Pegula's can now own both the Sabres & Bills

Reed83HOF

7 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Exactly. All I'm saying, is Bon Jovi doesn't own any sports teams anymore. He even made a commitment to keep them in the general region. And all these ***** ran him and his catalog of some of the greatest hits in the history of rock and roll music out of town. 

Same with Trump. He would have kept the team in Buffalo and wouldn't own any other teams so there would be no need to side-step established regulations.

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas

Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills

NOT "Pegula's" NOT "Bill's" 

NO APOSTROPHES!!!!!  THESE ARE SIMPLE FREAKING PLURAL NOUNS, NOT POSSESSIVES OR CONTRACTIONS, YOU MORONS!!!!! 

(Takes deep breath)

Hi. My name is John Kessel, I am a writer and an English professor. 

Your correct but I dont care

See what I did there? :nana:

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did this spawn from the passing of Paul Allen who had been grandfathered in and allowed to own 2 teams?

PFT is reporting that it is Kroenke wanting to take back ownership of the Nuggets and Avalanche from his family...

You do however bring up an excellent point...

26 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

PFT is reporting that it is Kroenke wanting to take back ownership of the Nuggets and Avalanche from his family...

You do however bring up an excellent point...

Well he is giving the league something they wanted badly, a team in LA, so now they scratch his back and let him have his other teams back......

Also now 2 owners pass away in a short period of time with Spanos and Allen

41 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Same with Trump. He would have kept the team in Buffalo and wouldn't own any other teams so there would be no need to side-step established regulations.

And he always keeps his honest and true word. The team never would have left Buffalo if it could make more money elsewhere.....

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Did this spawn from the passing of Paul Allen who had been grandfathered in and allowed to own 2 teams?

The way I understand it is that he was allowed to own an NBA team in Portland because there is no NFL team there. If there was, he’d have been forced to divest interest in one or the other. 

23 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Couldn't they before now?  My understanding was that NFL owners were forbidden from owning a franchise in a different sport in a different city.  Jeremy Jacobs (owner of the Boston Bruins) for instance was not permitted to be a candidate to purchase the Bills unless he divested of the Bruins.  The rule may have been changed to allow owners to own different teams in different sports AND cities, but I think the Pegulas have always been in the good graces of the league.

Yes, they could because both teams were in the same city/market. 

I believe the rule only applied to owning 2 teams in cities/states that have NFL teams, which is why Jacobs  would’ve had to divest interest (because of the Patriots). 

..... owners voted here this week to overturn the decades-old rule that prohibited cross-market ownership of professional sports leagues.

That means owners of NBA, NHL, or MLB teams in other cities could now own an NFL team, or current NFL owners could purchase other teams outside of their current home market. The idea behind the rule was to keep owners, who are considered to be partners in league business, from competing for revenue within a market. But Goodell said that notion is now outdated. (Allen also owned the Portland Trail Blazers, but the rule didn’t apply in that circumstance since Portland does not have an NFL team.)

https://theathletic.com/596437/2018/10/17/nfl-owners-meetings-seattle-seahawks-future-paul-allen-death/   (sub required) 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The way I understand it is that he was allowed to own an NBA team in Portland because there is no NFL team there. If there was, he’d have been forced to divest interest in one or the other. 

Yes, they could because both teams were in the same city/market. 

I believe the rule only applied to owning 2 teams in cities/states that have NFL teams, which is why Jacobs  would’ve had to divest interest (because of the Patriots). 

https://theathletic.com/596437/2018/10/17/nfl-owners-meetings-seattle-seahawks-future-paul-allen-death/   (sub required) 

I appreciate you providing this info, but the purposeful confusion regarding the rules of owning 2 sports teams is a long-running inside joke here. It goes back to the early Pegula days and some posters who couldnt understand the rules regardless of how many times it had been discussed. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas Pegulas

Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills Bills

NOT "Pegula's" NOT "Bill's" 

NO APOSTROPHES!!!!!  THESE ARE SIMPLE FREAKING PLURAL NOUNS, NOT POSSESSIVES OR CONTRACTIONS, YOU MORONS!!!!! 

(Takes deep breath)

Hi. My name is John Kessel, I am a writer and an English professor. 

Thank you from a grammar Nazi.

• Like (+1) 1