Did the opening day QB (Peterman) influence WR Corps makeup?

ChicagoRic

I can understand the OP's intent here. I think with all three QB's (Peterman's lack of strength, Allen's accuracy and McCarron's lack of game) the FO thought that they needed some big bodied receivers with a large catch radius who could make contested catches and keep the chains moving. Unfortunately KB destroyed that, Holmes is a low end JAG and the speed guys weren't ready for primetime so we suffered through it and made adjustments. We will see how the new blood works. So far, so good.

3 hours ago, LTF said:

You are joking right? They could have had Mahomes in there and they were not going to score. The line could not block anyone. The receivers could not get any separation. That is why they made the changes to add speed to the receiver position and made changes to the line in the last few weeks.  Peterman got an F. The line got an F. The receivers got an F.  The offense was terrible with all three quarterbacks. Blaming a bad offense on a guy who started 2 games is rather ridiculous. They were historically bad all season. Not just 2 or 3 games that Peterman played.

Still not understanding it I see.

Sylvester-Stallone-Facepalm.gif

12 hours ago, MJS said:

The world does not revolve around Nathan Peterman (nor does this team).

You assume that because they recently mentioned speed in a press conference? So that means that the coaches and GM have NEVER discussed speed before? Really?

What strong deduction skills you have.

Why does McDermott need to "man up" in that situation? What's the logic? Allen struggled so they didn't think he was ready, which means he needs to "man up" and do what exactly? Start Allen anyway? Is that what a true man would do?

Isn't it obvious . The proof is there for u to see for a yr and half that whether or not they spoke about it they didn't add any speed until recently . This means it was not a proirity for them which is mind blowing.

8 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Isn't it obvious . The proof is there for u to see for a yr and half that whether or not they spoke about it they didn't add any speed until recently . This means it was not a proirity for them which is mind blowing.

It is not easy to add receivers when you have a rookie quarterback and a bad offensive line.  There are only a few good free agent wide receivers each year and they usually go where they be assured the quarterback throwing to them is experienced.  Who exactly could the Bills have added?  Everyone loves to criticize but they never have names of players the Bills should have signed.  Drafting a good wide receiver is not easy either unless you are prepared to use a number 1 draft pick.

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If any decision was made to accommodate Nate Peterman’s “skill set” that person (or persons) should be fired immediately.

No rational person thinks anyone in the Bills organization was making decisions based on a guy they had penciled in as their number 3 quarterback. If anyone gets fired it should be for going into the season with just a rookie and Peterman on the roster. I will give them a little break because they did shell out serious money to get McCarron to Buffalo. They didn't sign him for all that money with the intention of him being the number 3 quarterback. McCarron was supposed to hold the spot until Allen was ready. Peterman was either going to be the number 3 or cut. The original plan was rational.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LTF said:

No rational person thinks anyone in the Bills organization was making decisions based on a guy they had penciled in as their number 3 quarterback. If anyone gets fired it should be for going into the season with just a rookie and Peterman on the roster. I will give them a little break because they did shell out serious money to get McCarron to Buffalo. They didn't sign him for all that money with the intention of him being the number 3 quarterback. McCarron was supposed to hold the spot until Allen was ready. Peterman was either going to be the number 3 or cut. The original plan was rational.

The only thing that I disagree with is the money to McCarron. They paid him less than half of what guys like McCown got.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:27 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

When and where did they say that?

Do you actually have a link?

If that's true, I lost a little more respect for McDermott for not manning up early in training camp like he should have.

To @transplantbillsfan

It was in his press conference when he talks to

media during the week.  I watch them on Perisocpe.  He said it more than once.  It doesn’t bother me if people believe me or remember that, so I am not gonna spend my time watching them all back just to be validated.  

If you want to see it for yourself, then you know where to watch them.  This isn’t even a new thing discussed here, so sorry if it’s new info to everyone, but if you need “proof” then you guys can go watch the McD Pete conferences.  I don’t post false info, so I am not gonna waste time trying to find the exact one he discussed this.  I do believe it was during one of the weeks Allen was out when pressed about his decisions regarding NP and bringing DA in later.

Edited by Alphadawg7

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To @transplantbillsfan

It was in his press conference when he talks to

media during the week.  I watch them on Perisocpe.  He said it more than once.  It doesn’t bother me if people believe me or remember that, so I am not gonna spend my time watching them all back just to be validated.  

If you want to see it for yourself, then you know where to watch them.  This isn’t even a new thing discussed here, so sorry if it’s new info to everyone, but if you need “proof” then you guys can go watch the McD Pete conferences.  I don’t post false info, so I am not gonna waste time trying to find the exact one he discussed this.  I do believe it was during one of the weeks Allen was out when pressed about his decisions regarding NP and bringing DA in later.

You're bluffing or not accurately remembering what was said or interpreting the way something was said to mean something that wasn't directly said.

Sorry to put that so bluntly. You're a quality poster and I generally like your posting, but I followed those Summer PCs very closely and never heard or read any such comments. 

If they happened, you should easily be able to find a link because the media coverage by Joe B and Fairburn and such of comments like that would have been bananas.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, ChicagoRic said:

In short, did Peterman's weaker arm prompt the coaching staff to stick with big, possession-type receivers heading into the season?

My theory (really flimsy, but there you go) is that McDermott and Daboll thought that Peterman would be an effective game-manager type QB using short and intermediate routes and gave him the big, tall, receivers to fit that game plan.  

Clearly, it did not work out that way, but you gotta wonder....

No. They did the same in Carolina. Heck, Beane drafted Benjamin in the first place.

I think the change to speed is due to Allen. Rather than turning him into a game manager, they want to encourage him to throw more and play to his strengths. Getting speed guys is essential if they want to develop his arm. I also think they're feeling more confident about our offensive line, so speed guys are making sense. If the QB doesn't have time to throw, you want big bodied guys who can overpower backs.

Edited by mozillameister

17 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

That's not true. They brought in Foster. They've brought in other WR's with speed that have not worked out. Only recently have they had SUCCESS with speed WR's, but they've been looking and signing guys.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're bluffing or not accurately remembering what was said or interpreting the way something was said to mean something that wasn't directly said.

Sorry to put that so bluntly. You're a quality poster and I generally like your posting, but I followed those Summer PCs very closely and never heard or read any such comments. 

If they happened, you should easily be able to find a link because the media coverage by Joe B and Fairburn and such of comments like that would have been bananas.

No I’m not, he said VERBATIM...”The plan going into the 3rd preseason game was to start Josh week 1” and then followed it up saying that after he struggled that game they decided to work with him a little more first.  

This isn’t even the first time it’s been discussed on the board.  You are literally saying something didn’t happen that you have no idea if it did or didn’t.  Just because you missed it doesn’t mean he didn’t say it.  

So no disrespect, but he said it word for word in a presser.  If it means this much to you, then go watch them back, they are probably still on Perisocpe too if you follow Buffalo Bills there.  I do for all the press conferences with Coaches and players 

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No I’m not, he said VERBATIM...”The plan going into the 3rd preseason game was to start Josh week 1” and then followed it up saying that after he struggled that game they decided to work with him a little more first.  

This isn’t even the first time it’s been discussed on the board.  You are literally saying something didn’t happen that you have no idea if it did or didn’t.  Just because you missed it doesn’t mean he didn’t say it.  

So no disrespect, but he said it word for word in a presser.  If it means this much to you, then go watch them back, they are probably still on Perisocpe too if you follow Buffalo Bills there.  I do for all the press conferences with Coaches and players 

Again, when did they say that? When did anyone say that, verbatim?

If it were said, it would be in print. I guarantee it.

Please find the date of the PC, which you are insinuating, I suppose, would have come when...??? After preseason game 3?  ...After Peterman sucked in Baltimore???

Regardless, when you said:

On 11/22/2018 at 9:03 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

No.  They already said they intended for Allen to start week 1 but tried to delay a little longer after he struggled in the third preseason game.  

I would expect you could at least find a link to those completely "lyin-through-my-teeth-as-I-try-to-cover-my-tracks comments that must've come (if they came at all) after some of the utterly disgraceful QB play we had this season.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

16 hours ago, LTF said:

It is not easy to add receivers when you have a rookie quarterback and a bad offensive line.  There are only a few good free agent wide receivers each year and they usually go where they be assured the quarterback throwing to them is experienced.  Who exactly could the Bills have added?  Everyone loves to criticize but they never have names of players the Bills should have signed.  Drafting a good wide receiver is not easy either unless you are prepared to use a number 1 draft pick.

There was alot of Wrs in 2017 draft. We passed on them. We traded up twice once for Zay and the other for Dawkins. That draft was loaded with offensive talent. Not only did we pass on Wrs we passed on TEs and RBs .

Wrs

Juju 2nd

Galladay 3rd

Godwin 3rd

Dede Westbrook 3rd

Kupp 4th

RBs

Hunt 3rd

Kamara 3rd

Cohen 5th

TEs

Kittle 5th

Everett 2nd

7 hours ago, MJS said:

That's not true. They brought in Foster. They've brought in other WR's with speed that have not worked out. Only recently have they had SUCCESS with speed WR's, but they've been looking and signing guys.

U kidding me. They brought in Foster. Loool

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Again, when did they say that? When did anyone say that, verbatim?

If it were said, it would be in print. I guarantee it.

Please find the date of the PC, which you are insinuating, I suppose, would have come when...??? After preseason game 3?  ...After Peterman sucked in Baltimore???

Regardless, when you said:

I would expect you could at least find a link to those completely "lyin-through-my-teeth-as-I-try-to-cover-my-tracks comments that must've come (if they came at all) after some of the utterly disgraceful QB play we had this season.

First of all, this isn’t a big deal but youre dwelling on it for some reason.  Second of all, reporters were reporting on this all they way back in Septmeber before McD said it in a press conference later as well.  And it took 2 seconds to google it and find it.  

If you want to hear McD say it too for some odd reason, then go watch his pressers.  I could care less if you don’t believe it because you missed it.  Why you even care so much over this one thing is beyond me.  You already said I am a good poster, so you should know I would not just make up something as irrelevant and stupid as this in the first place.  I firmly stand by my comment, and if you want it validated so badly, then you can watch them yourself.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/14/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-start-sean-mcdermott-2/amp/

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First of all, this isn’t a big deal but youre dwelling on it for some reason.  Second of all, reporters were reporting on this all they way back in Septmeber before McD said it in a press conference later as well.  And it took 2 seconds to google it and find it.  

If you want to hear McD say it too for some odd reason, then go watch his pressers.  I could care less if you don’t believe it because you missed it.  Why you even care so much over this one thing is beyond me.  You already said I am a good poster, so you should know I would not just make up something as irrelevant and stupid as this in the first place.  I firmly stand by my comment, and if you want it validated so badly, then you can watch them yourself.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/14/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-start-sean-mcdermott-2/amp/

A misunderstanding apparently, but in responding to the OP, who was talking about roster setup for the season, built over spring and summer, and then you responding with your comments, it made it sound like the plan for Allen to start began during that Spring/early Summer when Beane could have brought in certain WRs.

Yeah, leading into the 3rd preseason with Allen game indicates obviously, at that point, he's going to likely start.

Still stupid not starting him at that point rather than relying on a single half of football to make your decision. 

But if it were the plan to have him start for significantly longer--as I thought you meant--it would have been monumentally stupid and almost a firable offense.

• Like (+1) 1