Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins?

Less thrilled with Gabriel G and his solo work as I age. 

best G song ever is Dance on a Volcano, good fun figuring it out on my own for many years as a crummy drummer.

Phil’s later G and solo gains in enjoyment as time passes.

my Lord of the Rings, punk rock days are over...

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Peter Gabriel was far better as the lead singer of Genesis.

The band went downhill with captain commercial as the lead.

I think I can agree with this.

Some of the Genesis songs with Phil Collins are just cheesy and terrible songs.  The "I Can't Dance" song I think is just terrible.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Peter Gabriel was far better as the lead singer of Genesis.

The band went downhill with captain commercial as the lead.

Wasn’t thrilled with most of Lamb at the time, first 3 “Phil” albums were mainly written by Banks and Rutherford finally allowed to get flowing. They are excellent.

phil couldn’t drum and sing these songs so they hired Bill Bruford for first year tours.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm in the Collins boat, but my favorite song of theirs may be a Gabriel one.  Really dig The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. 

I'm just not into the progressive rock that much and Collins had a more mainstream sound when he took over.

33 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Two eras of Genesis, both unique, the latter being commercially successful beyond belief.

I'll take Gabriel's Genesis everyday of the week. 

No no no. :D

between Gabriel and Phil’s pop dreams was a third era of Rutherford/Banks writing with Phil singing.

it deserves its own recognition and is a bit below the best of Gabriel’s work

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who was the better lead for Genesis?

Genesis IS 5 members led by Gabriel. The Collins trio is decent pop but not real Genesis.

Journey is another group, started as a progressive jazz rock offshoot of Santana, then wimped out to the Steve Perry led "Open Arms" mom band.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Genesis IS 5 members led by Gabriel. The Collins trio is decent pop but not real Genesis.

Journey is another group, started as a progressive jazz rock offshoot of Santana, then wimped out to the Steve Perry led "Open Arms" mom band.

Gabriel was the man. Yes he had a much more darker and introspective sound, but that was his trademark...progressive rock wasnt intended to be a cheery top 40 sound.