California wildfires

Jon in Pasadena

On 11/13/2018 at 5:59 PM, Boyst62 said:

The mountains of California topographically are similar.to the mountains of North Carolina.  Is that not understandable?

Let me again tell you, you are wrong. What is your background. Are you a geologist?

23 minutes ago, Wacka said:

But an earthquake is another story. Tile roofs a no-no in  quake prone areas.

Yeah... That's the sucky part.  WTF... The only thing you can do is persevere.  The Earth won't stop.

To quote The Dead:

"The wheel is turning and you can't slow down...

...You can't let go and you can't hold on,

You can't go back and you can't stand still,
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.
Small wheel turn by the fire and rod..."

~The Wheel

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

This is a beautiful picture of the topography of the Carolinas. 

133AE7F3-E4C2-4D77-9700-ECCA5F1CA802.jpeg

I agree, Carolina mountain so tall you can see him all the way from the California welcome Center. If you look close you can see Denver there in the valley.

Edited by Boyst62

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Does not make the topography even remotely similar. 

What? Trees don't grow so they don't need to clear cut.

If people live in a forest, probably best they chopped the trees down around their home every once in a while.  You know manage it... Because if they don't, Mutha Nature will do it for them.

Good thing, bright side.  Don't have to worry about forest fires in the burn zone now for about 30 years.  Keep on building.  Get a new house in 30 years.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What? Trees don't grow so they don't need to clear cut.

If people live in a forest, probably best they chopped the trees down around their home every once in a while.  You know manage it... Because if they don't, Mutha Nature will do it for them.

Good thing, bright side.  Don't have to worry about forest fires in the burn zone now for about 30 years.  Keep on building.  Get a new house in 30 years.

My point has been that and will continue to be that most of the homes that burn are surrounded by scrub not forests. We already do manage the scrub as best possible. How do you pick and choose which brush you clear?  You can’t clear it all otherwise you compromise the hillsides during our rainy season.  Even if we did did remove the fuel around residential areas embers blow from miles away. So what I’m really doing is mocking Donald and the people here saying “just manage the forests!”  It’s has been and will always be one of the prices people pay for living here. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

My point has been that and will continue to be that most of the homes that burn are surrounded by scrub not forests. We already do manage the scrub as best possible. How do you pick and choose which brush you clear?  You can’t clear it all otherwise you compromise the hillsides during our rainy season.  Even if we did did remove the fuel around residential areas embers blow from miles away. So what I’m really doing is mocking Donald and the people here saying “just manage the forests!”  It’s has been and will always be one of the prices people pay for living here. 

Yeah.  He needs to be mocked.

My point is that it's just not a livable area. Don't build there.  That's the real problem.  To many people, too much development in areas not intended as a human habitat.

That's managing the forests too.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah.  He needs to be mocked.

My point is that it's just not a livable area. Don't build there.  That's the real problem.  To many people, too much development in areas not intended as a human habitat.

That's managing the forests too.

Oh it’s very livable!  

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

It's livable up here in Tahoe!  Getting away from the smoke for a few days.

Cold up here and the house we're borrowing hadn't been opened for the winter, so first thing I did after turning on the water was......lit a fire.   

I was talking to a friend who lives down the Peninsula in Menlo Park.  Quite a distance from the fires and says her house smells of smoke.  I saw webcam footage of The Bay. It's a smokey mess there.  Glad you got out for a few days.  I heard spending the day in SF is like smoking 10 cigarettes. 

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I was talking to a friend who lives down the Peninsula in Menlo Park.  Quite a distance from the fires and says her house smells of smoke.  I saw webcam footage of The Bay. It's a smokey mess there.  Glad you got out for a few days.  I heard spending the day in SF is like smoking 10 cigarettes. 

It wasn't that bad until late Thursday afternoon when it suddenly got much worse.  Friday was awful;  basically no difference being indoors.

But even that was nothing compared to what Sacramento looked like driving up here.  Like driving into the abyss on the highway, couldn't see anything but the cars in front.

We're half joking about telling people we're relocating Thanksgiving to Soda Springs.

26 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It wasn't that bad until late Thursday afternoon when it suddenly got much worse.  Friday was awful;  basically no difference being indoors.

But even that was nothing compared to what Sacramento looked like driving up here.  Like driving into the abyss on the highway, couldn't see anything but the cars in front.

We're half joking about telling people we're relocating Thanksgiving to Soda Springs.

On a completely different note but related sort of. We typically spend Thanksgiving with friends in Palm Springs. My favorite town to drive through between Riverside and Moreno Valley is Box Springs. ?. Yes I’m easily amused. 

• Haha (+1) 2