CA fires

And here come the rains and here comes the mudslides.  Again, clearing the brush is not the answer.  For me the answer is we just deal with it.  We choose to live here and though we have earthquakes, fires, mudslides, Jerry Brown and now Gavin Newsome, at least I don't have to shovel snow just to get to work in the winter.  So we got that going for us....which is nice. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And here come the rains and here comes the mudslides.  Again, clearing the brush is not the answer.  For me the answer is we just deal with it.  We choose to live here and though we have earthquakes, fires, mudslides, Jerry Brown and now Gavin Newsome, at least I don't have to shovel snow just to get to work in the winter.  So we got that going for us....which is nice. 

maybe it's just me but that sounds like being on the wrong side of the ledger.

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Not at all.  I've lived here for over 35 years.  I have not lost so much as a wine glass to an earthquake, had one millimeter of mud in my house due to mudslides nor a bit of  any tree on any of my properties singed by fire and I've lived in 9 different neighborhoods in that time.  On the other hand all the WNY/East Coast folks have to shovel snow constantly every winter.  So having said that I am absolutely on the right side of the ledger.  Now the Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsome thing?  Oh well it's not all Paradise.  And after these fires who wants to live in Paradise anyway?

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it looks like PG&E will be safe from liability. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/20/pge-friendly-wildfire-bill-being-eyed-by-state-lawmakers-in-wake-of-lethal-butte-county-inferno/amp/

BTW PG&E is responsible for 17 of the last 21 CA wildfires. 

How many of the state, municipalities and teachers unions pensions are tied into PG&E?

7 hours ago, Foxx said:

It is for some, it's not for others. Jim is right in that beyond emergency supplies and wall mounts, there's little you can do with earthquakes other than worry you can get to a safe spot when one hits. Fires, on the other hand, don't care where you live. What happened in Paradise was the exception, not the rule. Most people get enough warning to pack up. Mudslides...well...you know what you get if you live in a mudslide area, so I'm not crying for those folks. 

Truth is, none of those things make CA a dangerous place to live. It's the people running the state, especially now that the lone bastion of red is now fully blue. Jim doesn't really care, in part because he's good with money and in another part because he understands he shouldn't reproduce. Having children in CA changes your view of the state for reasons too numerous to clog this thread.

More to the point, I grew up plowing snow, and I can't wait to get the hell out of here and do it again. Tomato, tomahto.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it looks like PG&E will be safe from liability. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/20/pge-friendly-wildfire-bill-being-eyed-by-state-lawmakers-in-wake-of-lethal-butte-county-inferno/amp/

BTW PG&E is responsible for 17 of the last 21 CA wildfires. 

They also get to pass on their losses to their customers without question, following Brown's signature a few months ago.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1