Favorite Summer Vacation Spot?

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thanks, Augs!

Fergy has been telling me to see "The Book of Mormon" for years.  The only "show" we've ever been to has been the Blue Man Group (last year).  Will try to catch Mormon this year and keep Mockingbird on the list for next.  He just read the book in his English class.

I’ve heard Book of Mormon is hysterical. I’ve also heard it’s like a Daniel Tosh show.  It’s a lot of work to offend every possible class of human on the planet.  Saw Tosh live for something to do, and he apologized for the price of tickets “you can’t say this %$@& in front of people who can only afford $8/seat! That wouldn’t be safe at all!”

For me, it’s Newport, RI.

Used to be Cape Cod, til all my friends and family grew old, and I realized I didn’t need a big beach house that slept 20 or more.

Except for the 7 years I lived in California - didn’t need a vacation.  Life was a vacation!

8 hours ago, T&C said:

Don't remember any flies and I probably went there 12 years in a row... there was no screen. You must have gone there at a different time of the year.

Moving on..  the Smokey Mountains is another place that is nice to go to, just beautiful... peaceful. The little creeks are a bonus here.

Ever been to Biltmore?  It's especially beautiful at Christmas.  Drove across the Smokies to get there.  I understand that the parkway across the Smokies is bumper to bumper around Mother's day due to people driving to see all the wild plants & flowers in bloom.

11 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I know it's the Comet but I remember it with those screens on the front car, to cut through the freakin flies.  No screens, not the same Comet to me.

I watched that video, I do not remember any water slide at Crystal beach..maybe that came post 76 or so..prolly last time i was there.

I too do not remember any screens on the Comet

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I watched that video, I do not remember any water slide at Crystal beach..maybe that came post 76 or so..prolly last time i was there.

I don't remember a water slide either but I last went around the last time you went so yeah it was after. Actually, at that time I was working as an attendant on the waterslide at Snyders Darien Lakes, back when all they had was that and paddleboats.

14 hours ago, T&C said:

Ok.

Decent look at what it was... this was our big trip/outing in the summer in the 60's, could not wait for that day... it was magical back then to us kids. I will ride that Comet again lol.

Crystal Beach had really changed from the late 60's to when this was filmed.   Looks like the Wild Mouse was gone when this was taken.

4 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Ever been to Biltmore?  It's especially beautiful at Christmas.  Drove across the Smokies to get there.  I understand that the parkway across the Smokies is bumper to bumper around Mother's day due to people driving to see all the wild plants & flowers in bloom.

Never been to that one, but have been to the Bellevue Biltmore before they tore most of it down. That was a damn shame.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

It was  on the first car, like a windshield, but with screen fabric.  Verry useful, especially if you rode after dark.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I don't remember a water slide either but I last went around the last time you went so yeah it was after. Actually, at that time I was working as an attendant on the waterslide at Snyders Darien Lakes, back when all they had was that and paddleboats.

I don’t remember how long the water slides were in the park, but weren’t they in the spot where the wild mouse was?

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t remember how long the water slides were in the park, but weren’t they in the spot where the wild mouse was?

If you're talking Crystal Beach I have no idea, they were put in after I last went in the mid to late 70's.

If mentioning Snyders I don't know, I left in 78 for the Army.