A Few Thoughts about the PRESEASON Game, In no particular order

Virgil

4 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Virgil nice work.

I thought the RBs looked good. Yeldon has played his way back on this roster. Agree on Edmunds as well.

Daboll's play calling reminded me of the Jauron era. Putrid!

It was a nationally televised game. They did nothing to change all the haters minds. Allen Included.

They specifically wanted to work on the run game to determine where the RB's were at and who gave them their best OL combination for the running game. When Barkley came in they were passing in order to further evaluate the WR's. Your notion that Daboll's play calling was putrid is simply a misunderstanding of the purpose of the preseason. His play calling was exactly right for what they were trying to do.

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

I don't want them to go deep in the play either book but Run Run pass is just a waste of time for everyone. How is JA supposed to get into any rhythm? If they didn't care about getting the young QB good reps why was he in the game at all?

Just because you were bored with it does not mean it was a waste of time for the team.  Not at all.  The first team offense had gotten virtually no running game work in the first two games. Josh needs these reps as much as he does the passing reps.  Reading the defense, making line calls, controlling the pace, etc. Just keeping his patience faced with difficult down and distance and limited passing opportunities is also a skill to be evaluated.  (He failed that one).   Certainly the OL and running backs needed this.  Although I do not expect this to a normal offensive game plan, there will be times in games, and perhaps even particular weeks, when it will be the game plan.  You need to be able to run when when you want to, and convert when you have to.  

I think we saw what the offense is capable of with the two minutes drill at the end of the half.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The coaches made those challenges in order to determine how those plays might be called in the regular season. Those plays would not normally be challenged, just like the amount of going for it 4th down won't happen in a couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

aflac.jpg

Duck, Duck, . . .

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

To clarify on my RB position.  It’s not that I think they played poorly. I just don’t think they did anything exceptional or that any other RB would have done in the same spot. 

If we are going to pay someone, it needs to be because they play at a higher level than the next guy.  

In my opinion, from that one game, Singletary could’ve done the same thing with their snaps. 

But, as always, happy to be wrong 

First off great rundown of the game.

As for our 2 AARP RBs, these 2 guys have had a combined 24 preseason between them.

They knocked off the rust yesterday and know how to change gears when the games start to count.

As for the money, Shady is in the sunset of his contract and Gore at 2 million is peanuts.

If they both can stay relatively healthy I am looking for these 2 to have a fun competitive year between them with both of them making the other better.

38 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

They specifically wanted to work on the run game to determine where the RB's were at and who gave them their best OL combination for the running game. When Barkley came in they were passing in order to further evaluate the WR's. Your notion that Daboll's play calling was putrid is simply a misunderstanding of the purpose of the preseason. His play calling was exactly right for what they were trying to do.

I understand your point. The 3rd preseason game is the one that is supposed to be more regular season than the other 3 (ie some lite game planning and starters play longer). So why work on the run game this week? 

6 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

They were horrible last night. Throw by Allen is inexcusable - that is a throw a high school quarterback makes.

Not a good throw but man thats some harsh criticism! 

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Usually teams dress 7 on the OL. 

I feel pretty comfortable with:

Dawkins - Spain - Morse - Long - Ford

Feliciano - Nsehke

id rather start Feliciano over Long or Spain, but with Morse being so fragile, I don’t know if they’d risk the backup C, being a starting G? 

The main worry I have would be with Spain.  He hasn’t looked great and might miss some time.  How does that effect the 7 we dress Week 1?  

Of course, Nsehke could/maybe should start, then Ford kicks inside and what do we do for swing tackle?

Spain looks way out of shape- even for an O lineman

I have no clue what they were trying to accomplish last night.  I'm not buying they wanted to work on run blocking crap  You can pass on first or second down and still run block on other downs Early on it felt like they were trying to put Allen into third and long on purpose on every drive.  Then why have Barkley throw all over the field in the 2nd half?  Giving the two old vets all those carries seems like showcasing for trade value.  Do Gore and Shady any touches in pre season?  Stupid throw by Allen.........again!   I'd start coaching the receivers to stop breaking back across his body to not even tempt him to make these type of dumb plays.  Pass rush will be the weak ***** in the Bills defense again. They had a chance to swallow Stafford on one play and I saw at least two whiffs by pass rushers  Bills lack the edge guy to take over a game or make teams adjust their play calling.  Edmunds was awesome, Milano to me doesnt look back 100%,,,,yet

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I have no clue what they were trying to accomplish last night.  I'm not buying they wanted to work on run blocking crap  You can pass on first or second down and still run block on other downs Early on it felt like they were trying to put Allen into third and long on purpose on every drive.  Then why have Barkley throw all over the field in the 2nd half?  Giving the two old vets all those carries seems like showcasing for trade value.  Do Gore and Shady any touches in pre season?  Stupid throw by Allen.........again!   I'd start coaching the receivers to stop breaking back across his body to not even tempt him to make these type of dumb plays.  Pass rush will be the weak ***** in the Bills defense again. They had a chance to swallow Stafford on one play and I saw at least two whiffs by pass rushers  Bills lack the edge guy to take over a game or make teams adjust their play calling.  Edmunds was awesome, Milano to me doesnt look back 100%,,,,yet

Maybe you should read and listen then.

The entire direction reffing is taking is counterproductive to the game.  The PI challenge is so stupid.  Give the ref in the booth or NY authority to stop the game and review the play if something egregious is missed like for NO last season.  Maybe even only in the last 5 minutes of each half.

We're getting OCD about every call and it just kills the game flow.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice job, Virgil.  I haven't cranked up my efforts for the year.

I agree a lot about Edmunds. He was a different player last night for last December.  He's impressive closing on the run, and he's impresave on pass defense.  The rest of his game sucks.

I disagree about the running backs.  I saw great burst from McCoy.  Yes, he just took what he got, but he also made subtle moves to get the most out of each.  I saw good power from Gore after contact.  I think running back will be a strength for the Bills.

I thought the starting d line was great against the run. I thought they got decent pressure.  Gotta remember that most d lines get good pressure only some of the time. 

I've been a Duke fan since the day the Bills signed him. 

Thanks again.  I like your work.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice job, Virgil.  I haven't cranked up my efforts for the year.

I agree a lot about Edmunds. He was a different player last night for last December.  He's impressive closing on the run, and he's impresave on pass defense.  The rest of his game sucks.

I disagree about the running backs.  I saw great burst from McCoy.  Yes, he just took what he got, but he also made subtle moves to get the most out of each.  I saw good power from Gore after contact.  I think running back will be a strength for the Bills.

I thought the starting d line was great against the run. I thought they got decent pressure.  Gotta remember that most d lines get good pressure only some of the time. 

I've been a Duke fan since the day the Bills signed him. 

Thanks again.  I like your work.  

Looking forward to the “rockpile review”... especially the one after a 3-1 start with a decisive home win over the Pats! 

4 hours ago, qwksilver said:

I don't want them to go deep in the play either book but Run Run pass is just a waste of time for everyone. How is JA supposed to get into any rhythm? If they didn't care about getting the young QB good reps why was he in the game at all?

There are other players beside Allen that need to develop rhythm as well.   Like the OL and TEs run blocking, which was not featured in the first two games...

• Like (+1) 1