Police Standards Are A Problem

The_Dude

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Individuals who don't evenly enforce the law don't deserve the respect afforded the duty.

It's no different than the likes of the Clintons living by different standards than they would impose on others.

Because i don't give warnings to plenty of other people too? 

Just now, The_Dude said:

Sir, you inability to follow logic does not reflect poorly upon me, but it says plenty about you. 

A soldier not facing UCMJ consequences for an illegal sexual act (*****) while another soldier is punished by the UCMJ for wearing white socks is inarguably “unequal enforcement of law.” 

No commander however is dumb enough or “ethical” enough (by your standards) to implement the law equally because that would be retarded. 

"Unequal enforcement of law" implies that we're talking about the same law or regulation, you muppet.

You've referenced two different laws being enforced differently.

I'll give you some help:  "different" and "same" are not synonyms.

Unequal enforcement would be if one person were punished, and one person not, for the same crime or infraction, by the same person.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

"Unequal enforcement of law" implies that we're talking about the same law or regulation, you muppet.

You've referenced two different laws being enforced differently.

I'll give you some help:  "different" and "same" are not synonyms.

Unequal enforcement would be if one person were punished, and one person not, for the same crime or infraction, by the same person.

Youre moving the goalposts.

Cops having to give cops tickets is a bad law. Why? Because cops know damn well that most of their traffic tickets are basically legalized racketeering. When the municipality needs money what do they do? Speed traps.

Further, what do you think would happen to you if you were a cop and you gave another cop a petty ticket? Duct taped to a basketball goal? Thrown in the dumpster? Alienate coworkers? 

Anways, I’m done. If you want to go against the grain, g’head. But it doesn’t often go well for people. 

My gripe with the police is they spend a ton of money on equipment and personnel but not enough on the training. 

Not only the lack of training but the lack of the proper training.

The lack of training leads to panic.    

When you hire lots of former military servicepeople, the lack of the proper training fails to override that incredible military training to neutralize a threat in the most decisive, fastest way possible.  

We had a rookie police officer, on patrol alone,  that shot an unarmed man five times despite having a baton, the spray AND a Taser at his disposal.  

While he was a rookie police officer, he was a veteran of two tours in Iraq.  In a moment of stress, that military training and combat experience automatically told him to draw that service weapon.  

Edited by dpberr

20 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Youre moving the goalposts.

You're an unmitigated moron who doesn't understand English.

Cops having to give cops tickets is a bad law. Why? Because cops know damn well that most of their traffic tickets are basically legalized racketeering. When the municipality needs money what do they do? Speed traps.

Further, what do you think would happen to you if you were a cop and you gave another cop a petty ticket? Duct taped to a basketball goal? Thrown in the dumpster? Alienate coworkers? 

Anways, I’m done. If you want to go against the grain, g’head. But it doesn’t often go well for people.

Another argument in favor of corruption and a two tiered justice system, this time including a reasoned exemption for racketeering.

Good grief.

29 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Because i don't give warnings to plenty of other people too? 

No, you don't.  You have different standards for different people based on their job or associations.  You arrest people in other fields for that exact same behavior.

30 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Correction: it shouldn't have anything to do with unequal enforcenemt.

As a practical matter it does, because too many people want laws - good and bad - amended or nullified by selective enforcement or non-enforcement.  See DACA, federal drug laws, etc.

And those people are idiots, I'm sure you'd agree.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, I would.  But you can't solve the problem by not acknowledging it - "doesn't" is fundamentally inequal to "shouldn't but does."

It's two separate problems.

I think the solution has to start with an open declaration that we are a nation of laws, and that the law must be enforced as it exists.

If the enforcement of the law is deemed unjust, then we should change the law such that we are a nation of laws rather than a nation of benevolent dictators living within their own carved out fiefdoms.

This needs to be addressed as an entirely separate issue from unequal or preferential enforcement.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

You're an unmitigated moron who doesn't understand English.

Another argument in favor of corruption and a two tiered justice system, this time including a reasoned exemption for racketeering.

Good grief.

No, you don't.  You have different standards for different people based on their job or associations.  You arrest people in other fields for that exact same behavior.

And those people are idiots, I'm sure you'd agree.

Uh... yes i do. I give warnings all of the time. It's called discretion.  And,  when it comes to non -criminal violations,  I am allowed to use it how I see fit.  That power is given to me both by my agency,  and by the legal system.  Do you *really* want cops to be heartless robots that write tickets for every single BS violation in the interest of the completely objective enforcement of law? Or, would you prefer that cops have hearts (admittedly,  some bigger than others) that have the power to dole out warnings?

I give warnings to cops, cops family, firemen, nurses, doctors, veterans, old ladies, guys who cry, and most people who get the point without a ticket.  I give tickets to jackasses, douchebags, and drunks.  

I'm not talking about arrestable offenses.  I thought i articulated that pretty well in my original post on this offshoot. 

Edit: if anyone in category A, shows themself to also be in category B during the course of the stop,  the warning goes out the window. 

Edited by Sig1Hunter

Slightly off the mark as far as the topic goes but there are ways of dealing with LE that makes the officer inclined to give a warning or a lessor charge. If it's a traffic stop do whatever it takes to make them feel not threatened. Have your license and insurance card out and in plain sight, with your hands on the top of the steering wheel. Give them the reason for giving you a break. Tell them you drive a lot in your job and can't take the points (because you were speeding). They're likely to cite you for something that doesn't give you points. Most likely the fine would be less too.

I once was stopped at 1:00am for speeding. It so happens that my last name was the same as the DA but I was not related to him. He asked me if I was related to him and I immediately knew I stood a 50/50 chance of getting a ticket. I told him that I didn't like to use his name and he smiled and told me to drive safely home. My sister on the other hand was stopped and asked the same question. She indignantly said something along the lines of "what difference does that make'? She got the ticket. Just treat them with respect and don't try to bs them (much).

36 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Uh... yes i do. I give warnings all of the time. It's called discretion.  And,  when it comes to non -criminal violations,  I am allowed to use it how I see fit.  That power is given to me both by my agency,  and by the legal system.  Do you *really* want cops to be heartless robots that write tickets for every single BS violation in the interest of the completely objective enforcement of law? Or, would you prefer that cops have hearts (admittedly,  some bigger than others) that have the power to dole out warnings?

I give warnings to cops, cops family, firemen, nurses, doctors, veterans, old ladies, guys who cry, and most people who get the point without a ticket.  I give tickets to jackasses, douchebags, and drunks.  

I'm not talking about arrestable offenses.  I thought i articulated that pretty well in my original post on this offshoot. 

Edit: if anyone in category A, shows themself to also be in category B during the course of the stop,  the warning goes out the window. 

This is fair, and I think we were talking past each other.

Just to give you a clear understanding of where I'm coming from on this:  I come from a family with a calling to service both in the military and as LEOs.

My younger brothers are both LEOS, two of my cousins are detectives, and my uncle is a Police Chief.  I have experienced, first hand, a different treatment because of what my last name is.  I know this phenomenon is real. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 3:53 PM, The_Dude said:

You constant need for Tammy’s approval is a bit gay.

You're the one in this thread obsessed with sucking schlong and you call someone else gay?

On 12/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, The_Dude said:

Did you know butt sex and blowjobs are punishable under the UCMJ? Let’s kick out every servicrmember guilty of plowing butt, and getting a hummer! Not only would it be ethical, but also practical. 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:07 AM, The_Dude said:

Nobody in LE is going to get in trouble for extending a little courtesy to their contemporaries, just as nobody in the military is going to get in trouble for getting a ***** despite both being against the law.

16 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Bout 6. 

The only way somebody gets charged with ***** or adultery under UCMJ is if they get caught in the act on duty at their post or if their actions are reported in the media bringing negative publicity

**s0domy is censored.  Really? :lol:

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

The only way somebody gets charged with ***** or adultery under UCMJ is if they get caught in the act on duty at their post or if their actions are reported in the media bringing negative publicity

Or if they're getting that buttsex or hummer from, dare I say, another Dude?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Or if they're getting that buttsex or hummer from, dare I say, another Dude?

Ha!

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

**s0domy is censored.  Really? :lol:

Yeah, it’s not really a thing. I’m well aware.