Anyone ever consider bringing in Doug Whaley JUST to scout pro personnel?

On 10/6/2018 at 5:49 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we sure that Beane is a better GM than Whaley? He certainly isn’t as good on the pro side. Beane gets a lot of credit for “fixing the cap” but it’s easy to tear it down. Building it back is the tricky part. We have no idea what that will look like. I have liked the way that Beane has navigated the draft. 

Due to the cap situation and the stage they're at in this rebuild, it's easy to say Beane hasn't done much for the pro side. They've signed players to reasonable, manageable deals that seem to be both teams and player friendly. McDermott brought in Hyde and Poster and Beane added Lotulelei, Murphy and Ivory this year. 

And as you pointed out, his draft (he's really only responsible for this season so far) was pretty good. Combine his picks with McDermott last year and it looks like this. 

Tre' White - shaping up to be a home run of a pick. Kid is already very good and seems to be skyrocketing his way to great. 

Zay Jones - Jury is still out. The three year rule applies to receivers especially. The college game has become a detriment to WRs and OL especially. WRs are used to pass-happy offenses with lots of small routes that don't fly in the NFL and OL prospects hardly play with their hand in the dirt. Zay is gonna stick around for a bit despite his numbers. They like his work ethic and invested a high pick on him. They'll give him every chance to succeed. 

Dion Dawkins - Unseated a 6-year starter in his rookie year and has looked pretty good. 

Matt Milano - Looks more and more like a steal every week. Always around the ball. 

Nate Peterman - Yikes on bikes. 

Tanner Vallejo - 6th round picks get cut all the time. 

Josh Allen - too early to tell but plenty to work with. 

Tremaine Edmunds - the more experience he gets the better he'll be. Can run all over the field, makes throwing over the middle tough due to his length and range.

Harrison Phillips - probably gets more playing time as the season goes on and has flashed at times. Has a chance to be solid. 

Taron Johnson - seems to be the Matt Milano of this season. Sure tackler, great instincts and awareness, good recovery speed, smart. 

Siran Neal - work in progress. 

Wyatt Teller - see Neal.

Ray-Ray McCloud - developing, at best I think he can carve out a role as a returner/gadget player, maybe deep threat.

Austin Proehl - was like, less than 5 picks from being Mr. Irrelevant, didn't work out.

Overall, they've drafted 14 players.  Seven of them are already starting. Several of them have a chance to be special players. Hitting on 8 of 14 of your draft picks like that? I'd say that's a job well done so far. 

Interested to see what they do this off-season now that they have some money to throw around. I also expect them to wheel and deal and acquire more picks and maybe flip some picks for players down the line. Should be fun. 

Edited by blacklabel

20 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Even the head of a team’s scouting department is still not pulling in millions in annual salary; why would this category be any different? Scouting of any kind is not in GM $$ territory. https://nationalfootballpost.com/are-nfl-scouting-departments-underfunded/ https://www.sapling.com/7746693/average-salary-nfl-scout

Very true and I was a little off.

Total value though over life of a NFL FO contract though would be significantly more money then Whaley makes now doing that Senior Bowl gig.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You find a GM, and you can take the entire league, that got the bang for the buck on the pro side that he did. I promise that you don’t want to go down that road because he was masterful in that area. I didn’t even mention Kiko for Shady. He is, and has been, a wizard on the pro personnel side.

His roll in the Kiko trade was just to answer the phone. Chip Kelly wanted his Kiko back and wanted to get rid of Shady. 

Clearly we have different opinions on the man. I see him as average but there seemed to be internal friction issues around him and Marrone that seemed to hold the team back. 

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sure:

Zach Brown (minimal salary - Pro Bowl) 

Mike Gillislee (5.7 YPC tops in the league & 8 TDS)

Poyer

Hyde

Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard

Does that work for you?

While it's true Whaley had an eye for some defensive talent. 

It was that Idiot Indy GM Grigson who initiated that trade with Buffalo for Hughes as he wanted that last #1 pick of Bill Polian gone from the team. I have friends that are Colts fans and they are still bitching about Grigson who made the phone call to Buffalo. 

It was also Chip Kelly who called Buffalo to move LeSean McCoy out of Philly to Buffalo and Whaley obliged. 

To his credit Whaley did have a hand in helping build a better Buffalo Bills roster in certain areas.