Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

On April 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM, JohnC said:

Messier also departed. My point is that for a lot of these high profile departures the underlying cause was due to financial considerations. The Jack situation is completely different. As the captain he is invested in the team and is very happy with the coach he is playing for. Although he has understandably expressed his frustration at how the team has performed he has never indicated a desire to leave. 

As a fan base we are simply lucky Eichel has taken this approach.  It speaks well of him but it is simply luck he is loyal to a fault in the face of Botts continued ineptitude.  It looks like he will be around after Botts is given the boot even if it has taken far too long for that to happen.

Attached is a column by Jourdan LaBarber from Sabres.com on Dylan Cozens. This link was taken from the hockey side of TBD. Within the column is a 6 minute attachment of a Cozens interview, including clips, with Rob Ray. It is very probable that he will make the Sabre roster next season. He and Kahun should be two good youthful additions. Will Tage and Mittelstadt be on the roster and contribute? I don't know. For both of these players offseason preparation during a coronavirus challenge could be the difference in making the club and being effective.  

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-prospects-rewind-dylan-cozens/c-316649574

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't see next season being a normal business environment for any of the Pegulas' sports teams and hospitality businesses. Too many people are counting on a vaccine to be a miracle panacea to this health nightmare. We currently have flu vaccines that can mitigate the normal type of flu during the flu season. But this virus is demonstrably different because it is so contagious and debilitating compared to the regular seasonal flu. Because of the anti-vaccine no-nothing ignoramuses there will be enough unprotected people to expose others and again possibly exponentially spread the virus.

I hope that I am wrong in this pessimistic assessment. But how many people for the upcoming season in any of the sports would want their elderly family members to attend a game with them and be in a crowd of 68,000 people? And how many parents would want to have their children with them at any of the pro games at the risk of exposure?  

Remember all the cavalier talk about the Pegulas being the main source for the financing of a new football stadium. Not only are the financial resources of the Pegula business empire being stretched but so will the local government/s be in a dire financial crunch situation for quite some time. 

Edited by JohnC

On 4/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, May Day 10 said:

The Gretzky trade had a bunch of factors, none of which exist with the Sabres/Eichel situation.

St. Louis gave up next to nothing in that trade.

Oh wait, you mean that other trade...

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Another story on PSE and a Q&A with Kim Pegula. 

If you don't have an athletic subscription I believe they are offering a free 90 day trial. 

Oh my, Kim was on full blast on some of these execs no? Wonder WTF happened when she says they were wrong to keep some of the execs and that they trusted people and made descions on information that was wrong and not in the best interests of the team.

I would have thought both parties would have signed non disparagement clauses in a separation agreement..maybe only the execs had to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Man, I wish they’d allow fans to access the coaching presentations. I’d even pay to subscribe. 

well,you can pay me and I will will give you Teddy's

" play hard, be relentess, never back down, be a Bword to play agaisnt and remember to have the best goalie in history"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well,you can pay me and I will will give you Teddy's

" play hard, be relentess, never back down, be a Bword to play agaisnt and remember to have the best goalie in history"

I hope that in the presentation on the penalty kill the Buffalo staff listened closely and took notes.

Even with some talent gaps a little better goal tending and penalty kill could have added maybe 8 points to the count. 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, BillsFan4 said:

Another story on PSE and a Q&A with Kim Pegula. 

If you don't have an athletic subscription I believe they are offering a free 90 day trial. 

This isn't an "answerable" question, but, why wasn't she asked about the "lifestyle"  comments that Timmah put in his article?  Doesn't it seem that would be the first thing you'd want her to comment on?  Unless of course you don't want to give the family a chance to refute it.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Oh my, Kim was on full blast on some of these execs no? Wonder WTF happened when she says they were wrong to keep some of the execs and that they trusted people and made descions on information that was wrong and not in the best interests of the team.

I would have thought both parties would have signed non disparagement clauses in a separation agreement..maybe only the execs had to do that.

She didn't point any finger directly.  Seems like a very general statement to me.  How do you feel about anonymous sources on the other side? I'd much rather get someone's honest opinion, with their name attached.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

This isn't an "answerable" question, but, why wasn't she asked about the "lifestyle"  comments that Timmah put in his article?  Doesn't it seem that would be the first thing you'd want her to comment on?  Unless of course you don't want to give the family a chance to refute it.

She didn't point any finger directly.  Seems like a very general statement to me.  How do you feel about anonymous sources on the other side? I'd much rather get someone's honest opinion, with their name attached.

great point on the "lifestyle" comments..arguing with my nephews that was a general statement for everyone in the organiztion...in other words we have to have a plan and execute it successfully for us "all" to maintain our lifestyles.Like in any company.

And yep, said in the thread on the TSW..not expecting folks just let go " with cause, in other words just not form the Covid, to be singing the Pegulas praises.

I put them on blast for their decision to not pay gameday folks...but this is a different story altogther...(this is a different story said by everone in this thread right now)

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a 14 min WGR Instigator segment with Will Borgen. There isn't anything new revealed in this interview other than it is reinforced that he is a defensive defenseman. It is very likely that he would be moved up to the NHL if a defenseman such as Risto was traded for a forward. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-28-sabres-defenseman-will-borgen

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/04/28/mcdonough-calls-time-with-blackhawks-ride-of-a-lifetime/

Blackhawks fired team president John McDonough.

McDonough was president of baseball’s Chicago Cubs before he was hired by Wirtz in 2007. McDonough’s arrival was a key moment in the Blackhawks’ climb from one of the worst franchises in sports to the top of the NHL.

McDonough helped revamp the team’s business operations while star forwards Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane powered Chicago to the Stanley Cup title in 2010, 2013 and 2015. While the business side of the franchise remains in good shape, the Blackhawks haven’t made the playoffs since 2017.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/04/27/blackhawks-fire-team-president-mcdonough-in-surprising-move/

The Chicago Blackhawks fired team president John McDonough on Monday, cutting ties with a key figure in the most successful decade in team history and raising questions about the direction of one of the NHL’s marquee franchises.

The 66-year-old McDonough is one of the most respected figures in sports business. He was president of baseball’s Chicago Cubs before he was hired by Rocky Wirtz in 2007 to take over the Blackhawks.

McDonough was a big factor in Chicago’s rise to the top tier of the NHL on and off the ice. The team has an active sellout streak of 531 games. The organization is well known for its fan experience and marketing abilities, one reason why it has been a regular participant in the NHL’s outdoor games.

”Thirteen years ago, I recruited John to the Blackhawks because of his leadership, direction and vision. John brought all of that to the table and more,” Rocky Wirtz said. ”His contributions went well beyond leading the team to three Stanley Cup championships. He rebuilt the front office and helped guide the organization toward a winning vision.

”As difficult as this is, we believe it was the right decision for the future of the organization and its fans.”

Go get him!  lol

Edited by BillsFan4