Chris Brown: Josh in No Huddle is Dialed in

On 5/29/2019 at 11:53 AM, 1ManRaid said:

I could see a LOT of first downs to Beasley in a no-huddle, with how quickly he gets open and them supposedly wanting Josh to focus more on the short game.

Unless Allen DRAMATICALLY improves his short-intermediate route accuracy & his timing, I don't see this happening at all.

Last year he was all over the place in that regard. Passes may zip right over your head, slam into the ground way short (even though it might've been only a 5-8 yard slant route), fly behind the target, or come at you with such force that handling becomes an issue.

Timing, accuracy, touch, and field awareness were pretty glaring weaknesses last season, and it wasn't the WR talent or the O-line that was the problem in that regard.

Hopefully he'll improve this season, but I really, really don't see Allen as a no-huddle, type QB. You need a guy who can quickly get the ball out & on point, while also being able to observe his options if the primary route isn't there, make quick decisions, throw the ball away when necessary, be satisfied with picking up small chunks of yards (instead of trying to force downfield), and methodically marches down the field while waiting to pick apart the weak points in an opponent's defense.

Josh averaged the longest time before throwing the ball last year among all QB's (with Lamar Jackson being second). They were the only 2 QB's that averaged 3 seconds or more. One potentially good thing is his propensity to run the ball. On one hand, it can hurt that he's taking off too early & missing open looks/taking sacks, but on the other hand it can make him really dangerous in a no huddle if the opponent has to always scheme for him taking off for big gains.

Sorry, I'm at work & have come back to this post like 5 times...so it's definitely longer than intended. 

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Unless Allen DRAMATICALLY improves his short-intermediate route accuracy & his timing, I don't see this happening at all.

Last year he was all over the place in that regard. Passes may zip right over your head, slam into the ground way short (even though it might've been only a 5-8 yard slant route), fly behind the target, or come at you with such force that handling becomes an issue.

Timing, accuracy, touch, and field awareness were pretty glaring weaknesses last season, and it wasn't the WR talent or the O-line that was the problem in that regard.

Hopefully he'll improve this season, but I really, really don't see Allen as a no-huddle, type QB. You need a guy who can quickly get the ball out & on point, while also being able to observe his options if the primary route isn't there, make quick decisions, throw the ball away when necessary, be satisfied with picking up small chunks of yards (instead of trying to force downfield), and methodically marches down the field while waiting to pick apart the weak points in an opponent's defense.

Josh averaged the longest time before throwing the ball last year among all QB's (with Lamar Jackson being second). They were the only 2 QB's that averaged 3 seconds or more. One potentially good thing is his propensity to run the ball. On one hand, it can hurt that he's taking off too early & missing open looks/taking sacks, but on the other hand it can make him really dangerous in a no huddle if the opponent has to always scheme for him taking off for big gains.

Sorry, I'm at work & have come back to this post like 5 times...so it's definitely longer than intended. 

That’s because he was the 2nd fastest pressured QB and had to run to get away from it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Your observations about the deficiencies from his rookie season are exactly why the early reports from these sessions is so encouraging (it's precisely the no huddle situations he's excelling at most thus far); he's obviously spent a lot of time working on the areas he was most deficient in during the offseason, his foot/hips/shoulders placement mechanics in particular, and the other thread discussing the Chris Simms workout session/interview with him at the Adpro complex is very enlightening in this regard. All of this combined with the roster upgrades around him, especially at Oline and WR/TE, is why my optimism "cup doth brimmeth over.":)

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

On 5/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, wiskibreth said:

I'm glad the kid is showing progress, that's never a bad thing, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here.  It's OTAs for heaven's sake.

I'm just glad the reporters are safe from errant throws.