Is the CFP ranking process flawed?

YoloinOhio

Why would hoops be weighted to big conferences?

One player can take a team to the championship (Larry Bird)

UNLV, DePaul, Butler, Gonzaga, Marquette have done well

hoops has always promoted midmajors at the expense of big conferences

up to the mid 70s only the conference  tournament champion went to “March Madness

the ACC often had 3 of the top 5 teams in the country but only the winner that one weekend got in

dont worry about it happening in football...

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

just like the NCAA and the networks agreeing not to make a single school a marketing device

oops, NBC just swooped up ND and broke all that, it hasn't remotely paid off

It sure pays off for the school though

*Cough* Longhorn Network *cough*

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

It sure pays off for the school though

*Cough* Longhorn Network *cough*

networks are gleeful sacrificial lambs to hemorrhage billions so I can watch hockey and football and the olympics on basic cable

23 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

So they can preserve their cash cow solo television deal and not be "forced" to go in with the rest of a conference.  It also gives them more leeway for their tactful scheduling.

ND hoops is not a big deal nationally

no names worth noting since Tripucka/Hanzlik/Woolridge/Paxson/Laimbeer played in the same era

21 hours ago, row_33 said:

Why would hoops be weighted to big conferences?

One player can take a team to the championship (Larry Bird)

UNLV, DePaul, Butler, Gonzaga, Marquette have done well

hoops has always promoted midmajors at the expense of big conferences

up to the mid 70s only the conference  tournament champion went to “March Madness

the ACC often had 3 of the top 5 teams in the country but only the winner that one weekend got in

dont worry about it happening in football...

I do not mean this as an offense but how old are you? I can not argue 1975 info since i was not born. You are arguing that power 5 do not get preference at a shot at the tournament? Maybe before 1995 but twice in the past 4 years Syracuse has made the tourney despite having no right to being in field at all. The other point you have about midmajors making impacts is correct but with the exception of st joes who won like 30 in a row no one allows a midmajor to be #1 in rankings withput being good for literally 10 years in a row. 

You for some reason have declared the godlike power of declaring Syracuse does not deserve a spot.

I'm just a mere mortal who watches sport and hopes I don’t feel ripped off watching a game

good luck to you in life

Lots of talk in the Twittersphere today about the athletic directors discussing an eight-team playoff for 2020. Teams ranked 1-4 would get a home game against 5-8. 

I would be absolutely giddy to finally welcome a southern team up north for a playoff game in December. 

According to ESPN, the SEC is against the idea. 

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Lots of talk in the Twittersphere today about the athletic directors discussing an eight-team playoff for 2020. Teams ranked 1-4 would get a home game against 5-8. 

I would be absolutely giddy to finally welcome a southern team up north for a playoff game in December. 

This the best part, hands down. 

18 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

This would be too many games for these kids imo.

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This would be too many games for these kids imo.

And will not solve a damn thing. It will only escalate the whining by the G5 crowd.

A P5 non-conference team making it over a G5 conference champion combined with even more blowouts will have the same idiots crying about expanding the playoffs even more.

Because fixing the problem adding by even more weaker teams will somehow, by magic I presume, prevent blow outs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Univeristies are there to give people their jollies about more and more football games

The teams in the finals would have 16 game seasons. Pros played only 14 for many years. That 1 extra game could destroy a multi-million dollar career for a student athlete, many of whom come from impoverished backgrounds. It isn't fair imo.

1 minute ago, Cynical said:

And will not solve a damn thing. It will only escalate the whining by the G5 crowd.

A P5 non-conference team making it over a G5 conference champion combined with even more blowouts will have the same idiots crying about expanding the playoffs even more.

Because fixing the problem adding by even more weaker teams will somehow, by magic I presume, prevent blow outs.

I even think that the conference championship games are b%%^&$@#.

18 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This the best part, hands down. 

For the uniqueness of it, or do you honestly think it would provide an advantage (game in December vs Southern team)?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.