A Few Thoughts about the PRESEASON Game, In no particular order

Virgil

Nice work, Virgil ... I can't say I watch preseason games that closely, so I appreciate your insight. Minor comments/quibbles:

- I think McCoy showed more burst Friday night than he did all season in 2018. I think it's likely he's lost a step or two, but I found his performance in limited action encouraging.

- Gore looks like the same old Frank Gore. Which is a good thing.

- I like McKenzie as that extra WR/return guy, which makes me wonder ...

- ... was it really necessary to sign Andre Roberts? I think they'll take a significant cap hit if they cut him this year, so I imagine he'll stay. McKenzie is younger and at this point offers more upside. Fumble-itis is the sole reason Denver cut him, but sometimes that gets better (too soon to tell)

- are we sure that the O line is significantly better than last year's? I mean, if Morse is there and healthy, it has to be. But if he's not? John Miller signed for more than Jon Feliciano. I'm not saying he's better, but it does suggest there was a stronger market for Miller. Ryan Groy may make the roster of a much better offense, the Saints. I'm not saying he's better than Long, but ... we went with a slew of middling, mostly aging guys to fill in for previously middling, mostly aging guys (Ducasse, Bodine). I'm not being unduly pessimistic here in saying that I'm not sold on the significant upgrade, particularly after watching Friday's game. Health has a lot to do with it, but lots of fans seem a bit too optimistic about what guys like Feliciano, Long, and Nsekhe can realistically do ... a lot depends on you, Cody Ford ...

I sure hope you're right about Edmunds. I was decidedly unimpressed with him last year, but he has the physical attributes to be great. Personaly, I think he needs a bigger mean streak.

Oh, and I'm a strawberry and banana guy, myself. Next time you feel like dessert, dice a banana and apple. Stir in a bunch of yogurt and pour some granola on top. Yum... 

On 8/24/2019 at 7:46 AM, RochesterLifer said:

First off, great synopsis. Good read and quality thoughts. Thank you!

I think Allen's performance itself showed us precisely why he was out there. He needs to become comfortable operating within the flow of the game. He needs to be able to perform while handing it off 75% of the time. The stupid (and it was) throw across his body provides a teachable moment. The two minute drill TD re-enforces the good and increases confidence. 

Whether he's the star or we're grinding it out with the run, he just needs to continue his development with awareness, discipline and readiness. He needed to be in there for game three and benefitted from it.

C’mom, he admitted it was a stupid throw later in the sideline interview, and with his big arm, there will be plays he thinks he can make just like Kelly and Favre  did.