Where are you on the spectrum??

Dadonkadonk

9 hours ago, Steptide said:

To answer the original question, I'm in the cautiously optimistic crowd. I love Allen's fire. I can't remember the last qb we had who lost a game (on a 4-7 team) that looked like he had just lost the national championship game in college in his post game presser (speaking of Allen after the Miami loss this last Sunday). So yes I think there is something special there, but I'll contain my excitement for now. 

Did you catch Inside the NFL where they had Kiko miced up?  At the end of the game a very pissed off Allen shook Kiko's hand and said "see you in a few weeks".  But the way he said it was sort of nasty like I can't wait to get you guys up here to lay a butt whipping on you.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm very optimistic about Allen's future with the Bills.  But then again at halftime in Buffalo's 4th Super Bowl I thought the Bills had the Cowboys right where they wanted them and we all know how that turned out! 

Previous posters have pretty much hit on everything so I'll just throw out a couple of random observations:

*  If there is one thing Allen has shown us is his ability to learn & grow as a QB.  Pre-draft he took the initiative to obtain one on one coaching and significantly improved his footwork & mechanics.  And in spite of not getting the lions share of preseason snaps with the first team and then getting thrown to the wolves in the 2nd half of the Ravens game, the kid has clearly improved in every aspect of his game.  There is no reason to think he won't work his butt off in the off season and continue to improve by leaps & bounds.

*   Allen has shown that he can rehab and come back from a serious injury.  This is no small thing because over his career he's going to have to do this a few times. 

*  I disagree with folks about Allen's running.  I suspect this will remain a big part of his game because that's where the NFL is going.  If you think about it the NFL is NOT innovative.  They rely on college football to lead the way.  As an avid college football fan I continually see the NFL adopt collegiate offenses a few years after they've been shown to be effective.  I think the crazy passing numbers we're seeing out of a few teams are a clear sign that the NFL is adopting the run & gun spread offenses of college football.  In other words the NFL is becoming the Big 12.  And an important part of that game is a QB that can move the sticks on the ground.  With the rule changes protecting runners a savvy QB should be good for 700 - 800 yards rushing per season without increasing his injury risk.  As others have noted, Allen has taken a bigger beating in the pocket then he has running the ball. 

*  The poster RocCityRoller came up with the best description I've seen of Allen to date - he's our "baby Farve".   The POTENTIAL is there for him to be great but he's still in the early stages of his career and NOTHING is guaranteed. 

22 hours ago, stuvian said:

People compare him to Cam Newton but Cam Newton broke Peyton Manning's rookie passing records. I'll say Allen is Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan with wheels

Actually a pretty good comparison.  His above avg mobility will be a definite advantage. If he cleans up a few accuracy issues he can come in as a top 10 guy.

8 hours ago, technobot said:

Count me in the cautiously optimistic crowd.  I was fairly pessimistic post-draft, and during Allen's run pre-injury, Vikings game notwithstanding.  Flipped to optimism after the Dolphins game.

I really didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for in terms of "hope and progress", but I saw it in the Dolphins game.  I think if the ask was to watch Allen dink and dunk down the field with 5-10 yard lasers, Tom Brady style, then it was setting myself up for disappointment.  Perhaps he adds this to his game as he matures, but what I saw last Sunday was a playmaker.

He is gradually improving as a passer, at least that's what I saw.  Say what you want about running, but if it can be such a deadly component of Mahomes' game then why not Allen?  I realize Allen isn't the passer is Mahomes is, but the Bills don't have the roster the Chiefs do, either.  And as much as I want Allen to be "the best QB in Bills history, better than Kelly", I don't think this has to be the case.  If the front office can assemble a quality roster, they can still win with Allen as more of a complementary piece, instead of being "the guy".

Of course, if Allen hits his ceiling... look out, NFL.

Allen is quite a bit faster than Mahomes, but Mahomes is well ahead of him as a passer.

I think Mahomes is actually pretty slow.

Agree with everything else you stated.

Edited by LSHMEAB