Week 16 Bills at Pats Postgame Postmortum

billsfan_34

NFL Week 16 Grades

New England 24-12 over Buffalo

Bills: D

The Bills went into Sunday's game with one of the best rushing defenses in football, but that's likely going to change after they got steamrolled by the Patriots. Buffalo surrendered 273 yards on the ground, marking just the second time in five years that a team has rushed for more than 270 yards on them. Of course, it wasn't just the Bills defense that was bad; everyone seemed to be struggling for the Bills. Josh Allen threw two interceptions, tight end Jason Croom lost a fumble and Stephen Hauschka even missed a 43-yard field goal.

Patriots: B

Losing Josh Gordon might hurt the Patriots down the road, but it didn't hurt New England in this game, and that's because Bill Belichick decided run the ball down the Buffalo's throat. Led by Sony Michele's 116 yards, the Patriots totaled 273 yards on the ground, which was the team's highest rushing total ever with Tom Brady under center and the team's second-highest total under Belichick. The Patriots had four players rush for more than 35 yards, with Rex Burkhead (39), James White (41) and Cordarrelle Patterson (66) all joining Michele. It's a good news the Patriots running game was working, because Brady was off. The Patriots quarterback threw two interceptions and finished with just 126 yards passing.

Kyle Williams: "It Comes Down to Execution." (1:33)

Bills Defensive Tackle Kyle Williams talks to reporters about the team's lack of execution as well as some plays the Bills had some difficulty stopping.

LeSean McCoy: We Didn't Capitalize Today." (3:21)

Bills Running Back LeSean McCoy talks to reporters about some of the opportunities the Bills had in today's contest against the Patriots as well as some projections regarding his current workload.

Bills Today: Bills Could ‘Feel’ Lorenzo Alexander’s Impact

gyoknyvsb5tz9kvwfs1d.jpg

Biggest frustration for me is that the guys around Josh on offense came out flat. Other teams play the Pats or a hated division rival and they come out with extra fire and grit. These guys on offense looked like they were going through the motions. Very disappointing. Poor effort.

The Buffalo Bills had an all-too-familiar result in Week 16 against the New England Patriots.

Rookie quarterback Josh Allen instilled a little bit of optimism in the team’s fan base heading into this one, but it was still the same old type of result we’re used to, a 24-12 win for the Patriots.

Allen certainly made an impact on the game, but he wasn’t alone.

With that, here’s this week’s stock up, stock down for Buffalo after their loss to New England:

Stock Up

RB Keith Ford

WR Robert Foster

TE Jason Croom

S Jordan Poyer

Stock Down

QB Josh Allen

WR Isaiah McKenzie

P Matt Darr

OG Wyatt Teller

TE Charles Clay/ RB LeSean McCoy

Front-seven run defense

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Buffalo Bills had an all-too-familiar result in Week 16 against the New England Patriots.

Rookie quarterback Josh Allen instilled a little bit of optimism in the team’s fan base heading into this one, but it was still the same old type of result we’re used to, a 24-12 win for the Patriots.

Allen certainly made an impact on the game, but he wasn’t alone.

With that, here’s this week’s stock up, stock down for Buffalo after their loss to New England:

Stock Up

RB Keith Ford

WR Robert Foster

TE Jason Croom

S Jordan Poyer

Stock Down

QB Josh Allen

WR Isaiah McKenzie

P Matt Darr

OG Wyatt Teller

TE Charles Clay/ RB LeSean McCoy

Front-seven run defense

Whoever wrote that needs his eyes checked. Croom stock up?

16 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I have yet to openly criticize McDermitt but today he was awful. His players werent ready, the game plan was awful and he just doesnt have the pulse of the game and adjust. Furthermore, another piss poor outing ST wise yet Crossman is still here? 

Edmunds hasnt developed at all and today he had the worst day, imo, of his pro career.

Daboll called a terrible game - he doesnt have much to work with thou

Allen looked really bad at times- Draft another QB- not sold on this kid.

Kyles Mini Me does nothing for me, and KW looks like there is nothing left in the tank

Mckenzie just isnt an NFL WR and he scares me on Special Teams

Logan Thomas- dropped a sure TD

Say goodbye to Clay, Shady, KW, most of the OL, McKenzie, Alexander, Ford, Ivory and Hopefully Crossman.

I would just like to add Castillo and Croom to your say goodbye list.

16 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Sounds like you should catch the next patriots bandwagon that comes by

Your opinion is that if a fan doesn’t like the product on the field and is critical of it they should root for another team?

Is that what you’d do if you weren’t happy with the product? If so, you wouldn’t be much of a fan.

Another question, why are you okay with the product that’s been on the field the past 20 years and what would it take for you to become unhappy with it? Or are you just happy to have a team, any team, and that’s enough?

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I read Sal's take expecting to see a lot of Allen bashing and while it sort of went that way it's clear that he understands where the real problem lies going by these two quotes:

"he is surrounded with such incompetence on offense" and then describing the rest of the offense as "the slop around him".

It's true that Allen & the Bills did not seize the torch from Brady & the Patriots today.  But that day is coming once we clear the deadwood out. 

You may be right, I just don’t think the Bills can fill all of those holes in one offseason.  Next year will be better but I don’t think it’ll be a playoff caliber club still.

BUF-Bills-Header.png

While Allen topped 200 passing yards and threw a touchdown pass, a lot of his passing yards – and his touchdown – came late in the game during garbage time. Overall, Allen struggled against the Patriots, as he was inaccurate on a lot of his throws and also turned the ball over twice when he forced throws into tight coverage.

The Bills’ pass-catchers did not really help Allen on this afternoon. While the unit was also marred by a couple injuries, they also dropped multiple passes and failed to make contested catches in close coverage.

Bills edge defender Lorenzo Alexander had a solid outing, as he was all over the field against the Patriots. Alexander kept making plays against the run, as he also had success rushing the passer. In addition, he also picked off Brady in the second quarter.

With the exception of Alexander, the Buffalo edge defenders struggled on the afternoon, especially against the run. The Bills defenders couldn’t consistently set the edge on run defense, which proved to be costly against New England’s outside zone runs, a scheme the Patriots used frequently in this game.

Keys to the Game

Buffalo

Allen did not have a good enough day to beat the Patriots and was unable to provide a spark with his legs, either.

22 hours ago, MDH said:

Your opinion is that if a fan doesn’t like the product on the field and is critical of it they should root for another team?

Is that what you’d do if you weren’t happy with the product? If so, you wouldn’t be much of a fan.

Another question, why are you okay with the product that’s been on the field the past 20 years and what would it take for you to become unhappy with it? Or are you just happy to have a team, any team, and that’s enough?

THIS current team isnt a finished product. 

As ive said before- complaining about it is like getting worked up into a tizzy that the self portrait doesnt look like you after only the circle has been drawn. 

It wasnt a suprise week two, and it certainly shouldn't be now - this is simply a tread water year to see who will be a part of the team going forward. 

Find your base ( most of the D ), maybe find a diamond in the rough (foster?) And allow chanves for more to come to the surface (ie playing young guys) and MOST important - get Allen and Edmunds some experience in a low pressure year.

Check!

All this nonsense like the sky is falling garbage (and again, a little dramatic at that) is silly bc its q result if either not paying attention ooooorrrrrr totally unrealistic expectations. Either way, he did it to himself. 

If there isnt progress at the end of next year, ill be concerned. But for now anyone who talks like that is seriously better off choosing a different rooting interest bc they dont sound like a Bills fan. 

Of course the cookies are going to taste like crap if you try them after only the flour and eggs are mixed. I also wouldn't want them to be lumped in with the past 20 yrs of crappy cookies when there is a new chef. 

This has been explained numerous times by numerous posters - but yet we still get these gems with out of touch folks with a flair for the dramatic.

Ps - MERRY Christmas!!!

Edited by gobills1212

On 12/25/2018 at 9:45 AM, gobills1212 said:

THIS current team isnt a finished product. 

We’ve heard the “it’s not a finished product” and “have patience” lines for 20 years.

When a team fires it’s head coach every 3 years this is an auto built in excuse. These coaches come in and jettison the previous regime’s player and bring in their own and we get the same “have patience” or “what do you expect they’re rebuilding” rationaizations. At some point, whether it’s this regimes fault or not, those excuses fail to satisfy.

And I’m the last person here with a “touch for the dramatic”.  You don’t hear me bitching about posters or being too hard on the team or calling for players or be cut or coaches to

be fired.

I just don’t get those who get on other posters who, rightfully, have a reason to vent about the team.

26 minutes ago, MDH said:

We’ve heard the “it’s not a finished product” and “have patience” lines for 20 years.

When a team fires it’s head coach every 3 years this is an auto built in excuse. These coaches come in and jettison the previous regime’s player and bring in their own and we get the same “have patience” or “what do you expect they’re rebuilding” rationaizations. At some point, whether it’s this regimes fault or not, those excuses fail to satisfy.

And I’m the last person here with a “touch for the dramatic”.  You don’t hear me bitching about posters or being too hard on the team or calling for players or be cut or coaches to

be fired.

I just don’t get those who get on other posters who, rightfully, have a reason to vent about the team.

YOU werent who I was referring too. 

Apples and oranges, and if you are trying to convince me otherwise you're barking up the wrong tree. Its silly and lazy blaming 17 years on this regime. 

Once again, when the convo takes a hard left and ownership is being discussed as needing to be changed - anything worth while that could come out of it is shot. Again, a little dramatic. 

When I see a convo like this, the person generally is either a fairweather fan or isnt paying attention to whats really going on. As a result, posts like this occur. Simple as that.