Article: A welcomed change: Josh Allen and the air raid offense- Nate Geary

One Buffalo

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Boom or bust.  They’re taking a chance and rolling the dice...high risk high reward.  

If they wanted to win 13-10 then they would have kept Tyrod and put all money into the defense.  They didn’t, they want more from the position.

...I really wanted you to say like a cannon.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FAKE NEWS  ;)  :D 

Out of those 59 throws, Allen was on target 43 times. that sure does look a lot better than the 52.8% people keep ragging about 

So, if a defender was standing right in front of Zay Jones and Allen didn't see it and threw it and it was deflected or dropped by the defense but if it hadn't been deflected or dropped it might have been caught by Zay ... that's counted as on target in that analysis? A good throw?

And if a receiver was running a crossing route and had a step on the defender and the throw was behind him, allowing the defender to catch up and knock it away, that's a successful, accurate pass, right, as long as the receiver could have caught it if the defender had been a bit more considerate and not knocked it away? That's a success, right, an accurate pass? On target, according to these guidelines?

And this analysis is one we're supposed to take seriously?

Yeah, um, OK.

If we're going to use that definition of accuracy, they clearly aren't going far enough. They should also include INTs as accurate throws. Or at least they should do so if the ball would have possibly been caught if the defender hadn't been so impolite as to get in the way. Whether or not a throw is spectacularly dumb or not should have nothing to do with whether it's considered accurate.

When judging Josh Allen, plenty of his INTs should be considered accurate throws. Not when you're evaluating non-Buffalo QBs of course, but absolutely when you're looking at Allen.

Edited by Thurman#1

With Allen's ability to stretch the field vertically, it opens up the intermediate throws of 15-20 yards. I thought some of his best throws came on crossing routes at that distance (some drops come to mind there as well). His arm strength also makes those throws tougher to defend.

Improving the O-line, which will improve the running game and pass pro, will make this a very difficult offense to defend next year. Then there is his running...

A lot to be excited about.

16 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Meanwhile, the Patriots have quietly started beating people with their power running game and passes to halfbacks.

When you have Brady as your QB, it opens up the run. Doesn’t matter who they have at RB because Brady can slice up any team in the pass game so why stack the box? 

13 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Get him line help, a ram it between the tackles RB, a TE, and a top WR and were in business- not an easy feat but we have cap and picks to get some good pieces.

Ram it between the tackles RBs are dinosaurs.  Given his own ability to run, his still developing accuracy and the current NFL, a "Kamara" is a lot better fit than a "Bettis" in a backfield with Josh.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Ram it between the tackles RBs are dinosaurs.  Given his own ability to run, his still developing accuracy and the current NFL, a "Kamara" is a lot better fit than a "Bettis" in a backfield with Josh.

I respectfully disagree- just like people said defense doesnt win championships- see KC. Look, guys like Kamara and Bell are tough to come by- if you have a good line and always going 4-6 yards with breakin a big one here and there I think thats a good recipe.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, kickedface said:

a mike leach reference. WHERES THE TORTILLA QUOTE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

21 hours ago, Heitz said:

Where's The Senator!?  I figured a Leach reference would draw him out like a moth to the flames... ?

“At no level do I see how the Red Raider team is responsible for any tortillas being thrown.  We watch over them very carefully and, before they take the field, we ensure that none of them have tortillas.”

- Mike Leach, 2002, on being warned by officials about Texas Tech fans throwing tortillas on the field 

Somehow, when SDS made some changes to TSW, that great Leach quote was removed from under my avatar.  

Anyway, I was informed repeatedly on this forum that neither the Spread nor the Air Raid would EVER work in the NFL.  ?

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Here's the context in a nutshell: It takes two people to make a completion. All the QB can do is get it there, and as the above shows, he did that 72% of the time.

How dare you post anything that makes logical sense?  Durrrr uhh, completion errr percents errr Allen bad.  Durrrrrrrr