Steve Rhodes or Jefferson D'Arcy?

Steve or Jefferson?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better character?

• Steve
    • Jefferson

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Ted was on so many shows after they got stale.

On the old Jump the Shark site (I miss the good old days of the internet), he was actually listed as their patron saint because he was always popping up on shows that were in decline.

Ted was funny on Married, but Steve’s deadpan delivery was the best.  Plus the show was fresher in the early years.

No contest IMO.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

On the old Jump the Shark site (I miss the good old days of the internet), he was actually listed as their patron saint because he was always popping up on shows that were in decline.

Ted was funny on Married, but Steve’s deadpan delivery was the best.  Plus the show was fresher in the early years.

No contest IMO.

Steve seasons were Sunday night must-see TV for me. About a year or so after he left, I stopped watching it, not because of him but like you said, it just wasn’t that fresh anymore.

19 hours ago, The Poojer said:

You've got it all backwards, Steve was there first then ran off to save and release and subsequently kill a turtle/tortoise.  Jefferson segued in after Steve was out of the picture, but did make an appearance or two later on(most famously as a chauffeur whom Marcy mistook as a wealthy person once again)

Your right, it's been a while since I watched the show, got the names mixed up. 

13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Agreed and Al is the real problem in this scenario as his wages would not allow him to be a home owner.  He'd be renting an apartment or a trailer.  I guess the best real world explanation for Al owning a home is he inherited the money or somebody bought him the house then left it to him.  Very little was said about Al family.  Al's father was depicted as being little better than him but smart enough to have life insurance it would seem.  I'm guessing that Steve and Marcy's combined income in 1986 would be around 70-75K and the homes in Al's neighborhood worth 65-85K.  When I was at Cornell around the same time guys with economics or finance degrees would get a job at an WNY area bank starting out at 22,500 as a loan officer and max out in several years at 27-30K w/o promotion.  Dept head would most likely be in the high 30's and VP a few thousand above that.  If you wanted to do better than that then you went on for your MBA.  

But Al was also a high school football legend at Polk High......

They probably built the house and gave it to him after his legendary game........

What other expenses did he have?

He drove a Dodge that was paid for, peg never cooked and they had no food at home. I guess he had Nudie Bar expenses but not much else.....

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They probably built the house and gave it to him after his legendary game........

He drove a Dodge that was paid for, peg never cooked and they had no food at home. I guess he had Nudie Bar expenses but not much else.....

Maybe in Texas but not Chicago and especially not in a non-rich district.  Al would have had property taxes and utilities to pay.  Most likely had an insurance policy on the house and for sure if he was carrying a mortgage.  Even if he only put 10 bucks worth of gas in the Dodge per week that's 500 bucks for 50 weeks.  Peg's shopping (Frederick's of Hollywood and so forth) and bon bon's, Bud's blow up doll, and Kelly stealing from daddy's wallet probably amounted to 80-100 buck's per week.  Federal minimum wage in the early days of the show was 3.35 per hour and that is probably what he made.  I know it's just a television show and not real life but to me Al had to have caught some kind of break which people in real life get.  Even if the house was paid for he most likely was spending in excess of what he was making.  But again it is only a TV show.  If Gilligan can keep the other castaway's marooned week after week then Al can have nudie bar money.  

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Maybe in Texas but not Chicago and especially not in a non-rich district.  Al would have had property taxes and utilities to pay.  Most likely had an insurance policy on the house and for sure if he was carrying a mortgage.  Even if he only put 10 bucks worth of gas in the Dodge per week that's 500 bucks for 50 weeks.  Peg's shopping (Frederick's of Hollywood and so forth) and bon bon's, Bud's blow up doll, and Kelly stealing from daddy's wallet probably amounted to 80-100 buck's per week.  Federal minimum wage in the early days of the show was 3.35 per hour and that is probably what he made.  I know it's just a television show and not real life but to me Al had to have caught some kind of break which people in real life get.  Even if the house was paid for he most likely was spending in excess of what he was making.  But again it is only a TV show.  If Gilligan can keep the other castaway's marooned week after week then Al can have nudie bar money.  

And then there's all that cash he was always handing out to the entire family, even Buck.

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said: