The "National Emergency" Thread

Tiberius

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

It should be the point.  Why is the President prohibited from rescinding the previous DHS Secretary's memo.  DACA shouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

Either way the ruling is made, Trump temporarily gains but the country could lose. DACA has to be struck down and legislation needs to happen. The *****in dems had agreed to a deal and then backed off when a judge refused to let DACA be disbanded.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

It should be the point.  Why is the President prohibited from rescinding the previous DHS Secretary's memo.  DACA shouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

OK...now I get it, but you should know by now that the US government is no longer working for the good of its citizens. I’m curious as to whether historians have ever seen this before. 

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Either way the ruling is made, Trump temporarily gains but the country could lose. DACA has to be struck down and legislation needs to happen. The *****in dems had agreed to a deal and then backed off when a judge refused to let DACA be disbanded.

The truly frightening part is that if DACA is upheld, it means that presidents can permanently bind future administrations - even with dubious legality/constitutionality of the executive order/memo/policy/whatever.

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The truly frightening part is that if DACA is upheld, it means that presidents can permanently bind future administrations - even with dubious legality/constitutionality of the executive order/memo/policy/whatever.

That's what I meant by the country losing. We need the court to strike down DACA and then we'll be back where we were 2 years ago, with leverage to negotiate fair immigration reform.

Mexican National Guard Stopped, Turned Back Migrant Caravan Headed For US

by Jason Hopkins

Original Article

Mexican authorities stopped a caravan of about 2,000 migrants heading north for the United States, the latest action by their government to crack down on illegal immigration.In the southern Mexican city of Tapachula, a caravan of Central American, Caribbean, and African migrants embarked on foot for the U.S. on Saturday morning. After traveling for about 20 miles, however, they were greeted by hundreds of National Guardsmen and federal police blocking both sides of the highway, according to The Associated Press. 

24 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

And now in Oregon the euphemism is "resettlement". Would Fauxahontas approve of this term?

Gov. Brown answers Trump: Oregon will accept refugees
The Democratic governor said resettlement is a lifeline that America provides to the world’s most vulnerable refugees.

If I was shown a picture of that woman only I would guess know that she was a liberal 11 out of 10 times. Before becoming governor I'd guess that she was either a school teacher or social worker.

29 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

If I was shown a picture of that woman only I would guess know that she was a liberal 11 out of 10 times. Before becoming governor I'd guess that she was either a school teacher or social worker.

Well she is a switch hitter so I would guess know that should prequalify her as a liberal.

Also a career politician since 1991.