Cover 1: The Bills Are Changing Their Approach to the WR Position

26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm not staying we are even close to NFL WR's but I play flag football once a week and all the WR's wear those damn gloves. I very rarely see anyone drop catchable passes that hit WR's in the hands. When I see KB drop a pass that hits him in the hands it just makes me sick.

Well in fairness the passes your flag football guys catch are coming at them waaaaaaay slower than when an NFL QB throws it.  Even Peterman would have a cannon compared to your weekend buddies.  Not to mention the game is moving 5 times faster in the NFL

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't know why this is a recent revelation to Beane and McDermott. 

I don’t think it’s a revelation more than it was we just didn’t have a lot of good WRs with speed.  I mean Foster played himself onto the practice squad with poor ball tracking and just not getting the job done.  

Kudos to him for earning his way back and McD and Beane seeing it and getting him out there.  And kudos for pouncing on a speed guy the moment he got released and getting him in here.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well in fairness the passes your flag football guys catch are coming at them waaaaaaay slower than when an NFL QB throws it.  Even Peterman would have a cannon compared to your weekend buddies.  Not to mention the game is moving 5 times faster in the NFL

I don’t think it’s a revelation more than it was we just didn’t have a lot of good WRs with speed.  I mean Foster played himself onto the practice squad with poor ball tracking and just not getting the job done.  

Kudos to him for earning his way back and McD and Beane seeing it and getting him out there.  And kudos for pouncing on a speed guy the moment he got released and getting him in here.

They didn't because it wasn't enough of a priority. That's on them. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They didn't because it wasn't enough of a priority. That's on them. 

Well we didn’t have cap room to do a lot there and also on paper the group didn’t look as bad as it’s performed this year.  If anyone says now they felt KB would have this bad of a year during his contract year and showing some flashes in preseason is lying. 

KB insplaying at a level barely worthy of a roster spot when he’s been a starting caliber WR his whole career.  

You cant prioritize a whole roster in one season.  We addressed (quite well I will add) other major holes this offseason too.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Well we didn’t have cap room to do a lot there and also on paper the group didn’t look as bad as it’s performed this year.  If anyone says now they felt KB would have this bad of a year during his contract year and showing some flashes in preseason is lying. 

KB insplaying at a level barely worthy of a roster spot when he’s been a starting caliber WR his whole career.  

You cant prioritize a whole roster in one season.  We addressed (quite well I will add) other major holes this offseason too.

Cap room? They spent good money on Star and Trent Murphy in addition to using 4 of the top 5 draft picks on defense. You're making excuses. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cap room? They spent good money on Star and Trent Murphy in addition to using 4 of the top 5 draft picks on defense. You're making excuses. 

Excuses?  We have a top 5 defense right now.  I just said they addressed other needs.  LMAO, I mean in the very post you replied too I literally just said that.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Excuses?  We have a top 5 defense right now.  I just said they addressed other needs.  LMAO, I mean in the very post you replied too I literally just said that.  

Defense aside, the neglect at the WR position until mid to late in the season was a miscalculation that you're trying to excuse. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Plus benjamin is one of the bigger hits on the team and cost a pick. 

They swung and missed and need to own it 

Edited by NoSaint

49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I loved that they wanted Kirk. They tried to get John Brown too. An UDFA rookie doesn’t count as valuing speed though. If anything, it’s an indictment on their inability to add speed that Foster was the best option. McKenzie was added after the middle of the season as they realized that speed was needed. That’s a reaction to a tragic passing game. They should have made it a bigger priority. Speed isn’t “optional” in today’s NFL. They treated it as such and learned a hard lesson. Thankfully, they did appear to learn that lesson.

It wasn't for lack of trying, just lack of good options. Like you said they tried getting John Brown. Foster appears to be developing and they took advantage of McKenzie getting waived. They know speed is important. They haven't had good opportunities to add it. Certainly the worst move they've made since coming here is trading for Benjamin and I'm sure they know that. I'll be shocked if we don't draft a receiver in the first 2 rounds.

Speed didn’t have to be expensive. It just needed to be prioritized. A guy like McKenzie costs peanuts and can impact a game. Speed opens the running game. They drafted a big armed QB as well. They needed to have a guy to stretch the field. They undervalued it. Fortunately, they’ve come around. A lot of us though thought this months ago. It was absolutely a mistake but not one that can’t be corrected. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The “can’t fill every hole in one offseason” excuse from happy was pretty weak. Even if you limit it solely to beane — he traded away Sammy and acquired benjamin and Matthews. Had kerley for 6 months and cut him the day after guaranteeing his salary. Never gave Coleman much of a shot. 

Trading Sammy was the right move. He is nowhere near as productive as he should be with that contract. And it's not for lack of a good passing offense. He just isn't that good. Coleman is an example of what I'm talking about, they've been trying to add speed to the receiving group all season. I haven't heard any good suggestions from anyone here. Foster and McKenzie is the best they're going to get for right now. Next year with $80 million in cap space and a full draft they'll keep adding.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It wasn't for lack of trying, just lack of good options. Like you said they tried getting John Brown. Foster appears to be developing and they took advantage of McKenzie getting waived. They know speed is important. They haven't had good opportunities to add it. Certainly the worst move they've made since coming here is trading for Benjamin and I'm sure they know that. I'll be shocked if we don't draft a receiver in the first 2 rounds.

They could have drafted a guy like St. Brown for example. They undervalued speed. They realized it was a mistake and have tried to correct it. 

One thing that often bothers me about discussions here is the expectation that everyone is perfect and perfect from day one.  

Zay Jones isn't perfect and wasn't perfect from day one.  Now he looks okay. 

McDermott is a defensive coach.  He isn't going to be perfect on offense and wasn't perfect on day one. 

What's most important is that the coach makes changes when things aren't right. He had a plan for the offense and he doesn't like how it's gone. So he's changing.  

Would you rather have a coach who changes or stubbornly sticks with what isn't working?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Defense aside, the neglect at the WR position until mid to late in the season was a miscalculation that you're trying to excuse. 

Lol.  Again, I just said no one expected this group to play as bad as it did, especially KB in a contract season.  Nobody felt it was some great group, but it’s also played substantially worse than even the lowest expectations.  

And once the group was struggling, they made moves to address it during the season.  You’re just obsessed with assigning blame and pointing fingers to fill negative opinions.  At some point, professionals like KB get to own their responsibility for the complete crap show they put on the field that’s way below the level they played before.  If anyone says they knew KB would play like a practice squad player then they are lying.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It’s also deciding to trade Sammy, let Goodwin walk, let woods walk, trade up in the first twice, chase zay, trade for Coleman but not Gordon, and chase multiple free agents but not win them 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol.  Again, I just said no one expected this group to play as bad as it did, especially KB in a contract season.  Nobody felt it was some great group, but it’s also played substantially worse than even the lowest expectations.  

And once the group was struggling, they made moves to address it during the season.  You’re just obsessed with assigning blame and pointing fingers to fill negative opinions.  At some point, professionals like KB get to own their responsibility for the complete crap show they put on the field that’s way below the level they played before.  If anyone says they knew KB would play like a practice squad player then they are lying.  

You're obssessed with defending all things Bills even when criticism is warranted as it is in this case. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They could have drafted a guy like St. Brown for example. They undervalued speed. They realized it was a mistake and have tried to correct it. 

I agree.  The important point fro

Where we sit today is the last sentence.