First Bills game you went to?

VABills

The first game I remember watching (though I am sure I saw more) was the year before when the Bills beat the Dolphins in the Orange Bowl for the first time when Uwe Von Schaaman missed 2 FGs in OT and Joe Danelo knocked one through for the Bills win in Dan Marino's first career start.

The Bills are 57-17 in games that I have attended a .770 win percentage.  I need to go more often, apparently I'm lucky.

296755[/snapback]

That was Fergy's best day as a pro, too. I believe he threw for over 400 yards.

My first game was the '78 opener against the Steel Curtain. It was a loss, but it was great to be in that atmosphere at the age of 8. Good times... good times.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are 57-17 in games that I have attended a .770 win percentage.  I need to go more often, apparently I'm lucky.

296755[/snapback]

Sweet Jesus ! :lol: Let me find you a headhunter for Buffalo or Rochester. We need that good Karma back in WNY. :lol:

September 1985...Giants Stadium against the Jets.  Bills opening drive results in a field goal...Jets go on to score the next 42 points.  Lean days indeed.  Still loved my team though, despite the stellar leadership at QB of Dufek, Mathison and Ferragamo.  :lol:

296149[/snapback]

That was the 1st Bills road game I ever saw. I went with a group a Jets season ticket holders who were friends of a co-worker & had an extra seat. The Jets had gotten trounced by the Raiders 31-0 on opening day & I thought we had a legitimate chance of winning. When we went up 3-0 I was smelling victory. Next thing I knew the Jets kept scoring & everyone but a handful of people left the stadium. All the Jets fans around me went home & I was about the only one left in the section-all I wanted was the Bills to score a TD before the game ended. At least it was an easy ride home since by the end of the game the parking lot had already emptied out.

My 1st Bills game was December 9, 1973, the Bills last home game of the year. They beat the Patriots 37-13, O.J. rushed for 219 yards and didn't murder anyone. The thing I remember most is the lousy weather. It was a very wet snow & even with the blanket I brought in we got totally soaked (the blanket was wet & steaming by the 4th quarter) & then had to drive back to Fredonia. I took all my clothes & the blanket & put them in the dryer as soon as we got back to the dorm.

My first Buffalo Bills game was at the Ralph (Rich Stadium) it was the second, maybe third season at the new Building. I was pretty young, the Bills were playing the Pats but the details of the game really didn’t matter to me. It was the atmosphere that is imprinted in my mind. I had never seen so many people in one place before, happy people…. Now I understand they were very “happy” people. It was cold and rainy but no one seemed to care. The masses were having a ball and this child wanted to be part of it. My parents had packed subs, chips, Pepsi and my fathers Genny in cans. Those were the good old days when parents didn’t fear giving there kids a sip from the beer can. The folks we had parked next to, offered my dad spirits from their portable bar and offered the rest of us Italian sausage of their grill. Walking into the stadium I remember thinking my parents had pulled a fast one on me, because the field looked so small compared to the ones I had seen on the TV. Our seats were at about the 15-yard line; home side about 35 rows up. (These details I remember because my parents bought season tickets the following year in apx the same area) The Bills did win the game. And when we returned back to our cars, soaked and cold, my parents started packing the car, but the people in the parking lot just wanted to celebrate, I wanted to stay, I knew I’d be back…I think I got into trouble for the fit I threw…A Bills fan for life!

The stadium opened in 1973 not 74. The first game I went to was in the 1st or 2nd week in November 1973 against the Bengals before they had those ugly stripes on their helmets. The Bengals kicked a last second field goal to break the tie and win the game but just before that OJ had thrilled the crowd, which he did quite a bit that year with a nice TD run.

296569[/snapback]

Oops, I guess it was 73 when I went then. Damn. But I went to the Miami game the first year it opened. :lol:

It was in September 1964 and I can't remember who we played. It was the 2nd or 3rd game of the season and was raining. I had just returned home from the Navy and was excited to find out that we had a pro team in Buffalo.

The one thing I do remember is that I parked in the driveway of a little store that was in sight of the main entrance. After the game I made a deal with the owner and that was my parking spot until we went to the Rich. If I remember, there was a Loblows parking lot right across the street.

Seems like a Loooooooooong time ago. Things get a little fuzzy when trying to remember the old days.

Three years ago I went with my father to see my first Bills game. I would have been 15 then. It was late in the season and there really wasn't that much to cheer for because they were locked out of the playoffs. It wasn't against San Diego, and the Bills won 17-10 or something like that. But in the fourth quarter, the Chargers played Flutie, and the crowd went nuts (they had been chanting for him before).

As a former Torontonian, I was pretty pumped to see my favourite CFL team's superstar live in the NFL. He didn't do too hot, but hey - it was still cool.

Also, my Dad bought me a Bledsoe jersey, which was last week replaced with a McGahee jersey :lol:

EDIT: Hehe check that. It WAS against San Diego. Whoops.

I was there. It was the most exciting sporting event I have ever attended.

Do you remember the clutch sack by Pat Williams? I barely knew who he was at the time.

296147[/snapback]

To be honest, I don't...I just remember thinking (before the Flutie play) WTF - my first game and we're gonna lose.

Nowadays - even if we're down by 27 pts, I think well it's just a 4 score game...needless to say I end up being disappointed. ;-)

I also remember thinking, man even the punters are HUGE!

C

My first game was the first game ever played at Rich Stadium, a pre-season game against the Redskins. My sister, and her boyfriend took me. He was a "star" player at UB, and had a free agent tryout with the Bills. (Never made the Bills, but ended up playing some semi-pro ball). He was friends with a number of Bills "fringe" players, John Leypoldt in particular. He hooked us up with seats. The Bills got beat bad, the opening kickoff was returned by the Redskins for a TD (first play at Rich, an omen?), and it was all downhill from there. I was only 8 at the time, it seemed like a long night to me. I do remember, distinctly, looking over the wall of the stadium, very late in the game, to see that there were still lots of people coming in the gates. Nobody realized how long it would take to get to the new digs, or how bad traffic would be.

I also remember, getting my kicks, late in the game, throwing peanut shells down the plumbers cleavage of some guy sitting in front of us. I thought it was funny as hell, he couldn't figure out what was going on. My sisters' boyfriend thought it was funny, but when my sister figured out what I was doing, she put the kabosh on it! She always sort of a killjoy!

Anyway, I still have my ticket stub, and the commemorartive coin they gave out that night. I have been to about 70 or 80 games since (most in Buffalo, but about 20 road games), and still have my stub for each one....

Well since we seem to have a lot of OTs, let's have at least a Bills related post.  I know we have done this in the past, but when was your first Bills game. 

Mine was in the brand new Stadium in 1974 against the fish.  Of course everyone knows the outcome as it was the Bills playing the fish in the 70's.  :lol:

296036[/snapback]

Pre-season, at the Rockpile, late 1960-s, against Detroit, and WE WON!

My first Bills game was at the RockPile in 62 or 63...I was 9 or 10 and don't remember much about the game..I do remember going to Chin's Chinese restaurant on Main Street before the game and getting hooked on Chinese food LOL...

I do remember the PAT footballs going into the stands and laughing at the security people trying to catch the kids running with the ball....