Who wears a CPAP? Love it? Hate it?

Augie

I've had one for about 4.5 years. I can't sleep without it anymore. I think my sleep study had me stopping breathing at about 42 times per hour.

Was on a business trip last year, and the place we were staying at lost power (along with the rest of that county) due to a storm. Roughest night's sleep I've had in years. I had a sore throat all next day due to the irritation from my throat not being used to closing up anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Maybe you have a future with the BILLS.  You could stay in the visiting team's hotel, WITHOUT your CPAP.  A Win-Win!  Might even be better than pulling the Fire Alarm?

At the very least, it couldn’t hurt and I can’t get arrested for not wearing my CPAP. I might get shot if I’m with my wife in a hotel room, but I won’t be arrested!

Personally, I was prescribed the CPAP by Dr. Wife as well, Augie, lol.  When I am awake and SHE starts snoring, I always wake her up, suggesting she get a sleep study lol...

I have been using mine for a few years, with a "nasal pillow".  My old CPAP was just forced air 100% of the time, but the newer ones are APAP, and seem to be more intelligent about how much air to push and when. 

Has anyone ever forgotten it was on and rolled hard away from it?  I had a few beers one night and really turned over hard.  Sweet Jesus, the machine knocked the lamp off the end table, bounced off of my head and landed upside down in the bed, pouring water out the little vent. The dog went absolutely bat$#!t thinking that I was being attacked, and my screamed bloody murder because she thought it was a home invasion.  It was kind of funny the next morning. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Has anyone ever forgotten it was on and rolled hard away from it?  I had a few beers one night and really turned over hard.  Sweet Jesus, the machine knocked the lamp off the end table, bounced off of my head and landed upside down in the bed, pouring water out the little vent. The dog went absolutely bat$#!t thinking that I was being attacked, and my screamed bloody murder because she thought it was a home invasion.  It was kind of funny the next morning. 

I built mine into a nightstand.  So when I roll over, I just dislocate my neck.

Side note: that overpriced SoClean CPAP cleaner you see advertised for $300+?  You can build one for $40 - a plastic storage box with a good seal and an ozone generator.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Side note: that overpriced SoClean CPAP cleaner you see advertised for $300+?  You can build one for $40 - a plastic storage box with a good seal and an ozone generator.  

Is that really all it is?

I use a CPAP.  Oddly enough, I rarely stop breathing at night, but the sleep study showed that my breathing becomes shallow when I'm sleeping.  When I was heavier, I also needed oxygen with my CPAP,  but was able to get rid of that a couple years ago.  I'm glad for that as an oxygen concentrator can sound like a boiler factory.  Oddly enough, the CPAP machine bothers my wife more than the oxygen concentrator and more than my snoring.  The air coming out of the mask will make an annoying noise if it hits the sheets.  If she can stay asleep, she's fine, but if she wakes up, On the rare nights that I don't use my CPAP, I don't even snore anymore, provided I can keep symptoms of my ever present allergies under control.  I'd rather not need a CPAP machine, but it doesn't bother me terribly.  I sleep pretty well with it.

31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I bought a cheap ozone generator at Amazon.  I have a heated air hose, so it doesn't fit as instructed, so I figured out a way to  reverse it, hooking up the machine end of the hose to the mask and the mask end of the hose to the ozone generator.  Since the ozone generator uses a rechargeable battery,  I can stick the whole thing in a plastic bag and close it with a twist tie.  Works like a charm.  The whole thing cost me about $50.  I Can use it on my machine too, but I have to do that separately from the mask.  I only do the machine once in while.

46 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Is that really all it is?

Well, with the Soclean you put the mask in to the machine, and rig up a hose to the CPAP inlet so it runs ozone through a closed loop.  But really, $300 for that, or $50 for tupperware and an ozone generator?  

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Off I go....I both look forward to strapping into this contraption....and horribly dread it at the same time.....it’s so confusing! 

...for PG-13 sake, do NOT go ANY further..........

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Well, with the Soclean you put the mask in to the machine, and rig up a hose to the CPAP inlet so it runs ozone through a closed loop.  But really, $300 for that, or $50 for tupperware and an ozone generator?  

thanks...you're 6 months LATE and I'm $300 bucks SHORT....................

...as I said earlier, a friend of my son's had apnea, did nothing about it and died of a heart attack in his sleep  at AGE 29......if you have it, don't mess with it....I upgraded my old machine to the new AirSep 10 with humdified water chamber...think it was about $950 and Excellus BCBS paid 80%......after six months, they will pay for new mask, water chamber, hoses etc again at 80%.....$200 bucks cost me $40......consider the pillow mack (Google CPAP pillow mask) if you have a problem with face mask which I did......

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...for PG-13 sake, do NOT go ANY further..........

thanks...you're 6 months LATE and I'm $300 bucks SHORT....................

You didn't ask.  

My nightstand was designed for better air filtration, too.  It's basically a clean box with a HEPA filter built in.  The filters on CPAP devices are usually too small to do a good job - for proper high-efficiency air filtration, you want a high-volume low-pressure system.  

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...as I said earlier, a friend of my son's had apnea, did nothing about it and died of a heart attack in his sleep  at AGE 29......if you have it, don't mess with it....I upgraded my old machine to the new AirSep 10 with humdified water chamber...think it was about $950 and Excellus BCBS paid 80%......after six months, they will pay for new mask, water chamber, hoses etc again at 80%.....$200 bucks cost me $40......consider the pillow mack (Google CPAP pillow mask) if you have a problem with face mask which I did......

Pillow mask annoys the hell out of me.  

Really, masks are a highly individualistic decision.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Rub some dirt on it! As long as the lamp isn’t knocked over and the dog’s sleep isn’t disturbed, all is well! 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Wait! What are these APAP or AirSep 10 things? I’d rather not have that leaf blower drying out my throat all night long if I don’t need it! If I put enough water in the reservoir to last all night it gets into the hose and gurgles like I’m drowning! 

2 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Personally, I was prescribed the CPAP by Dr. Wife as well, Augie, lol.  When I am awake and SHE starts snoring, I always wake her up, suggesting she get a sleep study lol...

I have been using mine for a few years, with a "nasal pillow".  My old CPAP was just forced air 100% of the time, but the newer ones are APAP, and seem to be more intelligent about how much air to push and when. 

I’m VERY interested in knowing more about this! 

58 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You didn't ask.  

My nightstand was designed for better air filtration, too.  It's basically a clean box with a HEPA filter built in.  The filters on CPAP devices are usually too small to do a good job - for proper high-efficiency air filtration, you want a high-volume low-pressure system.  

Pillow mask annoys the hell out of me.  

Really, masks are a highly individualistic decision.

....perhaps consider a hefty bag??......you are a difficult SOB......

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....perhaps consider a hefty bag??......you are a difficult SOB......

No kidding...they heat my face.  They force air directly in to my sinus cavities, and warm my face up to the point that I can't sleep.

I know, it's ***** weird.  But it is what it is.