And more piling on.....

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I suspect having the worst point differential in the league has something to say about that. 

So, you admit you were making things up. 

Like I said, you should take a different approach to the argument in order to have a good discussion.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

So, you admit you were making things up. 

Like I said, you should take a different approach to the argument in order to have a good discussion.

Nothing is being made up.

The Bills have the worst point differential in the NFL and are often down 20+ points. The result is that they wind up going for it more than your average NFL team that is in close games most of the time.

When the Bills are in one score games, we never go for it on 4th down. Against the Pats we punted multiple times from around midfield down 1 score in opposition territory. 

When games are close McDermott plays super conservatively. That's who he is. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Look, it's really pretty simple.  We are all frustrated right now.  I get that.  I did my share of screaming at the TV on Sunday myself.  But this stuff about Beane not being trusted, getting 9 of 10 decisions wrong when that is demonstrably not true, calling for guys to be fired right now even knowing going into the season we had drafted a young QB that would at some point be put into the lineup, knowing they decided to take the big cap hit all at once, it just gets a bit over the top.

There was a thread that started a week ago that if Beane did not do X by the end of the day (that day being the final day for trades) he should not have a job at 4:00.  Well, it's 7 days later and he has a job.  One guy around here who likes to think he's some kind of QB savant goes on and on about the QB position:  how could the Bills have passed on Watson and Mahomes, the front office is clueless because he did so.  Then today what happens?  Someone finds a post from the same exact guy prior to the 2017 draft, where he says the Bills would be crazy to draft either Watson or Mahomes.  Same exact guy, saying exactly the opposite things.

I'll give you another example.  People talk all the time about the current regime not understanding what it takes to win in the modern NFL, that it is an offense league now.  And they somehow choose to ignore that Beane said right before last year's draft that you have to have a star QB to win.  McD said something similar just yesterday, but no one quotes that.

Again, we are all frustrated. All these threads about how so and so has to be fired, that they have no clue, and so on.  What purpose do they serve other than letting people just get their emotions out, because they know that no one is getting fired tomorrow or anytime soon.  If that's cathartic for some, fine.  I just find it puzzling.

My perspective comes with the wisdom of age, I suppose.  I have seen worse in the Bills history, with thoughts of 1967 and 68, 1977, the early 80's that come to mind.  Head coaches that were much worse.  GM's that were truly clueless.  The current season reminds me somewhat of the year right before Polian took over.  He went to Ralph and told him it would take money and time to turn things around.  And he was right.  And it took a few years, and an effective partnership between HC and GM to make it happen.

I have no idea whether Beane and McD are going to ultimately be successful.  Together they've had one draft, and they got the guy they think can be the long hoped for answer at QB (and, predictably, when they did that fans who have been clamoring for years that they never draft a QB immediately change tune and talk about how they should have had pieces to put around a young QB before drafting one).  Their success or failure will ride on Allen and how they use their cap space and draft picks to build the roster.  If they do well they will build a winner.  If not, they'll get fired.  As it should be.  But screaming about firing and all that kind of stuff?  If it's not some emotional rant just to rant, then what is it exactly?

I agree with this post!  And I can keep mine short (for a change), because it's all here.

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Nothing is being made up.

The Bills have the worst point differential in the NFL and are often down 20+ points. The result is that they wind up going for it more than your average NFL team that is in close games most of the time.

When the Bills are in one score games, we never go for it on 4th down. Against the Pats we punted multiple times from around midfield down 1 score in opposition territory. 

When games are close McDermott plays super conservatively. That's who he is. 

You're coming up with a slightly better argument here with a more specific statement. Good things happen when you use your words.

I would argue that they have a terrible offense and poor 4th down conversion percentage. Plus they have a good defense. So, why would you risk it in a close game, instead of pinning the Pats back deeper and playing field position?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

You're coming up with a slightly better argument here with a more specific statement. Good things happen when you use your words.

I would argue that they have a terrible offense and poor 4th down conversion percentage. Plus they have a good defense. So, why would you risk it in a close game, instead of pinning the Pats back deeper and playing field position?

Because you're playing the Pats who score 30 points a game and expecting to win the game by scoring 13 points is an abysmal strategy. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Well...you are seeing it so wrap your mind around it

You're right. It's week 9 and our Head Coach hasn't been fired.

We'll see what happens if his offense sets a franchise record for fewest points scored and biggest point differential and they're playing to half empty stadiums in December. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Because you're playing the Pats who score 30 points a game and expecting to win the game by scoring 13 points is an abysmal strategy. 

You're right. It's week 9 and our Head Coach hasn't been fired.

We'll see what happens if his offense sets a franchise record for fewest points scored and biggest point differential and they're playing to half empty stadiums in December. 

rebiulding is hard......brace yourself for the bills hunkering down and understanding that draft position is important this next offseason

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

rebiulding is hard......brace yourself for the bills hunkering down and understanding that draft position is important this next offseason

i'm up for 3 years of this kind of ineptitude on full display

no turning back now on the Bills

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Their offense only scored 19 points on us that game. One offensive TD. So, you're basing your strategy on a false assumption. You'll need to adjust your strategy.

Punt to pin the Pats back. Make a stop on D and give your terrible offense a better chance with a shorter field. That's the correct strategy.

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Their offense only scored 19 points on us that game. One offensive TD. So, you're basing your strategy on a false assumption. You'll need to adjust your strategy.

Punt to pin the Pats back. Make a stop on D and give your terrible offense a better chance with a shorter field. That's the correct strategy.

Any team but the Pats as an example is good.

Except it is not 3 years

We made the playoffs in the 1st year of the rebiuld

i saw almost 20 years of rebuild to get that fluke playoff thing

i fully expect 3 more years of rebuild but also realize it could be another 20 before another fluke playoff fiasco.

superfan right here

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Any team but the Pats as an example is good.

i saw almost 20 years of rebuild to get that fluke playoff thing

i fully expect 3 more years of rebuild but also realize it could be another 20 before another fluke playoff fiasco.

superfan right here

Sir...you have NOT seen 20 years of rebuld

That is PART OF THE PROBLEM they were not rebiulding....they were playing the "plug holes" game....they were paying too much for players that were producing too little......the salary cap was a mess....they were not aggressively trying to improve the QB position.

What you are seeing now (and last year) is something different then what they have been doing previously........

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Feel free to elaborate. The Bills D held the Pats O in check for 3 quarters with no help from the offense.

every opponent knows that you play 100% risk-free on the Bills and wait for them to crater multiple times for the easy cakewalk win

Brady was fine to go 3 and out for 55 minutes, they are smart that way

Sir...you have NOT seen 20 years of rebuld

That is PART OF THE PROBLEM they were not rebiulding....they were playing the "plug holes" game....they were paying too much for players that were producing too little......the salary cap was a mess....they were not aggressively trying to improve the QB position.

What you are seeing now (and last year) is something different then what they have been doing previously........

it's just a dark tunnel of crappy NFL football, unfortunately probably the best dynasty in NFL history was in their division, an example on how to play and and an example the Bills have completely ignored for almost 20 seasons now

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

every opponent knows that you play 100% risk-free on the Bills and wait for them to crater multiple times for the easy cakewalk win

Brady was fine to go 3 and out for 55 minutes, they are smart that way

Noted. Thanks for your input.