Trump and Vaccines: Your stance?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do vaccines cause autism?

• Yes.
    • No.

19 hours ago, DC Tom said:

"I'm okay with epidemics, because I'd rather get sick." 

That is the stupidest take ever.

Only I know I won't get sick. And my "take" is, if I haven't been clear enough, I absolutely hate having safety and security override personal sovereignty. I respect your opinion if you think it's stupid. Not patronizing I really do. I myself, am way more frightened of government having the right to say what I can do with my own body. They scare the population with an event like this to set the precedent of having control over our very being. Shite, don't they have enough control of everything else we do? Now people are more than willing, in fact, passionate enough to be downright rude, to give up freedom.  If this makes me a moron, brain dead than so be it. 

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Only I know I won't get sick. And my "take" is, if I haven't been clear enough, I absolutely hate having safety and security override personal sovereignty. I respect your opinion if you think it's stupid. Not patronizing I really do. I myself, am way more frightened of government having the right to say what I can do with my own body. They scare the population with an event like this to set the precedent of having control over our very being. Shite, don't they have enough control of everything else we do? Now people are more than willing, in fact, passionate enough to be downright rude, to give up freedom.  If this makes me a moron, brain dead than so be it. 

You are so against the government telling you what you can or can't do that you are going to let them tell you that you can't go out in public?

3 hours ago, Dante said:

Yes, the old question of individual freedom vs. public good.

And I come down on the public good in this case, for the simple reason that vaccination is a non-exclusive use service that we all benefit equally from: everyone derives the same benefit from preventing epidemics of "not getting sick."  

Furthermore, measles has only one natural host: people.  There is no reservoir host.  If you eliminate it in people, it is gone, permanently.  It's one of the few diseases, like smallpox or polio, that we can actually make completely extinct through the simple, inexpensive practice of vaccination.

So yeah, I'm fine with requiring, even compelling, vaccination.  Because...well, let me put it this way: no one's been compelled to get a smallpox innoculation in 40 years.

15 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Trump showing off his PhD in stupid yesterday.

“They say the [windmill] noise causes cancer."

Windmill noise cancer is something I'd expect from the Q crowd. 

Yeah, but they predicted it years ago before windmills and cancer even existed. 

1 hour ago, BigMcD said:

Yeah, but they predicted it years ago before windmills and cancer even existed. 

Q said “wind” in a drop on April 4 2017. 

Yesterday was 17*pi^e days since that post. Coincidence?

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Avengers: Endgame viewers exposed to measles.

Dammit, people...get vaccinated.

Here's the thing my wife and I were talking about.  When did people stop vaccinating?  I know you're not necessarily saying this but if this person was in a late night movie she was likely of the age when everyone was getting vaccinated.  My question is how many of these people with measles came here from countries that don't require vaccinations?

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

My question is how many of these people with measles came here from countries that don't require vaccinations?

Used to be "all of them."  The epidemiological definition of "eradicated" is "no longer endemic in the described area."  Even though the US has seen measles cases since it was eradicated in 2002 (in North and South America), all those cases have been imported directly or transmitted from imported cases.

That eradication lasted all of 12 years or so, because people are stupid.  Now measles is certainly endemic to the US again, as well as Central America.  It almost certainly came back to the Americas from Central Africa, probably Somalia (given historical vaccination and refugee patterns).