Buffalo on decline

Rudyc80

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../ABN3813057.htm

im telling ya...theres no way anyone can say we are a better team then last year and give any reason to believe that!

Unreal how TD has not gotten us in the playoffs for 5 years and now has added another to his resume.

285497[/snapback]

The premise here is that:

1. Losman or Holcomb is a downgrade from Bledsoe.

2. Our uncertainty at LT is a downgrade from JJ.

3. Losing PW will be a big downgrade for this D.

Actually, these three points are quite uncertain as to whether they are true and can be quite easily totally wrong.

1. My guess is that no one is going to get rich investing in Losman's first year as a starter or on the expectation that Holcomb will carry this team. However, i think that the proof is in the books that Bledsoe played much better in 2004 than his horrendous year in 2003, but his play at QB was inadequate for the Bills. He could not and did not carry this team on his shoulders last year.

It makes sense to me that Losman and/or Holcomb will prove to be inadequate players in 2005, but my sense of whether in the final judgment the Bills prove to be in decline. on the rise, or stable is that in an example like the 2000 Ravens, I thought Trent Dilfer was also an inadequate player who started at QB for them. but they won the SB going away because they had a great D and were well-coached to play to their strength and Dilfer was good enough to never try to carry the team on his shoulders and instead worked to not make mistakes,

I simply do not see either Losman or Holcomb as much of a downgrade from Bledsoe who still could be a top quality #2 in this league. The key is whether MM/Clements coach Losman the right way to minimize mistakes the way RoboQB did for Pitts in 2004.

2. Its reasonable for someone to feel antsy about the fact the Bills have no one at LT right now. However, by my count, the Bills have about 9 or 10 options for developing this player and most of them are already on the roster, Most of these choices in my view are bad and won't work even though knowledgable folks such as Simon or John form Hemet have endorsed these ideas. Even beyond the unlikely development options, the Bills have two players on the current roster that could end up playing the position if KMac judges them ready for the job (Teague, MW) and seem to have a lead position on getting Shelton for Henry if this goesthe way today;s articles have it going.

Predicting that this replacement will be a downgrade from JJ also gives Jenniing a bit too much credit for being healthy all the time, and for the success we had getting rushing yards with WM and reducing our sack totals. In addition to missing a start or two, JJ was unable to finish a couple of games due to nicks and LTs who saw signficant time for the Bills last year include not only Marcu Price, but even Leonard Smith and Dylan McFarland.

This is not a done deal yet and it is to early to declare this a drop-off.

3. I like Phat Pat as a player and I think we will miss him as a person. However, the stats indicate that he was in on about 62% of the teams D plays last year. Thus on almost 4 of 10 plays the Bills already have found and used another answer which helped them to one of the highesr statistical performances for a D in this league,

Based on the numbers, the Bills may actually show no drp-off whatsoever from PW going bye0bye though obviously this will mean that Edwards, Bannan or Anderson will need to step up. Maybe maybe not, but the definite doom predictions are unsupported by the facts.

lists like these are stupid when Free agency is just really getting started, the draft hasn't taken place, and players have not reported to training camp. Getting all riled up over this is complete nonsense.

The oline can and will be fixed through free agency or the draft, Pat williams is 32 years old and simply not worth the contract the vikings gave him defering his bonus making his contract this year to be around 7.2 million dollars. You really want to pay a 32 year old dt that much money? If you do I got a spot on the brooklyn bridge for low rent that I can sell you. The only legit gripe here is at the quaterback position. However in the long run it's the right move, as mularkeys system is basically set up for a mobile qb. Losman is an unknown, but it's time to move in a new direction compared to the known in bledsoe. We weren't going anywhere with him anyway.

A solid lt, lg, te and the oline is improved. Defensive depth in the draft and we can than deal with the coming free agent crisis we'll have on that side of the ball within the next 2 years. Don't hit the panic button just yet.

2. Buffalo - Forget that late-season playoff run, the Bills have taken a step back. Either cut-rate newcomer Kelly Holcomb or the inexperienced J.P. Losman will be taking the snaps in 2005, and will be operating behind a line that just lost left tackle Jonas Jennings. On the other side of the ball, the departure of key run-stuffer Pat Williams to the Vikings will undoubtedly be felt in a big way. Don't expect the Patriots, Jets, and improving Dolphins to be very forgiving to Buffalo's plight come the fall.

The Truth Hurts. 3-13 :huh:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../ABN3813057.htm

im telling ya...theres no way anyone can say we are a better team then last year and give any reason to believe that!

Unreal how TD has not gotten us in the playoffs for 5 years and now has added another to his resume.

285497[/snapback]

The author, Tony Moss, is based out of Philly and covers Division 1-AA college football for the sportsnetwork. com.

In reviewing his credentials, I see no mention of him ever covering NFL football. Looks like a filler off-season article for an internet site. Take his " expertise " ( snicker ) at face value.