why a vet at the backup QB position is so important

dave mcbride

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, it's weird.

Because outside of this case, pretty much every player you can think of who is dumped by one team never gets another shot or stays on another roster. Weird. That never happens. Not even to good teams. Take the Super Bowl winners, for example. They've never dumped a guy and had him stick on another roster.

Yeah, um, no. There's no way to say "literally" that someone is the worst. Worst is a value judgment. An opinion.

You could probably, with enough grammatical and factual rejiggering, come up with a sentence that specified certain statistics in which he was the worst, but that sentence would have a ton less impact. Peterman shouldn't have been on the field, we now know. But sometimes you have to put a guy in game situations to be sure of that. And when the results come in, then you have more info to base a judgment on.

The final story of Peterman hasn't yet been written. He might end up surprising. Or not. We'll see as time passes.

As for criticizing the decision ... they've already admitted it was a mistake. The point has been made, by Beane himself, that he made a mistake by not bringing in Anderson earlier.

YeH, I’m pretty confident that a 5th round pick with a 32.5 qb rating will be the worst QBs to ever start multiple games in the nfl.  And I don’t even blame Peterman, who just isn’t physically good enough for the NFl.  It’s SM’s fault for putting him in That position.  

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

YeH, I’m pretty confident that a 5th round pick with a 32.5 qb rating will be the worst QBs to ever start multiple games in the nfl.  And I don’t even blame Peterman, who just isn’t physically good enough for the NFl.  It’s SM’s fault for putting him in That position.  

Gary Marangi just re-checked his 1976 season stats (the only season he started games; he started 7) and demands an apology from you. 35.3 percent completion percentage, 16 picks, 12 fumbles, 1.8 adjusted yards per attempt, and a 30.8 rating on 232 pass attempts. Peterman's was 30.7 this year, but at least he didn't fumble 12 times!

Edited by dave mcbride

That was why i was upset at the thoughts of the Bills (Bean in particular) trading away McCarron, he could have done at least as good as Anderson when put into a game & i'd say seeing as DA was out so long in concussion protocol AJ was probably a bit tougher than DA .

Not to mention that he knew the offense & "IF" the plan was to let Allen sit a while to watch & learn the game that could have been accomplished by sticking with AJ, also if it was taken into consideration how the stage was way to big for Peterman due to seeing that play out the year before i thought it was foolish to move on from AJ !

After the Peterman debacle AJ could have went in for a few games as to give Josh the time to watch a bit then insert him into the line up because AJ knew thats why he was there for & then became the mentor but i will say i am much happier that we have Barkley now i think he is a much better get !!

I just can't understand why these players that are so good in college can't get it going in the NFL it boggles my mind ?

I don't see the need to heap blame on Beane or McDermott for anything these past two seasons. They had a plan and that plan is on schedule. The only thing not according to plan was making the playoffs year 1. The results on the field are pretty irrelevant.

Now, next year and going forward is when results on the field start to matter. They got their culture built, their defense structured, found their QB, kicked out the high priced players that didn't fit, and fixed the cap. Now it's time to win.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

Well, the best analogy I can give is to consider a chef.

Say you are opening a fine dining restaurant and you hire a guy who went to a great culinary school. You interview him, and he has a great grasp of flavor profiles, building a menu, what's trendy in the culinary world, what's dated, what works well, what doesn't--and you can talk food with this guy for hours. He's green, but you like what you got. 

Now let's say the restaurant hasn't opened yet, so you work with him to build the menu. And wow! This guy GETS IT. You spend late nights going over the menu that you're creating together, talking concepts that other chefs (like McCaron) just don't get. He really blows you away with the way he instantly grasps that when you say "seasonal", you mean apples in the fall and fiddleheads in the spring. The more time that passes, the more you like him.

And what's best? He's there ALL the time. You show up at 6 because the range needs to be repaired, he's there working on the menu. You leave late because you were getting the blinds measured and he's there practicing his souffle.

Now you bring in the line chefs, and you watch him command the line. Are there bumps? Sure. He takes awhile to get his footing under him, but soon enough, everyone from the pastry chef to the sous chef is clicking with him. It looks good.

One last test before you open your doors--a soft debut for friends and family. And he KILLS IT.  Timing is perfect, dishes are on order, meat temps are spot on--everything is clicking. 

This is the point, right here, where Bills fans, in hindsight, think McBeane should have brought in an AppleBees chef JUST IN CASE something went wrong, so the restaurant could stay afloat. And this is the point where Bills fans think McDermott should have spent practice time getting that AppleBees chef up to snuff on the menu, instead of getting ready for opening night.

Now--we obviously know when the restaurant opened, Peterman took a ***** in the deep fryer and served it to the Queen of England. But the only one who should get blamed for that is Peterman. The restaurant owners did all they could.

The problem is that Chef Peterman had a debut the previous fall at a different farm-to-table hotspot in the warehouse district, subbing for the overly safe but still (mostly) mistake-free main chef who had been put on leave.  But while trying to fill an order for braised halibut with an arugula-pumpkin aioli and a side of roasted beets topped with caramelized fennel, he burned the kitchen down and almost killed everyone in the building. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 2/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, dave mcbride said:

After reading this, it boggles the mind that the Bills went into the season with no veteran experience at QB. Even though Hoyer doesn't play in the actual games, he does so much for the Patriots that can't be quantified. https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/11/super-bowl-devin-jason-mccourty-brian-hoyer-patriots-rams

Thank god Beane learned his lesson and signed up two guys with experience immediately after the season. 

As bad as Peterman was, I think the situation in 2013 was far worse.

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

As bad as Peterman was, I think the situation in 2013 was far worse.

Wrong again. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2018.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2013.htm

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The problem is that Chef Peterman had a debut the previous fall at a different farm-to-table hotspot in the warehouse district, subbing for the overly safe but still (mostly) mistake-free main chef who had been put on leave.  But while trying to fill an order for braised halibut with an arugula-pumpkin aioli and a side of roasted beets topped with caramelized fennel, he burned the kitchen down and almost killed everyone in the building. 

Farm to table is so in right now!!!