Chris Brown: Josh in No Huddle is Dialed in

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I remember them using it, here and there, like everyone else does.  I don't remember an all-out commitment to it like Jauron and Marrone's teams.

Oh yes.  Chip Kelly was implementing it as well for the Eagles and was successful at it (for a season) 

Moron just plain F'd it up.  

I argued this for 2 full seasons here.  

(don't let my membership date fool you)  

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/09/16/up-tempo-will-be-used-when-time-is-right/

https://thesportsdaily.com/2013/02/24/the-k-gun-offense-beyond-no-huddle/

Sep 15, 2013 - Who runs a no-huddle offense in the third quarter? ... Bills coach Doug Marrone had no qualms asking first-year quarterback E.J. Manuel to ...

I remember when the Bills played the Pats with Edwards as QB and they were running the no huddle.....I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

There would be like 7 seconds left on the playclock when we snapped the ball.  The Pats were able to make substitutions the whole time.  What kind of a no huddle is this?

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is one thing I have always suspected would start to come into the rotation given how smart he is and the student of the game type mentality.  Being smart is by no means a guarantee you can execute an effective no huddle, but it certainly helps.  At the end of the day, it will boil down to Josh ability to apply that intellect and study habits to effectively read defenses...and if he does it well, watch out.  

A guy like Allen in a no huddle with these guys around him could be a nightmare for defenses to cover.  Between his arm strength, his ability to run himself alone it will be tough...but add in a good run game with the RB's and revamped OL, and new receiving threats that put pressure deep, mid field and short...and yikes, no huddle could be a huge weapon for us.

I would also argue that we never had the right personnel groupings at key positions (Ok, mostly at QB) since Kelly retired, for that to even be a realistic long term consideration until now. As you said, Allen's existing skill set combined with IF he is able to apply his smarts to effectively reading D's on the fly, would be a more potent version of Peyton--because physically there's no comparison.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You lose $700 AND the bills win less than 7 games. (doesn't it have to be 7 to cash the over on 6.5?) 

I couldn't bet on the bills cause I get too hurt when they lose anyways... I don't need that lemon juice. 

More power to ya though- it does sound like a relatively safe bet. 

If Bills win 7 games...I win $500 (but lose $200 on the AFCC and SB bet)...so I would be up $300 still at that point.  If the Bills win 6 games (or less), then I am out $700.  But I am not sweating that...not like its that $5000 crazy bet against the Bills on the Vikings game lol.  Just means in the 2nd half to he season if its starting to look like Bills may not get to 7 wins for some reason, I will just stop playing fan duel the 2nd half of the year haha.

Now if Bills make the SB I win a bunch of money...and if they were to win that SB I would win a bunch more money for a total of over $16,000.  

Plus, I think us winning at least 7 games is about as close to a lock as you can get.  So I am not sweating it :)

31 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We need to see a big uptick in our points per game average--16.8 over the course of all of 2018. More offensive plays in theory would help this as well.   

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/4/18245002/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-wants-to-score-21-points-per-game-nfl-offseason-combine 

I did an analysis of all AFC playoff teams and said scoring 400 pts on year, or 25 ppg is a key indicator for playoff teams in AFC.  Here is the main body of a previous post.

Some food for thought:

1. The average total points scored for the season by all 2018 qualifying AFC Playoff teams was 442 total points or 28 ppg.  For perspective, the Bills scored 269 total points or 17 ppg in 2018.  In 2017 the Bills scored 302 total points or 19 ppg when they snuck in the back door of the playoffs.
  2. The average points surrendered for the season by all 2018 qualifying AFC Playoff teams was 337 total points or 21 ppg.   or perspective, the Bills surrendered 374 total points or 23.5 ppg in 2018.  In 2017 the Bills surrendered 359 total points or 22.5 ppg when they snuck in the back door of the playoffs.  Weird that they made playoffs with a negative scoring differential.
  3. While I can see Bills dropping points against in 2019 to the 21 ppg level with improved D in Yr 3 of system and better time of possession on offense, I am not sure Bills can increase scoring by 11 ppg in 2019.  The one playoff team that they could emulate would be Baltimore who scored at a 24.5 ppg rate.  Can the Bills score 400 points or 25 points per game in 2019?  They did in 2016 with Tyrod and Rex!
  4. In 2019 if Josh Allen throws 24 TDs and runs for 12 more TDs we are at 252 points.  Throw in 10 Rushing TDs for RBs and we are at 322 points 26 FGs (his Average) by House Money and we are at 400 Points scored even.  Anything else (ST returns or defensive Scores) is Gravy!
  5. Bills have to go 6-2 at home and 4-4 on road top have a shot at wild card in 2019.  They were 6-2 at home in 2017 but have not gone 4-4 on the road since 2014 when they beat Pats in Foxboro in last game of season when Brady was pulled after halftime.  This is the hard part.  Good teams can win on the road.

So to summarize in 2019 the Bills will make playoffs if they:

1. Go 10-6 on season.  The AFC North will be tough but PItt and CIN are in chaos.  The NFC East might be the softest division in NFC next year.  And we draw TN and DEN as our extra AFC Games and both are winnable.
  2. Score 400 or more points or > 25 PPG.  Offense improving by 8ppg
  3. Give up 335 points or less <21 PPG.  Defense improving by 2.5 ppg
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I remember when the Bills played the Pats with Edwards as QB and they were running the no huddle.....I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

There would be like 7 seconds left on the playclock when we snapped the ball.  The Pats were able to make substitutions the whole time.  What kind of a no huddle is this?

Yeah I remember some quote for DJ saying the no huddle doesn't necessarily mean fast?

So what was the point??

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If Bills win 7 games...I win $500 (but lose $200 on the AFCC and SB bet)...so I would be up $300 still at that point.  If the Bills win 6 games (or less), then I am out $700.  But I am not sweating that...not like its that $5000 crazy bet against the Bills on the Vikings game lol.  Just means in the 2nd half to he season if its starting to look like Bills may not get to 7 wins for some reason, I will just stop playing fan duel the 2nd half of the year haha.

Now if Bills make the SB I win a bunch of money...and if they were to win that SB I would win a bunch more money for a total of over $16,000.  

Plus, I think us winning at least 7 games is about as close to a lock as you can get.  So I am not sweating it :)

Alright you convinced me. DM me to tell me how to make a bet haha

24 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I get it. Nothing worse than a mindless sycophant who's collecting a paycheck to only tout the company line, day in and out. However, that's also why I linked earlier in the thread to Sal's piece about Allen's performance so far, because of the additional cites in Sal's article to other media members (who are not tied to the hip with OBD) all saying the same thing (concerning how good Allen's passes are), which gives Brownie's take on WGR today more credibility in this instance. Allen's either hitting his targets or he's not, and no one has said otherwise, that he's struggling with accuracy or the like. So isn't it great when propaganda accurately intersects with real life?   :beer: 

Oh yeah, I'm fine with the report itself, i'm just done with Brown... everytime I look at him I remember those crappy Bills Beat videos or whatever they were. :P

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well, for your sake I'll root for them to win the Superbowl. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

On WGR right now (OBL), Chris Brown says Allen looks incredibly sharp and on point especially in 2 minute drill work, wonders if Daboll will incorporate additional no huddle elements at different spots in games like the Pats are known to do, and Daboll is familiar with that also.

Would it be too much to ask for a renaissance of our no huddle offense, version 2.0? Josh seems to be a good candidate, and our improved D could be the key in being able to absorb increased minutes on the field? What say you?

Smart kid, scored higher on the wonderlic than Kelly. Don't see why not?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wiskibreth said:

I'm glad the kid is showing progress, that's never a bad thing, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here.  It's OTAs for heaven's sake.

...and its official, I can't have children....waaaamp---waaaaaaah

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Well, for your sake I'll root for them to win the Superbowl. ;)

Thanks!  Just looked at my bet tickets again...

Its 60-1 on AFCC game win and 125-1 on SB win.  So with my 2 $100 bets on each, I would actually hit $18,500 if they hit plus the $500 from the over 6.5 wins bet for a total of $19,000 actually, not $16,000.  Made the bet last month, so forgot what the actual odds were.