Ranking AFC Playoff Hopefuls P1

56 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm hoping that they're competitive in every game.  You're going to lose games to teams you should beat (especially with a young QB), but I'd love to take at least one from NE, Philly, Pitt, or Cleveland.

When the Bills finallyyyyyy made the playoffs in 2017 it was because they got (finally) three big wins ATL, OAK, & KC which were all games before the season most people had as losses minus OAK which maybe was a toss up but still a game we typically lost. I agree they will probably lose a game or two they shouldn't due to youth, but if their goal is playoffs they have to beat at least two of NE 2x, PHI, PIT, CLE, & DAL especially one of the AFC guys.

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

When the Bills finallyyyyyy made the playoffs in 2017 it was because they got (finally) three big wins ATL, OAK, & KC which were all games before the season most people had as losses minus OAK which maybe was a toss up but still a game we typically lost. I agree they will probably lose a game or two they shouldn't due to youth, but if their goal is playoffs they have to beat at least two of NE 2x, PHI, PIT, CLE, & DAL especially one of the AFC guys.

the Bills officially tried to tank the season, but Peterman or Peterson or whatever was so rancid they had to put Tyrod back in

as a strategy this seemed flimsy to make the playoffs at first

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Just comparing to last year, the games that are different are:

Last year:

Chargers - good

Vikings - meh

Packers - meh

Texans - meh

Colts - good

Bears - good

Jaguars - bad

Lions - bad

This year:

Giants - bad

Cowboys - good

Redskins - bad

Eagles - good

Browns - good

Steelers - good

Bengals - bad

Broncos - meh

I think one of the Giants/Bengals will end up being more competitive than people expect, but either way, I think this year's slate is at least on par with last year's, if not more difficult. Jets should obviously be improved as well (while the Dolphins should be worse).

Last year's schedule looked more difficult when it came out than this year's does, but the Jags, Vikings, and Packers were all pretty big disappointments. That could obviously happen this year too, but for now at least, I think this year's slate looks to be on par or stronger.

So I think the 2018 Texans will prove better than the 2019 Steelers. Equally I think the Broncos will  be about on a par with last year's Lions. I'd say both are meh. 

Equally the games that are the same.... I think the Dolphins will be a lot worse and the Ravens and Titans a bit worse. 

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the Bills officially tried to tank the season, but Peterman or Peterson or whatever was so rancid they had to put Tyrod back in

as a strategy this seemed flimsy to make the playoffs at first

I mean my point was merely in that season they won some big games we otherwise never win. If this team has any hope of the post-season they need to beat opponents we will mark down as L's before the season begins.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, MJS said:

I get it. But we've seen great rookie seasons in the past. RGIII, Dak Prescott, etc. All options are still on the table.

I watched quite a bit of Mayfield last season, and he was infinitely better than either Griffin or Prescott.   Mayfield sparked that Cleveland team much like Allen sparked the Bills -- and he's way ahead of Allen as an NFL passer.

20 hours ago, corta765 said:

They lost a ton of talent on defense which has been their hallmark, their skill position players are incredibly weak minus TE, and their QB (who I do like) is going to be asked/forced to pass more something he did not excel at. They have a solid program but they have legitimate questions and look a decisive 3rd in that division.

They also don't have Ozzie Newsome as their GM any more (he retired).  That may be their biggest loss.

18 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Browns are somehow the favourite of fans who think sugar plum fairy whim wishes are so important that everyone should have to listen and agree with them... :(

And Bills fans who think the Bills are likely to make the playoffs are any different?   Cleveland was a better team last season even with all the turmoil on the coaching staff.  With better coaching early on, they probably would have won 9 games.  As it was they finished 7-8-1 with 2 or 3 heart breaking losses IIRC.

18 hours ago, Chicharito said:

The patriots are not winning the division this year! It’s ours, the tables have turned be excited boys!

How many times have we heard this line since 2000?  It only happened twice -- in 2002 and in 2008.  Along with the annual predictions that "this will be the year Brady crashes and burns", I'll believe it  when it actually happens.

Edited by SoTier

23 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm not ready to consider the Browns a serious contender. They get the hype from everyone, but I don't think they've earned it yet.

There have been plenty of times we've seen teams hyped in the off season only to see them struggle when games start. Last off season everyone considered the Jags a Superbowl contender and they fell flat on their faces.

23 hours ago, corta765 said:

Mayfield just broke the rookie QB passing TD record. The list of QBs he passed is pretty freakin elite. I agree with generally not buying the hype but because of him leading that train I will for this time.

23 hours ago, MJS said:

I get it. But we've seen great rookie seasons in the past. RGIII, Dak Prescott, etc. All options are still on the table.

MJ, I respect the heck out of you, but I disagree in this instance.

I actually believe in my vulnerable football heart of hearts that cries itself to sleep at night while eating chicken fingers...hot, that if they had started Mayfield from the get go I think they would have won the division.  I am also not just basing that on the first two games, but rather how he maybe would have progressed over the season.  Maybe they also would have locked it up before the end of the season if Hue had been fired a little earlier.

Since then I believe they have only gotten better and the draft will fill in some holes that makes an extremely interesting team at a number of different positions, that much better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:13 AM, corta765 said:

Strong Contenders:

LA Chargers

Cleveland Browns   Buffalo Bills

The Chargers return a great roster and the only pitfall they have would be Rivers getting injured but even then Tyrod can maintain the offense. Honestly Cleveland seems poised for one of those 13-3 seasons that completely reset's the franchise to a new orbit. The only flaw I see for Cleveland would be internal drama if they come out slow early in the seasons given the personalities they have. The other thing is both teams while strong locks need to prove they can do the playoffs something Cleveland hasn't done in forever and something LA has underachieved at many years before.

Playoff Hopefuls with a Flaw:

Buffalo Bills   Cleveland Browns 

NY Jets

Houston Texans 

Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

I made a few edits 

24 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I made a few edits 

your one of those who goes through life daydreaming that Cleveland Brown-types will some day rise to the top?

in 1,000 areas of life?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I made a few edits 

I could see that. Buffalo IMO is a bit further along then NYJ but I think Darnold is for real and will mask some of growing pains the rest of the roster will have as they gel. CLE I buy the hype for but I understand people wanting to see more first.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

your one of those who goes through life daydreaming that Cleveland Brown-types will some day rise to the top?

in 1,000 areas of life?

Oh hell no.  I'm not demented  The Browns will never rise to the top  

I'm just a Bills Homer 

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

I could see that. Buffalo IMO is a bit further along then NYJ but I think Darnold is for real and will mask some of growing pains the rest of the roster will have as they gel. CLE I buy the hype for but I understand people wanting to see more first.

Darnold needs to stop throwing INT's  (Fitzlike)  Gase couldn't do it in Miami whey should NJ be that much different? 

CLE .....   I love to rag on them because well because.     The "talent" versus" Diva personalities will make or break their season.  

Plus .....  longest current playoff drought in the NFL belongs to Cleveland Browns (2002 AFC Wild Card) 16 years