to the test before he goes and sits down. Very few people are like that. There’s so many people in this business that are just trying to get into that head coach seat, that GM seat, and maybe they’re not ready for it. I have no doubt he’s going to be ready for it. He’s a great communicator. He understands people. You’re not going to outwork him.”

Said Schoen: “I do probably have aspirations of being a GM. Like, yeah, it’d be great to run your own program, but I don’t have to do that. It’s something that I wouldn’t mind doing, but there’s nothing inside of me that says you have to do that before you retire or whatever it might be.”

The hesitation stems, in part, from his current situation. Schoen feels the weight of unfinished business with the Bills.

“I love Buffalo. There’s nothing more I’d like to see than a Super Bowl or a parade,” he said. “I couldn’t imagine what it was like up here in the ’90s. I think it would be unbelievable. I’d like to see that through to be honest with you, I really would. I’m in a good place, I like Orchard Park, I like where I live, my kids like it. I’m working with Brandon. I’m happy.

“If we win, then it will be deserved. Do I think I can do it? I think I can.”

https://theathletic.com/1208540/2019/09/13/youre-not-going-to-outwork-him-how-joe-schoen-became-one-of-the-most-trusted-voices-in-the-bills-front-office/

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For those with a sub, great deep dive into Beane’s right hand man. Future GM candidate who feels content staying in Buffalo to see this through. 

https://theathletic.com/1208540/2019/09/13/youre-not-going-to-outwork-him-how-joe-schoen-became-one-of-the-most-trusted-voices-in-the-bills-front-office/

...major, MAJOR kudos to Pegula letting McBeane select his "ultimate staff of 17+" all on Terry's nickel....safe to say we are seeing SOME (COUGH) results so far?...I'll hang up now and await the usual "Trio Of Negative Nellies" to chime in on schedule........

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...major, MAJOR kudos to Pegula letting McBeane select his "ultimate staff of 17+" all on Terry's nickel....safe to say we are seeing SOME (COUGH) results so far?...I'll hang up now and await the usual "Trio Of Negative Nellies" to chime in on schedule........

Which one will chime in first? Curly, Larry or Moe?

• Haha (+1) 1