I was a good citizen

boyst

On 10/29/2018 at 7:49 AM, Boyst62 said:

Literally no embellishment and nothing made up about it. Alas, could care less about your the views. 

Yeah... But my views on this subject are almost exactly your views.

If it all did happen as you say... I think more people should engage these pukes.  Their actions cost all of us more.  Not just with $$$ and BS material things either.

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If it all did happen as you say... I think more people should engage these pukes.  Their actions cost all of us more.  Not just with $$$ and BS material things either.

I understand your sentiment but disagree that they should have been directly engaged. What if one of these criminals when confronted pulled out a gun and shot the intervening party in the head? Would it have been the right response for the engaging citizen? The best response was to get as much information as possible of the crime and those involved and give it to the police. This was a case where all the information from witnesses, surveillance video, tag and vehicle information were all in hand. Even if the police couldn't/wouldn't have responded immediately this was a case that could have been easily solved with the thief being charged. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was entirely that. The guy was probably late 40's. Slender.  The other guy in the van was probably pushing 60.  He clearly wasn't armed by his attire and boosters generally don't carry because they're caught often enough to not want additional charges beyond theft.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was thinking that this is a good way to get shot in the face.  I’ll stick to minding my own business unless it involves protecting myself or a loved one.  I don’t give a ***** about Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Of course!

What pushes a guy like Boyst to do something like this?

But it really is your, my business, all of our business as citizens. Avoiding apathy protects your loved ones and you too.  Just don't get shot in the face. That is, be situationally aware as not to get hurt... Have a plan, which it appears Boyst did... Or whatever harm may befall on you because you found the need to intervene in a dysfunctional society that is affecting you INdirectly.  You know, it's why we have lawless sh itholes that nobody wants to put skin (and in this case, literally skin in game) in the game with.  Some people actually have to deal with these places, try to make them better.  I am not sure where Boyst was, maybe it was in the best of areas.  We don't need people tiring of the problems, abdicate the problem to others.  We all want nice things, nice places to live. Boyst made a stand.

The fear is yours or theirs.  I am not advocating a vigilante type system.  Boyst did make it miserable for the thiefs.  I assume he knew the risks.

Again... Maybe Boyst has too much "heroic interloper" in Him, yet... Shouldn't we all?  I won't fault him.  It should be in all of us as citizens.  It really does start with you (meaning you, me, all of us, even half "getting it" Boyst).

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I understand your sentiment but disagree that they should have been directly engaged. What if one of these criminals when confronted pulled out a gun and shot the intervening party in the head? Would it have been the right response for the engaging citizen? The best response was to get as much information as possible of the crime and those involved and give it to the police. This was a case where all the information from witnesses, surveillance video, tag and vehicle information were all in hand. Even if the police couldn't/wouldn't have responded immediately this was a case that could have been easily solved with the thief being charged. 

The guy had temporary tags that were months expired, in a beater, from a county not in this area. These guys know what they're doing. They drive an hour away from their location and know what to hit.  These tools will be sold to the day laborers and at flea markets. There is a hot market that happens every weekend here and the police don't care.  As long as no one gets hurt, and they don't, because they don't want to ruin a good thing. 

Police don't care about theft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course!

But it really is your, my business, all of our business as citizens. Avoiding apathy protects your loved ones and you too.  Just don't get shot in the face. That is, be situationally aware as not to get hurt... Have a plan, which it appears Boyst did... Or whatever harm may befall on you because you found the need to intervene in a dysfunctional society that is affecting you INdirectly.  You know, it's why we have lawless sh itholes that nobody wants to put skin (and in this case, literally skin in game) in the game with.  Some people actually have to deal with these places, try to make them better.  I am not sure where Boyst was, maybe it was in the best of areas.  We don't need people tiring of the problems, abdicate the problem to others.  We all want nice things, nice places to live. Boyst made a stand.

The fear is yours or theirs.  I am not advocating a vigilante type system.  Boyst did make it miserable for the thiefs.  I assume he knew the risks.

Again... Maybe Boyst has too much "heroic interloper" in Him, yet... Shouldn't we all?  I won't fault him.  It should be in all of us as citizens.  It really does start with you (meaning you, me, all of us, even half "getting it" Boyst).

I did it because I simply could. I could be a full fledged ***** and have no repercussions to get back at someone who is an ***** to society.  He pushed beyond an old lady at the door, she was in no way to be injured or obstructing him. But he'd have bowled her over, I imagine, if he could have. Me, not so much, and when I want to be I can be a pretty intimidating dude.  

I'd do it again. I wish I'd have had the right to yank the dude out of his car but I could be arrested in assault or kidnapping.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The guy had temporary tags that were months expired, in a beater, from a county not in this area. These guys know what they're doing. They drive an hour away from their location and know what to hit.  These tools will be sold to the day laborers and at flea markets. There is a hot market that happens every weekend here and the police don't care.  As long as no one gets hurt, and they don't, because they don't want to ruin a good thing. 

And Lowe's charges everybody more across the board.  My prices go up!

Just make a ton of $$$$ escape the problem.  Live with the elites.

Don't You know... It takes a Village! ?

I am on your side.  You're not a "do nothing" type guy... Boyst. Just be careful.

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

If these scalawags are hitting a series of stores the police will certainly be interested. Even if an individual case is not resolved the accumulated information from a number of jobs can contribute to an eventual arrest. 

As I told you in a prior posting my credit card theft in addition to reported other thefts led to the arrest and conviction of those involved in this particular network of criminality. It takes time and effort. If you don't believe me then ask the main arsehole who is in jail. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If these scalawags are hitting a series of stores the police will certainly be interested. Even if an individual case is not resolved the accumulated information from a number of jobs can contribute to an eventual arrest. 

As I told you in a prior posting my credit card theft in addition to reported other thefts led to the arrest and conviction of those involved in this particular network of criminality. It takes time and effort. If you don't believe me then ask the main arsehole who is in jail. 

In this area and this town they do nothing. Crime is not so good in this area; much of it unreported. Boosters in this area are very strong and thorough. Some food lions get hit 8 or 9 times a day.  The ghetto stores are not the ones hit. It's the upper and upper middle class stores where they're targeting.

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course!

Yeah, okay Charles Bronson.  You fight the good fight against retail theft.  I’ll let the stores and the authorities handle this kind of thing and rest assured that I won’t have to drink my meals through a straw for the rest of my life.  These crack/methhead boosters do crackheadish things.  They wouldn’t hesitate to cut your throat and let you bleed out in the parking lot.  

There are very few exceptions where I would feel compelled to confront a criminal in the act.  One example would be if I saw a child abduction in progress.  I couldn’t live with myself if that child were harmed.  I would intervene without hesitation.

I will sleep soundly every single night, however, knowing that Lowe’s had a few chainsaws and a claw hammer stolen.  They will survive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, okay Charles Bronson.  You fight the good fight against retail theft.  I’ll let the stores and the authorities handle this kind of thing and rest assured that I won’t have to drink my meals through a straw for the rest of my life.  These crack/methhead boosters do crackheadish things.  They wouldn’t hesitate to cut your throat and let you bleed out in the parking lot.  

There are very few exceptions where I would feel compelled to confront a criminal in the act.  One example would be if I saw a child abduction in progress.  I couldn’t live with myself if that child were harmed.  I would intervene without hesitation.

I will sleep soundly every single night, however, knowing that Lowe’s had a few chainsaws and a claw hammer stolen.  They will survive.

Yes they will survive.  But the problem becomes systemic.

I bought pieces of Pex tubing @ Home Depot back.  My dumbass forgot to bungee to roof rack.  Flew off in road.  Other cars flattened like a pancake.  I could have easily returned it.  Lady at checkout asked when I came back to buy more.  She said: "Ah, you could have exchanged it."  Now the kicker, said: "Home Depot gots lots of money."  I could just imagine what's going on with theft from the inside of that location.  Corporate is probably pulling their hair out.

Again... I get it.  Small things happen everywhere.  I work for the gov't.  We all get perks, etc... When do small things become too much.  I know a few people in retail in the not so wonderful places in town... It's why businesses move out to the suburbs.  They don't want to deal with the ignornance.

Like Boyst said... Then the attitude follows out to sprawl... Because that is where the Village make up the loss.

Maybe if we all made stands against this.  Businesses wouldn't leave and the problems follow us all around.

People are stealing from themselves.  At least Boyst is making a stand.  Everybody else aides and abets them indirectly.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes they will survive.  But the problem becomes systemic.

I bought pieces of Pex tubing @ Home Depot back.  My dumbass forgot to bungee to roof rack.  Flew off in road.  Other cars flattened like a pancake.  I could have easily returned it.  Lady at checkout asked when I came back to buy more.  She said: "Ah, you could have exchanged it."  Now the kicker, said: "Home Depot gots lots of money."  I could just imagine what's going on with theft from the inside of that location.  Corporate is probably pulling their hair out.

Again... I get it.  Small things happen everywhere.  I work for the gov't.  We all get perks, etc... When do small things become too much.  I know a few people in retail in the not so wonderful places in town... It's why businesses move out to the suburbs.  They don't want to deal with the ignornance.

Like Boyst said... Then the attitude follows out to sprawl... Because that is where the Village make up the loss.

Maybe if we all made stands against this.  Businesses wouldn't leave and the problems follow us all around.

People are stealing from themselves.  At least Boyst is making a stand.  Everybody else aides and abets them indirectly.

I find your logic meandering and silly.  Okay, well then what about your responsibility to your family to, you know, stay alive and put food on the table...love your wife...provide your children with love and guidance?

How would your family feel if you got greased by some dirtbag in the HD parking lot while trying to be a hero in stopping some petty crime?  

Further, how do you think a police officer would respond if you asked them how they would feel about you intervening in a similar situation?  I suspect they would tell you to stay safe and call the police...maybe get the plate number if you could?

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I find your logic meandering and silly.  Okay, well then what about your responsibility to your family to, you know, stay alive and put food on the table...love your wife...provide your children with love and guidance?

How would your family feel if you got greased by some dirtbag in the HD parking lot while trying to be a hero in stopping some petty crime?  

Further, how do you think a police officer would respond if you asked them how they would feel about you intervening in a similar situation?  I suspect they would tell you to stay safe and call the police...maybe get the plate number if you could?

That’s a question I keep asking myself. I asked them first, but all I got was “no comment”.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Dude... I am worth MORE to my family monetarily dead then alive. They would be on easy street the way I have them protected monetarily.

We all have a responsibility to family AND Our community.

It's not all about self.  Maybe if people took more responsibility... We wouldn't have sh ithole communities. AND believe me I live and work, send my children to school in once proud communities that let your BS way of thinking prevail.  Love and guidance, yeah that's for Your family AND community.

And don't even get me started about people not having skin in the game for their communities.  The apathy is really showing.  We got real "winners" all taking care of their own self-interests first.  It's that chicken shiest mentality that is passed on to our children more than ever before.

I respectfully disagree with your take. Somebody has to take a stand.  It starts at home.

Boyst was a good citizen.  He is fed up, went over the top of course.  Maybe the garbage we see around doesn't bother you or you can run from it (believe me @ times I want to run from it and let others handle the problems), but we are all role models in our communities.

I don't always agree with Boyst, but what are we to do?  Let the chicken shiest way prevail over the right way?

It's just "petty theft."  We become desensitized by downplaying these crimes.  They are just "boosters."  You gotta be kidding.  Maybe you got it good... But these thieves you downplay are doing a hell of lot of damage to society.

/peace.  No worries, I am still a bleeding heart liberal.  I didn't go all law & order conservative.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s a question I keep asking myself. I asked them first, but all I got was “no comment”.  ?

Thanks.

They probably would say, when does the life insurance check arrive. LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A police officers *feelings* don't matter.  A police officer saying he doesn't think someone should do it is not a legal opinion or a matter of legal consequence.  That's not how police work.  Unless an officer was there than no officer could have given an order to stand down or to stop.  There are citizens arrest laws for similar reasons. There are also a lot of complacent pussies out there who just shrug and don't care about things that are important but get upset when "muh feelings are hurted."

And as far as any threat by this ***** I confronted?  He was 6' and 180 lbs. And probably pushing 50 (almost 14 yes on me). I didn't put my body in harm's way, observed every move he made and used a great deal of rational thought and logic approaching him. He had no opportunity to touch me, he made no sudden or direct movement. His eyes stayed locked on mine the entire time.  Would I have done this if the guy was 20 years old and 250 lbs.? Probably, but I'd have gone about it differently.

Maybe because I work with a large group that utilizes boosters in their lives to live and retain goods I know how they work.  They're older folks who don't carry weapons or items in order to avoid serious charges when they are inevitably stopped. They make themselves quiet, discreet and do not resist anyone stopping them. If confronted correctly they leave their items at the door and walk away.  The grocery store ones are the best and work in pairs.  The HomeGoods work individually and just wait until there are busy front end units and walk out.  

Had I the chance to do it again I'd have just grabbed his cart and taken it from him. Or just opened his trunk and removed the items. If he stopped me or assaulted me I'd have laid him down 

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Come on dude.  What are the odds of someone shooting you in this situation.   It's not like the guy was in a ghetto standing on a street corner wearing bling with his pants hanging down half off his ass, hat turned sideways, sporting a red or blue bandanna.  Most of America is not one giant ghetto.

Why would you ever object to a person doing the right thing in a situation like that?   Most people don't have the balls to hold a stranger accountable for being a dbag thief like that.  I applaud anyone who does.

It is good when people police their own community in scenarios like this.   It is not okay to take it too far.   But it is definitely good to act within reason.   If more people acted in those situations, there would be less of those situations.    We owe it to each other to hold each other accountable.   It makes for a better world to live in as long as you don't take it too far. Just my opinion.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:01 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was thinking that this is a good way to get shot in the face.  I’ll stick to minding my own business unless it involves protecting myself or a loved one.  I don’t give a ***** about Lowe’s or Home Depot.

you and me both.  i've got ***** to do.  if a big box store can't handle themselves, i'm not going to bust out with an S on my chest and help them.  there's far more bad than good that can come out of this.

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Come on dude.  What are the odds of someone shooting you in this situation.   It's not like the guy was in a ghetto standing on a street corner wearing bling with his pants hanging down half off his ass, hat turned sideways, sporting a red or blue bandanna.  Most of America is not one giant ghetto.

Why would you ever object to a person doing the right thing in a situation like that?   Most people don't have the balls to hold a stranger accountable for being a dbag thief like that.  I applaud anyone who does.

It is good when people police their own community in scenarios like this.   It is not okay to take it too far.   But it is definitely good to act within reason.   If more people acted in those situations, there would be less of those situations.    We owe it to each other to hold each other accountable.   It makes for a better world to live in as long as you don't take it too far. Just my opinion.

that's the point.  you never know.  it's not like someone was in danger and being harmed that needed help to survive.  we're talking stolen goods.  tell someone and call the cops.  anything beyond that is just foolish when it comes to thieves...unless they were stealing from you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Oh, so someone has to be “ghetto” to be crazy enough to shoot you or stab you?  Pretty ignorant statement if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

you and me both.  i've got ***** to do.  if a big box store can't handle themselves, i'm not going to bust out with an S on my chest and help them.  there's far more bad than good that can come out of this.

Thank you.  Someone with half a brain around here.